What's your most common tip or trick that you seem to re-learn often?

reinocruz

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Strangely, once I got off Auto, I went 100% manual, 100% of the time.
I was reminded that when shooting fast shutter speeds, I can set ISO to Auto to just offer me hand.
Amazing how many shots I'm too busy/possibly missing trying to work out the multi-part calculation of correct settings. It can be nice to have a helping hand sometimes.

Was curious to what things you may overlook, whether you're new, or still learning after decades. Cheers!

changing focus modes is the biggest thing for me - for the longest time i left it wide and kind of forgot that other modes existed.

Totally agree with reinocruz, I am a 100% manual shooter and sometimes to set ISO to Auto helps a lot.
Right? I know, for me, having total control over the shot and making sure I have the lowest possible ISO to avoid any unnecessary noise seems so important. Then, when I look at a few shots that are underexposed, or rushed for one reason or another (maybe messing with the ISO.. ha!), I remember to read the room. I shouldn't have to have so much control that I lose the shot. Practicing focusing on my desired photos, and letting my camera help me out when needed.

Does - making sure I remove my SD card from my iMac and put it back in the camera count?
The number of times I do this is beginning to scare my wife. I still do it but pretend I haven't if she asks.

Other than that, not being scared to use Auto rather than miss a shot.

That's why everyone demands dual slots 😉

Another thing I always actually forget it to check that I've dialled my compensation back after adjusting it up. Thankfully overexposed shots are easy to rescue :)

Regularly checking the settings to counter forgetting to return them to some kind
Does - making sure I remove my SD card from my iMac and put it back in the camera count?
The number of times I do this is beginning to scare my wife. I still do it but pretend I haven't if she asks.

Other than that, not being scared to use Auto rather than miss a shot.
ha! Yup.. guilty. Numerous times, although now it’s not as big of an issue now with my A7R3 with the dual slots always leaving one in the camera while unloading. With my ii, I’d be halfway somewhere while realizing, “it’s in the Mac still. Isn’t it?”

Mine is the same as @Ziggy's. I plan to set my camera back to "base" as part of putting my equipment away, but it often doesn't happen. When I am hauling c-stands and strobes, placing miscellaneous items away so I don't forget I have them*, the camera is already in the bag and I'm done for the day. Then the next time I want to take photos the initial test shots come out odd and I remember what I should have done.

* I honestly forgot I had a snoot for a while. Noticed a box one day and there it was. I was making them from cinefoil and a Pringles can (a la Gavin Hoey) for a good year.

Back