lets have a chat about how well built Sony cameras and lenses are compared to the current competition

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Recently I have tried out a few other camera brands in store or when out and about when meeting fellow shooters, I keep coming back to the thought regardless of specs that the Sony bodies and lenses are so well built compared to current Canon, Olympus , Nikon , Well I have an Olympus and that to be honest is a cracking little system but very fragile feeling compared to Sony. Now is this a factor in your thinking because it has to be for me I have realised , and also thinking about the old cameras I and we have had before do we think Sonys work well in terms of faults occurring which result in requiring repair. Is one of the big reasons Sony is a draw for for many not just lenses and bodies available but also reliability and build quality, and do we think any of the mirrorless generation of cameras will last in the sense of you could find a working version years from now like the old classics, as usual post thoughts all welcome

I think that the quality of the cameras, even the pro spec ones seem to have gone down. I tried a friends Z9, its heavy but I don't think that it is the same build quality as the old D5 I had. Ok my A1 didn't survive a drop very well but I don't know if any of the other brands would fair any better.

Showing some nice images and trying to make people laugh, I am trying.

Claiming Sony is the best is a great way to wind Timmy up but... 😋

Getting serious. Being a man who is around great and also not so great machinery all day, I can see when something is well built or not.

The A7 body camera is very well built. They feel extremely sturdy in hand. I've been nothing but impressed! Even the new A7RV screen mechanism, I was sceptical to see how solid it would be but it doesn't feel flimsy at all.

I've held Canon and Nikon and I thought they seemed quite fine too although I obviously don't have the experience of owning other brands like many others do here and I haven't had a thorough check of them either.

I like Sony G and GM lenses the best of the three brands.

Getting serious. Being a man who is around great and also not so great machinery all day, I can see when something is well built or not.

The A7 body camera is very well built. They feel extremely sturdy in hand. I've been nothing but impressed! Even the new A7RV screen mechanism, I was sceptical to see how solid it would be but it doesn't feel flimsy at all.

I've held Canon and Nikon and I thought they seemed quite fine too although I obviously don't have the experience of owning other brands like many others do here and I haven't had a thorough check of them either.

I like Sony G and GM lenses the best of the three brands.
Thankyou Clint (y)

I think that the quality of the cameras, even the pro spec ones seem to have gone down. I tried a friends Z9, its heavy but I don't think that it is the same build quality as the old D5 I had. Ok my A1 didn't survive a drop very well but I don't know if any of the other brands would fair any better.
One thing Iain you did drop the A1 and that was unfortunate it got damaged but the 200-600 was on it so you say that is fine?

Today you could still play a Beta videotape (the much maligned system that Sony designed as competition to VHS) and both the tape and the player would still work as new today, 40 years later. Back then VHS tapes were already damaged after a couple of plays.

Sony is just that good.

Last edited:
You could still play a Beta videotape (the much maligned system that Sony designed as competition to VHS) and both the tape and the player would still work as new today, 40 years later. VHS tapes were already damaged after a couple of plays.

Sony is just that good.
Alex yes and you remind me that I have a camcorder from the 90s Grundig a blast from the past I kept because it got footage of my kids when they were tiny, and that has a lipo battery and still works and also I have the tiny on board tapes that still can be viewed in the camcorder its self, so thanks for the reminder (y)

Alex yes and you remind me that I have a camcorder from the 90s Grundig a blast from the past I kept because it got footage of my kids when they were tiny, and that has a lipo battery and still works and also I have the tiny on board tapes that still can be viewed in the camcorder its self, so thanks for the reminder (y)

Until digital format was the norm, 20 years ago professionals still used Betamax.

Amazing how some things just don't catch on. Timing is also key I guess. What about those minidisc players which you could re-record and they didn't jump around like CDs. Those were brilliant, but didn't last too long. Although I see they are for sale on ebay for £300!

Today you could still play a Beta videotape (the much maligned system that Sony designed as competition to VHS) and both the tape and the player would still work as new today, 40 years later. Back then VHS tapes were already damaged after a couple of plays.

Sony is just that good.
You have that backwards. Sony introduced the Betamax first, in 1975. They then tried to hoard the technology and refused anyone a license to build them. JVC didn't even invent VHS until 1976, which was the direct result of Sony's hoarding. After the VHS was introduced, they licensed everyone to build them and damn near put Sony out of business in the process. By the time JVC got done you couldn't give a Beta machine away, even though it had superior sound and picture. Audiophiles used Beta machines running at high speed to record mix tapes for extended listening.

As for the best built camera, until Sony actually publishes their IP rating for weather sealing like OM does, OM has my vote. Om is the ONLY system that actually tells you they have an IP53 rating. That tells me that everyone else is behind and doesn't want to say how far.

Last edited:
You have that backwards. Sony introduced the Betamax first, in 1975. They then tried to hoard the technology and refused anyone a license to build them. JVC didn't even invent VHS until 1976. After they were introduced, they licensed everyone to build them, and damn near put Sony out of business in the process. By the time JVC got done you couldn't give a Beta machine away, even though it had superior sound and picture. Audiophiles used Beta machines running at high speed to record mix tapes for extended listening.

As for the best built camera, until Sony actually publishes their IP rating for weather sealing like OM does, OM has my vote. Om is the ONLY system that actually tells you they have an IP53 rating. That tells me that everyone else is behind and doesn't want to say how far.
Last comment a good point Tim although I hope not to have to test that in real life but at least they have put it out for all to see

Last comment a good point Tim although I hope not to have to test that in real life but at least they have put it out for all to see
Check out this article. That's some crazy stuff.

Then read this:

• The Canon 5D Mark IV and Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II both passed without so much as a stutter. No water getting anywhere it shouldn't have.
  • The Nikon D850 sprung a small leak into the viewfinder unless the Nikon BS-3 hot shoe cover was used. Everything else stayed dry.
  • The Sony a7R III performed the worst by far, leaking a significant amount of water into the battery compartment (seemingly from above), and malfunctioning entirely during IR's 15-minute 'heavy mist' test.

The good news is Sony has supposedly significantly improved weather sealing on newer cameras. The bad news is I am unable thus far to find an actual rating.

Talk about a mic drop, you're so right Tim!
This is the reason I don't take my camera to the seaside in anything but ideal conditions, and almost never in the rain. I don't know what Sony means by "weather sealed" in the real world. I'd rather trust my phone or go-pro in inclement weather.

Slightly off topic, but I wonder if Sony's focus (no pun intended) on video performance [and therefore reduction of overheating] means that they need to keep some portion of the camera body open for airflow? Surely this would weaken their weatherproofing?

I did find this video on the a6700 though, so maybe my fears are unfounded?

The last Canons or Nikons I used were DSLRs so I do not know about how well their mirrorless cameras are made, while Tim's point on the OM systems IP rating is valid I never thought my OM felt better made than my Sony's, the bodies may be similar but the lenses on the Sony feel far more rugged to me. Still nothing today is built like the old days, I have cameras that are 90 years old that work great today, I wonder if any of these electronic wonders will still be alive after that many years.

Check out this article. That's some crazy stuff.

Then read this:

The good news is Sony has supposedly significantly improved weather sealing on newer cameras. The bad news is I am unable thus far to find an actual rating.
Wow that is impressive

I did find this video on the a6700 though, so maybe my fears are unfounded?
Yes, like I said they've improved it. So, why no rating? If it's all that good, they should tell us what it is.

Not having an IP rating on an electrical product which is going to be used in all sorts of conditions is pretty crappy come to think of it...

Back