Thoughts on genuine Sony mount lenses and third party options for the system, are you Sony only have you got a mix of both

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Ok we have many chats on here about lenses usually Sony native, but what do you think about Sony line up, quality, value, results in use, and what about third party options how do they work on the system, results , value, What do you want in lens line up moving forward? Have a say anything lens related

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."
I know I am stepping into something here I was trying to avoid but I am not sure how those two statements go together.
Gender identity issues are not new issues that have been around forever, they are just now coming out in public and are being addressed with that "new age science".
If you have ever known anyone going through the painful struggle of this, compassion is what is needed. Maybe 45 years ago i knew a very successful advertising photographer that used the same lab as me, he left his business to deal with this issue, when he returned as a transitioning woman i always admired their courage to put their career back together, visiting the same clients instead of leaving town to start over. The great thing back then was the friends and clients were empathetic and their career came back as good as it was before the transformation. If one has ever had these issues happen to somebody close to them, maybe a little understanding and empathy might help them with their life.
My only trepidation to posting this is, I came to these forums to discuss whatever the forum is supposed to be about, photography, not for politics, if one wants that discussion there are plenty of places to post ones thoughts. We all gather here i believe to get away from always talking about politics, religion and other societal issues even when joking.

I think people are misunderstanding what nice means these days. Nice is to help someone deal with reality, it is not you accepting that someone's serious mental health issue which holds absolutely zero value in reality can actually be a reality and you address it as such. You are not doing a person who is going through such a situation any justice by being empathetic towards their beliefs. If you're a man, you are a man. If you're a woman you are a woman. Apart from the extremely rare cases where a poor soul is born and they legitimately do have internals from both sides the reality is that transgender is a mental illness, and changing their sex is not the answer, the answer is to attend to the mental illness as such so the person can actually live in reality. It is not nice to torment a mental illness, it is nice to remove the problem being in these cases the person's view of reality is completely construed.

Let me ask you. If you had a completely healthy friend who had a hatred for right limbs, and because of this they were having surgery to cut off their right arm and right leg. Would you be being nice by supporting their decision? Or would you be being nice by convincing them that they are completely physically normal as is? Your view of help and my view of help are clearly two very different ideologies.

You are also aware that the suicide rate in the trans community is the only suicide rate in history that matches that of the Jews in concentration camps in WWII? Are you also aware that this rate does not diminish post operation in the trans community as well?

One more thing. Why is transgender exclusively a modern Western phenomenon? To this day, remote tribes around the world have absolutely no knowledge of this type of thing actually being a thing.

A bit of off topic talk here and there doesn't hurt anyone. We're humans after all, not robots apparently which I'm doubting more and more by the hour, but we can share our views here by all means. Why not...

Oh yeah, the Tamron comes with a 6-year warranty, as opposed to Sony's 1.
I am not sure who the sensitive one is here, I was just explaining my position on the subject. I have no issue with yours.
The Pro services while they do make a big splash at large sporting events, they are also available every day to deal with what ever camera and lens needs or issues one might have. So it is something to consider when making a lens purchase if you are able to make it work for you.

In your example of resale value the Sigma held on to 80% of it's purchase price and the Sony held onto 85%.
Even though it is more expensive, I think it will still be easier to sell the Sony used.
Looking at the values when buying and selling to KEH and B&H, the used buying value was only KEH because B&H did not have a used one in stock.
All the valuations were for almost new condition
Used valuation at near new condition for both

Sigma 100-400 lens
Sold to B&H $345 holds 32% of value
Sold to KEH $492 holds 46% of value
Buy used almost new from KEH $899 83% of value
Buy New from B&H $1080 with tripod mount

Sony 100-400 lens
Sold to B&H $1140 holds 48% of value
Sold to KEH $1448 holds 60% of value
Buy used almost new from KEH $2040 holds 85% of value
Buy new from B&H $2398

As to guitars and other things it is all model, condition and or year dependent for used valuations
Well let's see, I made a statement, you responded to it with a completely incorrect comment regarding my position which was likely due to emotion since you only read what impacted you. So, yeah...you are.

