What's in your (vacation) bag?

I will leave for Tanzania next week. Because of weight restrictions on the tiny airplanes, I can not take all the lenses I want. I packed my A9ii with 200-600mm and A7Riv with Fe PZ 16-35mm F4 and Zeiss f4 24-70. It does not sound much but all the accessories, cable, charger, spare batteries, memory backup system, cleaning pouch, add a lot of weight, too. I was weighing my gear constantly to make sure I had enough for a toothbrush and a set of fresh underware.
My laptop and big Ipad stay at home since the give my the opportunity to bring an extra pair of pants.

I will leave for Tanzania next week. Because of weight restrictions on the tiny airplanes, I can not take all the lenses I want. I packed my A9ii with 200-600mm and A7Riv with Fe PZ 16-35mm F4 and Zeiss f4 24-70. It does not sound much but all the accessories, cable, charger, spare batteries, memory backup system, cleaning pouch, add a lot of weight, too. I was weighing my gear constantly to make sure I had enough for a toothbrush and a set of fresh underware.
When we went to Tanzania earlier this year, we purchased an extra 10kg luggage allowance for all flights on the small planes in order to be able to take enough camera gear.

I notice many people who have responded do not bother with a laptop or tablet? I'm starting to think it may be an unnecessary item. I'm going to take note of how often I use it on this trip. Without the laptop and gopro pole I could get away with just the sling.
For photo-centric vacations I do take a laptop pavilion something (super thin, small and cheap), it is basically a through put for a few SSD external drives as there is rarely time to do any editing or more likely there are more interesting things to do. If it is a normal vacation I'll just take more cards.

a long time ago I was shooting an advertising job for a film in the Maasai Mara, Kemya. We bought extra seats for the cameras and lighting equipment, getting there on the small plane was fine but when leaving from the dirt airstrip, there was some confusion about the number of passengers booked on the little plane. There were no extra seats left, so the pilot just had us load up all the stuff in front of the emergency exit. Luckily all went well. Just for fun this is one of the shots from that job,Nigel Hawthorne, sorry I know it was shot on film, with a Mamiya RZ67
Nigel 1.jpg

Last edited:
I just wondered if anyone wanted to help me fill my travel bag by donating kit as my travel kit seems a bit lacking by the look of some of yours on here🤣

Back