so who owns camera systems other than Sony or has an interest in other systems and what does it offer Sony is missing?

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Ok We know this is a Sony first forum and I am heavily invested in that, but in private chat with others it is obvious that many of us have other systems or have an interest in other systems. So I also have access to an Olympus micro 4/3 setup and do use it and think it is under par in some ways, but it has some huge plus points as well, although the build quality and feel of the older bodies at least have felt a bit light weight and cheap compared to Sony offerings. So you all know the drill with these chats now, all welcome and post up please views what you have, what you have an eye on interest in(y)

I still have most of my nikon gear, but that's because I'm too disorganised to get shot of it all. I don't see any advantages to any of it, but then it's none of the newer stuff. I was tempted by the OM system when I jumped, due to the lightness and the dinky everything was. In the end though it was the availability of sony lenses that swayed me.

As most of you know, I'm a bit of a primitive photographer, in that I don't enjoy editing and really appreciate sound images that were created in camera. With that in mind, I don't see anything out there that's missing from the Sony system, other than reducing size and weight.

I'm totally Sony now but still have an interest in Nikon as I was Nikon for years.

I just left Fujifilm for Sony and it has been an expensive transition! I will keep my Fuji gear because I have an infrared converted X-T2.

I was considering Nikon for the Z8, but it's not practical for me with my tiny female hands. That camera seemed to offer the versatility that I was seeking. I settled on the A7RIV because of the same perceived versatility of it. I have only shot birds with it since I purchased it 3 weeks ago. I do have another lens arriving today and will try some landscapes and portraits with it. Right now I am happy with the switch. There are a few things with the A7RIV that I'm not thrilled about, but it may be me truthfully still learning to use it.

When the A1 Mark II comes out, I will be looking for a nice used A1. That's the camera I really want!

In the past I've owned Olympus tough series point and shoots for kayak adventures. If OM Systems present a significantly updated version in the future, I won't hesitate to buy one again, as it is cheaper than buying a waterproof housing for my A6700. For now, my watersports and family beach days always include a GoPro, primarily for video, but also for stills.

Why not my cellphone, someone may ask? Because although these new smartphones are waterproof, previous observations remind me that they are not immune to saltwater corrosion (charging port and headphone port), and its too important a device to risk.

Sony all the way here! At the time I made the change to mirrorless, I traded in all of my Nikon gear and went wholly with Sony, knowing that I was highly unlikely to ever touch the Nikon lenses or bodies again. Rather than having them sitting around in bags and a closet, I felt that it would be better to trade them in at the camera shop so that others could discover, purchase and enjoy them .

Right now, Sony only and no interest in other systems. I could see myself looking at M-4/3 again if in the future FF becomes too heavy due to age, and the majority of my photos are family and vacation.

I considered the Z8 for a few weeks, but ended up deciding it was better to spend my money on an A1 than to spend it on changing out an entire system. Not only do I like the Sony platform, but there is no equal lens-ecosystem on the market, the next closest is M-4/3.

I love my Sony gear, cornerstone lens for me is the 200-600 and still love it. I'm intrigued by the 300mm f2.8 but having shot a Canon 300 prime, I know I'll always be looking for more reach. If I had the disposable income for a 400 or 600 I would get one. If I did, I would be jealous of the Nikon long primes with built in TCs. Really cool to not have to remove lens / add TC in a dusty place. But they are like $15K and I would get allot more images spending that money on travel with my 200-600! I always thought the Canon 200-400 f/4 was a great lens, again expensive but the built in TC is neat. I'll also be looking closely at the 500 f5.6 from Sigma. That might fit a certain bill for me that the 300 2.8 won't.

Last edited:
Pretty much all Sony at this point, but do also use a Ricoh GR for street stuff. I also still have all my original Nikon F gear as well as a very extensive collection of vintage film cameras, including both an original Nikon SP and the tribute one they made a few years back. Most all of these are still usable if i wanted to shoot film. Just sold off my 8x10 field camera, a few classic point ans hoot film cameras and the last of the Fuji cameras. I am thinking about getting the newest version of the Fuji 100, maybe, will see. Other wise have no desire for a whole other camera system, Sony makes pretty much all I need.