The Sony lost more money. Percentages are irrelevant. the guy who sold the Sigma lost less money. The Sony lost more money. Oh, wait, did I already say that?

Well let's see, I made a statement, you responded to it with a completely incorrect comment regarding my position which was likely due to emotion since you only read what impacted you. So, yeah...you are.

The Sony lost more money. Percentages are irrelevant. the guy who sold the Sigma lost less money. The Sony lost more money. Oh, wait, did I already say that?
I never mentioned your comment I stated my definition of a fanboy, but I guess the word disagree is disagreeable

Brand agnostic gear slut here. :)

About the only thing I really want on FE Mount is something like the Nikon 800mm PF lens. I just don’t want to spend $13K on the 600GM.

As to 3rd party lenses I’ve been on a Voigtlander kick lately. They look great. They feel beautifully damped. The rendering is sweet - not bitingly sharp but with a certain something. For Sony I have the 15 4.5 and 40 1.2

The recent Tamrons (I’ve had the 17-28, 70-180 2.8s and still have the 35-150, 28-200 and 28-75G2) are excellent. They don’t feel quite as good as a GM but the 35-150 could be a GM lens imo aside from the frame rate limitation.

Samyang is a mixed bag but the 135 1.8 is a terrific lens. I don’t use that prime often but imo unless you need the very best af and frame rate there’s no reason to get the GM version.
I have been eyeing the Voigtlander 65mm apo for macro stuff, do you have any experience with that lens?

Ok we have many chats on here about lenses usually Sony native, but what do you think about Sony line up, quality, value, results in use, and what about third party options how do they work on the system, results , value, What do you want in lens line up moving forward? Have a say anything lens related

I have quite a few lenses, not all of them Sony, but most are. I have the freedom to ignore budget somewhat (photography is my only expensive hobby), and that lets me choose on a basis other than price. Can't afford the eye-watering GMs, though.

I own two Voigtlander APO Lanthar lenses. They are not particularly expensive (and I got a bit of a discount on them), and they are superb. Sure, manual focus, which means I don't use them all the time (my eyesight limits my ability to focus manually, although I am getting better).

The rest of my lenses are Sony at the moment. Several are GM lenses, several are G lenses. I gave away my only Zony (the 55/1.8) and my only FE (the 85/1.8), to a friend who needed them. I am very impressed with Sony's newer GM and G lenses (still want to get a replacement for the 85mm f/1.4 GM)

I've used quite a few Sigma lenses in the past, but that was on DSLRs - I preferred Sigma Art over Canon L, and over Nikkor. Earlier Sigmas (pre-Global Vision) I bought because they were cheaper - lenses like their 100-300mm and the 8mm full-circle fisheye, among others. The Art and even Contemporary ranges are very good lenses.

I've owned one Zeiss, but it didn't suit me.

I've not owned a Tamron, but I've recommended one (70-300) to a friend over the Sony.

I've never owned or even touched most other brands.

What do I want coming up?
  • 85mm f/1.2 GM
  • 200mm GM - f/2 OK, f/1.8 please!
  • 300mm f/2.8 GM
Maybe a 400mm f/4 G - I'd certainly look at it!

<snip>

In the meantime I'll tell all of my Gibsons, Fenders, Colts and Rugers I made the right choice. They'll be thrilled! :ROFLMAO:

I didn't know Ruger made guitars?

(Have you seen the Fender turntable? It's a sunburst design - eeesh!)

We all lose money regardless of brand it has never affected my thinking on which brand to buy few things in life make money, I knew this question would have the out right replies basically saying Sony all the way and then the other side who have bought into both Sony and third party kit

We all lose money regardless of brand it has never affected my thinking on which brand to buy few things in life make money, I knew this question would have the out right replies basically saying Sony all the way and then the other side who have bought into both Sony and third party kit
Really, it never affected mine either. It was in response to a post stating that you lose less money on resale if you buy Sony. That is unequivocally false.

