Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
City/State
Illinois
What late model alpha cams have both finger touch AF and Center Lock-on AF.

And where in menu is Center Lock-on AF selection found? Heading & page#? See pic below. Thanks.
+__a7Riv_Menu_Func sm.jpg
  • SM-J737VPP
  • 3.7 mm
  • ƒ/1.7
  • 1/24 sec
  • ISO 200

Thanks Scotty. The reason for this post is from my confusion over a Mark Galer video showing the menu settings for invoking "Center Lock-on AF" (which works on my a7Rii, but not on my a7R iv). Galer fails to mention the camera being used in his settings recommendations video. Although in another video, Galer states it applies to later model Alphas including a7R iv. TI can't find the Center Lock-on AF option in my 7R4 menu.

Galer is a well respected, seasoned shooter & instructor. But some of his videos lack specificity. Hence I reluctantly logged this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oq6Vm-T9q0

It's called real time tracking in the newer models, including your IV, I believe. Oh and works a whole heap better too.
That's the conclusion I came to after some research, and set my R4 menu up to max that newest RT Track feature. But then later when surfing my menu, I saw the "Focus Standard" option -- which in my Rii replicates the function of Center Lock-on AF. So I thought maybe the R4 had both options: RT Tracking & Focus Std for Ctr Lock-on. And my confusion was reinforced later when Galer stated Ctr Lockon AF was included on R74s. But perhaps I mis-read Galer's statement.

Thanks Scotty, I think you're right, only RT Tracking on newer cams.

NP and focus standard is a different thing altogether and the below explains it better than me putting it into my own words:

Focus Standard​

If you assign [Focus Standard] to the desired custom key, you can recall useful functions such as focusing on a subject in the center of the screen automatically in accordance with the focus area settings.

1. MENU →
    s_menu_shoot2.png
    (Camera Settings2) → [
    cE08C.png
    Custom Key] → desired key, then assign the [Focus Standard] function to the key.
    • To use the [Focus Standard] function while shooting movies, select MENU →
      s_menu_shoot2.png
      (Camera Settings2) → [
      cE08B.png
      Custom Key] → the desired button, and then assign [Focus Standard] to the key.
  2. Press the key to which [Focus Standard] is assigned.
    • What you can do by pressing the key varies depending on the settings for [Focus Area] and [Center Lock-on AF].
When [Focus Area] is set to [Zone], [Flexible Spot] or [Expand Flexible Spot]:pressing the key moves the focusing frame back to the center.When [Focus Area] is set to [Wide] or
:
  • When [Center Lock-on AF] is set to [On], [Center Lock-on AF] is activated by pressing the key. The camera detects the subject positioned in the center of the screen and starts tracking by pressing the center of the control wheel while [Center Lock-on AF] is activated.
  • When [Center Lock-on AF] is set to [Off], the camera focuses on the center point.

Note​

• You cannot set the [Focus Standard] function to [Left Button], [Right Button] or [Down Button].

Scotty, THANKS for your time to insert Focus Std blurb from your manual. I assume you copied it from a7iii manual, since it's slightly different than my 7R4 manual. I agree and appreciate what you are saying, but our two cam manuals (and menus) are not quite the same. See pic below.

The reason I may seem anal about this "Focus Standard vs. RT Tracking (regarding only my a7R iv), is twofold. First, I'm accustomed to using it from my a7Rii days for video. Secondly, if I can get "Foc Std" to work on my R4 the same as it did on my R2 -- then once FocStd locks on video target, I don't have to hold-down the button during tracking-lockon, as long as target stays in Focus Area. Whereas in (newer) RT Tracking you must hold-down the AF-On button for the duration of the desired tracking. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Basically, all I want to do is: if Focus Std is available on R4 during video capture, then I want that option in addition to the RT Tracking function using BB AF-On.

I'm going to try (again) using the Focus Std instructions from my R4 manual to see if I can make it work. I'll let you know results.

Attachments

• AF MENU.jpg
    AF MENU.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 7R4 Manual.JPG
    7R4 Manual.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 38
On my A7iii it's AF2 6/14
Two issues going on here. Ref 1st one, pls recall my post title was: what cams have touch AF & Ctr Lock-on AF. You replied your menu showed these on AF2 p.6/14.

So I posted images fr my R74 menu which contains no such thing to show evidence the two cam menu options are different. I have no Ctr Lock-on AF. That's what I meant by diff betw cams selections.

And yes, the Focus Standard manual sections are close or identical. But numerous attempts in past failed to enable that function. I posted here the manual section I followed (just like yours) indicating I followed Sonys procedure and yet it didn't work.

I'm trying it one more time using various focus areas. But if no luck, I'm not messing with it anymore. Likely an annoyance to forum members by my repeatedly asking question after question.

Okey doke I don't know what to add as I don't have an A7Riv although according to Ken Rockwell he says:

Manual AF point selection with the touch screen​

When you set this you can slide your finger around the touch screen — even if it's off as you use the electronic finder — to position the AF points.

Set:

1.) MENU > Suitcase > page 2/7 > Touch Operation > ON.

2.) MENU > Suitcase > page 3/7 > Touch Panel/Pad > Touch Panel+Pad.

3.) MENU > Camera 1 > page 6/14 > Center Lock-on AF > OFF.

4.) MENU > Camera 1 > page 5/14 > Focus Area should be set to anything other than Flexible Spot or Expanded Flexible Spot. I use Wide.

Set all this, and you can just slide your right thumb around the dark LCD to move your AF points wherever you want them.

When you want to return to the center point, press the big center button on the back.

Scotty, thank you, thank you! for the effort you spent on this. I was hoping an a7R4 shooter would respond also.

All I wanted was confirmation that R4 didn't have Center Lock-on AF option, or if it did, where to find it. And secondly, why I couldn't get the Focus Standard to work.

It was when I found Galer's video showing/suggesting that the Ctr Lock-on AF feature was available on ALL alpha cams --- I decided to initiate this post.

And since you were the only one to respond, I accepted your offer to help. But you are correct, not having a R4 made it more challenging for you. But thank you for all your efforts, greatly appreciated!!

I'm not going to pursue this any further. Tim cringes when forum posts exceed 200 TBs. :) I'll make do w only RT Tracking w AF-ON BB.

All I wanted was confirmation that R4 didn't have Center Lock-on AF option, or if it did, where to find it.

But the bit I quoted is the bit that's confusing me as it does have Center Lock-on AF according to everything I read. I appreciate your screen shots don't show it and that's odd agreed..... Unless, of course, I'm completely misunderstanding you which is pretty high on the list or probabilities :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

..... Unless, of course, I'm completely misunderstanding you.....
I don't think either one of us has lost his jelly beans on this issue. (although I am going to check w my shrink tomorrow just to make sure). But rather my Riv is one of the alphas having a different set of menu selections than the other alphas.

In addition to the differences in screen shot of menu I uploaded, I have noticed that the total number of menu pages for each menu category (cam1, cam2, globe, playback, toolbox, star) also has a different number of total pages.

Hence the reason for our mutual confusion over this is simply that the menus and select options are significantly different betw my R4 and other alphas.

Scotty --- LATEST UPDATE, and likely the last of this discussion. Called the Sony Rep and posed my question. He stated unequivocally that a7R iv does NOT have Center Lock-on AF. The R3, R2, 7iii have it, but not R4.

He suggested using Touch AF when video recording, which essentially achieves the same as CtrLocAF.

Once again, thanks for your help and patience.

Back