Until a few weeks ago I owned a Z8 and loved it. Such an amazing camera that felt like it was designed just for me. The viewfinder, which I preferred to my A1, the rear screen, the grip, the menu, the buttons that light up and the lovely top lcd all amazing. So why did I sell it? two main reasons, firstly and mainly the AF of the Z8 was hard work. To get the best out of it you have to constantly change focusing methods and even then, occasionally it would miss. I do not mind a camera not being able to focus but I can't have one that tells me it's in focus only to find out it's not. The other reason is the lack of f1.4 primes 24 35 50 85 and the weight of some of their zooms. I was thinking of switching to NIKON but ended up selling and getting the A1.

I am a total gear whore. :)

Awaiting an OM-1 for the stacked sensor and compact reach with the 100-400 Olympus lens for kayaking/hiking.
800mm equivalence for the fun of it.

Leica Q2 for the compact, fast and high res and pleasurable shooting experience.

Lots of Fuji gear for the interface and jpegs and aesthetics.

Sony gets about 70% of the use - the A1 is just an epic camera and lens ecosystem is outstanding.

I wasn't even seriously into photography when I bought my a6000 five or six years ago. I was taking concert snaps on a P&S and they were mostly horrible. I looked for something small, affordable, light, and better. I didn't even know that the kit lens was useless for my purposes, so I guess the spending started right away, lol. And now, via a6700, I'm wielding an a7iv. And a bagful of lenses.

So it was all an accident. And, in six or seven years, I have spent an absurd amount of money for someone on my income. Not that I have any regrets, of course, excepting that it could always be less if we thought properly and bought better in the beginning.

If Not Sony, then?

A Nikon F was my never-realised childhood dream camera. An Olympus OM1n was my film camera for quite a few pre-digital years. But it was Sony. And I don't really wish for anything else. Not even, at present, a higher-model Sony!

Other systems? NEVER. :sneaky:

Actually, I shot Nikon for years professionally and for fun.
Added m4/3 as a smaller and lighter soon after I moved to FF with my Nikons.
Over the last dozen years, I've shot both Olympus and Panasonic m4/3, Fuji, and misc P&S. I even tried a couple of Nikon Z bodies.

Last year I was shooting an E-M1 mk2 and E-P7 with a pretty complete kit of glass. I decided to "upgrade" the E-M1 to an OM-1 for a big family trip to Athens last fall. It was the first m4/3 camera I didn't enjoy using.

When I started looking for something else I really wasn't considering Sony, until I came across the A7CR and CII. Now all my m4/3 gear is gone and I'm building kit around the A7CR.

Over the last dozen years, I've shot both Olympus and Panasonic m4/3, Fuji, and misc P&S. I even tried a couple of Nikon Z bodies.

Last year I was shooting an E-M1 mk2 and E-P7 with a pretty complete kit of glass. I decided to "upgrade" the E-M1 to an OM-1 for a big family trip to Athens last fall. It was the first m4/3 camera I didn't enjoy using.

When I started looking for something else I really wasn't considering Sony, until I came across the A7CR and CII. Now all my m4/3 gear is gone and I'm building kit around the A7CR.
Welcome to the dark side!

Interesting - what didn't you like about the OM-1? Love the idea of a crop stacked sensor body. I wish Sony would make a baby A1/A9II but they don't seem too keen on going beyond the A6xxx body style for APS-C.

Interesting - what didn't you like about the OM-1? Love the idea of a crop stacked sensor body. I wish Sony would make a baby A1/A9II but they don't seem too keen on going beyond the A6xxx body style for APS-C.
I think they'd sell the crap out of a full-sized body with a crop sensor. Wouldn't even have to be an A1/A9 mini. We've been discussing the possibility of an A7000 for years.

In addittion to Sony A6400 and A1, I also regularly use an Olympus TG6 for it's underwater capabilities and in-camera focus stacking macro features.
Also a Panasonic FZ300 as a knock about light general purpose camera. Great for bushwalking with focus down to 2cm and a 600 mm equivelant reach and 18 mm wide angle. The resolution isn't as good as the Sony of course, but it sure beats lugging around a big lens.