I have a mix - Sony 18-135mm that I bought on the A6600 camera, 70-350 that I just bought mainly on the slightly longer focal length than the Tamron, great reviews and functions on the lens. I also have the Sigma 30mm f1.4 which is excellent, great bokeh, and the Tamron 24mm Di III MSD which I'm very happy with. A friend borrowed the Tamron to compare with his Sony 24mm and tested them on the A7IIIR and commented that performance was similar but the Tamron was about half the price.

the Tamron 24mm Di III MSD which I'm very happy with. A friend borrowed the Tamron to compare with his Sony 24mm and tested them on the A7IIIR and commented that performance was similar but the Tamron was about half the price.
Try the Samyang 24/1.8. It's as good and is about one-quarter the price.

A recent report from one of our members stated that it isn't functioning properly on the A6700, probably a firmware issue from Samyang or Sony that will hopefully get resolved. On the A7 IV and A7RIII it's an amazing little lens.

I try to go with camera brand lenses, to a point, w cost being the prohibitive reason. I have the Sigma 105mm and absolutely love it. Sigma Art for me is the only other brand I'll look at, based off having owned a few of them over the years. Yes they're a little heavier but that glass is on par, in my eyes, w Sony. Looking at reviews/comparisons online, the only people that will truly notice a difference are those photographers that pixel peep and are looking for something to be wrong.

I also find myself moving to primes vs zooms overall. Except for my 200-600 of course which I use for my nature shots. When I bought my a7rv, I went ahead and got the 24-105 f4, which is a really nice lens but its sat in my bag for at least the last 8 months, and can see it going up for sale soon, probably replace it w a sigma 35mm Art

Last edited:
I have been eyeing the Voigtlander 65mm apo for macro stuff, do you have any experience with that lens?
Sweet lens! EXIF data, turns focus magnification on when the focus ring is turned, gorgeous image quality, kinda big & heavy.

aqufor00.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • Voigtländer 65mm F/2 Macro Apo-Lanthar asph. (Sony E)
  • 65.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 400

casmin00.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • 65.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 400

chaang00.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • 65.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 400
lilpar01.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • 65.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 400

Late to the party on this thread, which went a bit astray and has returned!

I have no issue using third party lenses, and have plenty of Sigma over the years on other systems, they make some great glass, no question, and, for the most part, they all play nice with their intended system, with one or 2 exceptions. I had a Sigma zoom on my Pentax and it was terrible for hunting for focus, it was chalk and cheese with the native Pentax I bought after, so I will always research reviews and test them before buying if possible.
With that said, I now favour Tamron over Sigma for 3rd party choices, ever since owning 2 G2 lenses on my Nikon system. They are so well made, and very very sharp, as well as having nice contrasted colour rendition, they play very well too. I only have one on the Sony, a 24mm 2.8, which is epically sharp and cost less than £200, thus it's a bargain! I wish that Tamron would make a bigger range for Sony, after all, they used to make Sony's lenses for them. I'd love to see them make a fast prime for wildlife, or a long macro (a150 or 180), it's something the system lacks and Tamron could steal the march. I digress.

Short answer. It doesn't matter if it's sharp and plays well on the system :)

Voigtlander lenses certainly have a certain flare which make their pictures very unique. I like that. I might check their range to see if there's something special that can cover my needs.
One of their lenses which spurs a lot of talk is the 50mm APO Lanthar. It's almost ridiculously sharp, and it's a pleasure to use - it works in A mode quite happily. You do have to use the aperture ring to set the aperture, but it talks to the camera to tell it focus distance for IBIS and auto-exposure. Also triggers the MF magnifier when you turn the focus ring.

Excellent sun stars if you avoid the apertures with round aperture (f/2, f/2.8).

It's kind of the manual focus lens for people who don't want to manual anything but focus :cool:

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back