Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
(1) I'm not sure which of these two styles I prefer, (a) the colour flower with the black and white background, or (b) the natural image in full colour? My feeling is that (a) emphasises the beauty of the flower and focuses attention on the flower, while (b) is a more naturalistic view, with the vivid green of the background distracting attention from the flower. Any thoughts?
(2) Is your preference dependent on the colour of the main subject i.e., the purple crocous or the white crocous? I'm not sure but I think the black and white background works better for the puprle crocous? What do you think?
purple_crocous_bw_background-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 3200
purple_crocous-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 3200
white_crocous_bw_background-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 3200
white_crocous-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 3200

I would prefer the B&W background with a tighter crop around the flowers kind of like this (also I noticed the color left with some of the background on both circled in example)
Screenshot 2023-03-19 115653.jpg

Bottom B&W.

The colors on the top look oversaturated, the image looks overcooked in brightness/contrast or something. It's harsh. Bottom image is much more pleasing to view. It's softer and more realistic. I think that's why it plays well with B&W. You can see the difference harshness/color in the green leaves between the two images.

Bottom B&W.

The colors on the top look oversaturated, the image looks overcooked in brightness/contrast or something. It's harsh. Bottom image is much more pleasing to view. It's softer and more realistic. I think that's why it plays well with B&W. You can see the difference harshness/color in the green leaves between the two images.
Thanks Tim, I'll try and tone down the purple, but they were pretty vivid and striking in real life.

Thanks Tim, I'll try and tone down the purple, but they were pretty vivid and striking in real life.
Try just pulling back the contrast and brightness then and leave the color alone. I can't really put my finger on it other than harsh. Again, looking at what appears to be similar leaves in both photos, you can see the difference.

HI Tim, top is the original, the middle has been toned down and the bottom toned down a bit more.
purple_crocous_bw_background-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 3200
purple_crocous_bw_background-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 3200
purple_crocous_bw_background-3.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 3200

Hi David, I've fixed the middle and cropped in a bit more. Top is the original, the next is modified.
white_crocous_bw_background-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 3200
white_crocous_bw_background-3.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 3200

Hi, Ed,
The flowers against the black and white background - the effect feels overstated to me. When you were working the colours with the dog and the human, it felt like there was a story - and - that colour supported the story. In these photos, the flowers already dominate the frame. I might desaturate the background colour a bit to de-emphasize it, but not take out the colour altogether.

It’s an unusual plant with that variegated green leaf, then orange, white and purple stripes. I can appreciate you trying to tone it down! 😅

Maybe try substantially lowering the exposure level of the background greens, but leave them colored so it looks more natural, but darkly shaded, so, without so much colour contrast.

I like the third one. Color transition is smoother. Look where the bright whites meet the purple. Top one has harder, jagged lines with less detail. Just one opinion though, you should use whichever you like the best.

Hi Ed, I'm a fan of the color version for both.
However, whereas I feel the white flower looked alright, I think the purple flower might have had its highlights blown out a bit and the color a wee bit oversaturated. Just goes to show you how many different answers you can get to a simple question eh?

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the thoughtful comments. Really helps to have constructive comments from skilled photographers, you guys are the best!

Back