It's not one thing I can put my finger on.
  • Changes in the dial locations were one issue, they didn't fall as comfortably to my fingers.
  • The Front dial was also very stiff and difficult to use. Maybe whatever dial changes they made in the MKII addressed that.
  • They moved a few buttons which normally doesn't bother me too much, but I didn't like the menu button on the other side of the EVF.
  • I like the old menus better. I'm not sure if it was the organization or the vertical vs horizontal layout.
  • Some Sony shooters wish the A7CR/II had an AF joystick. For me, I want EITHER a joystick or the 4-way controller, not both.
  • Additionally, a few advanced features didn't work as well as I had hoped.
This is not to say it's not a very good camera and I will miss several of the Pro lenses I had for the E-M1.2 and OM-1 as well as some of the really small lenses I had for the E-P7. But I think the A7CR will just suit my needs now better.

Thanks for the feedback. I love having both a joystick and control wheel. :)

I've read mostly complaints about the Oly menu system so I think I'm glad the OM-1 got a new one but I won't know until it arrives.

@Brownie - a mirrorless Sony update of the old Nikon D500 would probably be a hit but I'd only be interested in a stacked sensor variant. Unsure how well it would sell though as it would have to compete with used A9/A9IIs out there in the marketplace. I really don't see Sony launching fast crop tele lenses though.

I think they'd sell the crap out of a full-sized body with a crop sensor. Wouldn't even have to be an A1/A9 mini. We've been discussing the possibility of an A7000 for years.

@Brownie - a mirrorless Sony update of the old Nikon D500 would probably be a hit but I'd only be interested in a stacked sensor variant. Unsure how well it would sell though as it would have to compete with used A9/A9IIs out there in the marketplace. I really don't see Sony launching fast crop tele lenses though.
Not sure how much smaller it would be. Still the same size mount. There is only 2mm in each height/width and 22g weight between the A7CR and A6700.

Not sure how much smaller it would be. Still the same size mount. There is only 2mm in each height/width and 22g weight between the A7CR and A6700.
My preference would be larger. As someone not a fan of the rangefinder styles bodies, I'd like to see Sony do what Panny did with the G9II.

I don't really want a tiny crop body - iirc the D500 wasn't exactly a dainty body. I just don't care for the Sony rangefinder style either.

I'd really love a FE 500 PF lens similar to the Nikon prime. That would be a cool lens for a crop stacked sensor body or A1/ A7RV :)

My preference would be larger. As someone not a fan of the rangefinder styles bodies, I'd like to see Sony do what Panny did with the G9II.
I get the economy using the same body for the G9II and S5II, but I originally went with the E-M1 mkII over the original G9 because I felt the G9 was too big.

And part of the reason I went with the A7CR was I prefer a rangefinder.
I don't really want a tiny crop body - iirc the D500 wasn't exactly a dainty body. I just don't care for the Sony rangefinder style either.

I'd really love a FE 500 PF lens similar to the Nikon prime. That would be a cool lens for a crop stacked sensor body or A1/ A7RV :)
The D500 is bigger and heavier than the D750 I was shooting.

I get the economy using the same body for the G9II and S5II, but I originally went with the E-M1 mkII over the original G9 because I felt the G9 was too big.

And part of the reason I went with the A7CR was I prefer a rangefinder.
I'm aware of your preferences after 6+ years of sharing forums! I just never got on with the rangefinders, I like what Panny did for reasons other than economy. I just like the feel of a full-size body, one of the reasons I loved the G9.

I'm aware of your preferences after 6+ years of sharing forums! I just never got on with the rangefinders, I like what Panny did for reasons other than economy. I just like the feel of a full-size body, one of the reasons I loved the G9.
Did mean to suggest that you liked it because of the economy of scale, but that they may have done it in part for their benefit.

Did mean to suggest that you liked it because of the economy of scale, but that they may have done it in part for their benefit.
Oh, absolutely! They played right into my hands! :ROFLMAO:

I guess I'm a rangefinder-body man too. I appreciate having somewhere to put my nose! (Right-handed, right-eyed, of course). I appreciate the lack of the hump.

And light weight. A while back, I exhumed my Om1n body and weighed it. I was amazed. But then I reflected on the amount of electronics and battery that it doesn't have inside it. We can do wonderful things so much more easily now, with digital and electronics, but we have really weighed ourselves down.

That was the most comfortable to use camera that I had. Sure, hump, can't keep the nose to one side --- but with a wholly optical, SLR film camera, there isn't much choice. Isn't the central hump just an inability to shake off the old-fashioned expectations of what a camera should look like?

Oh, wait... from the topic I stray <blush>

Back