White spots when zoomed into dark photos. A7rv

Kamshooter

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Kamil
Hi guys I took this photo just messing with settings on my camera and I noticed these white spots present in the dark area of the photo when zoomed in. Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Attachments

• _PIC0610.JPG
    _PIC0610.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 45
Most likely dust on the sensor or rear lens element

This crop more accurately demonstrates what I'm finding, I will attempt to clean the sensor today and try again. Thank you guys for any advice.
Hopefully I don't have a bigger issue on my hands with this.
_PIC0610.JPG
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.7
  • 1/45 sec
  • ISO 6400

Is that a 100% crop?
Almost looks like high ISO noise, which I would expect from a similar photo if it was taken with an APSC, but not the A7RV!

There's no doubt that there's noise, which would be expected at ISO 6400. But it also looks like there could be some dust where there are larger spots.

Try couple of things:

1) Run the image through a NR program like Topaz or DXO.
2) Check your lens for dust, make sure it's clean.
3) Check your sensor. Do this by:
a) stop down to f/22 or as low as you can
b) take a photo of a sheet of snow-white paper, or a clear blue sky. Fill the frame with the subject.
c) upload the image and look at it. It should be perfectly clean, or near to perfect. If you see spots or smudges, your sensor needs to be cleaned.

If you do see dust spots (and Tim has described how to do it), start with a blower - a lot of the time that’s all you need to get rid of the dust. Don’t go for a wet clean first.

Even if you do go for a wet clean, use the blower first - you don’t want to have the wet clean dragging something abrasive across the cover glass over the sensor.

If you do see dust spots (and Tim has described how to do it), start with a blower - a lot of the time that’s all you need to get rid of the dust. Don’t go for a wet clean first.

Even if you do go for a wet clean, use the blower first - you don’t want to have the wet clean dragging something abrasive across the cover glass over the sensor.
Yes, good points. I usually start with the internal cleaning shake-n-bake and check the results, then use a jet blower and check the results, then wet cleaning last.

Oh, and BTW, do NOT blow on the sensor with your mouth, no matter how dry you think your mouth is. Ask me how I know... :cautious:

And definitely don't do it while eating a PB & J. :p

The other thing not to use is “canned air” - the propellant can settle on the sensor and leave fun little drop marks.

Old fashioned rubber bulb - that’s the go.

The other thing not to use is “canned air” - the propellant can settle on the sensor and leave fun little drop marks.

Old fashioned rubber bulb - that’s the go.
And not an ear syringe! I once had an instructor tell the class just to buy an ear syringe because they're cheaper. Ear syringes draw air (and dust) in from the same tube it is expelled. Jet blowers made for photography have a filter on the rear where the air comes in. The filtered air is expelled through the tube.

Somewhat tangential... I'd like to have a travel bulb blower, flatter and smaller, that would be an easy fit in a corner of the bag. I haven't found one yet. Any suggestion?

This is a nice little cleaning kit: ProOPTIC Complete Optics Care and Cleaning Kit
You get this kit free with a lot of purchases from Adorama even through places like Amazon, that is how I got mine. This kit size is about half the size of the rain cover for my bag.

This is a nice little cleaning kit

Thanks, it does look neat. Looks like it is not easily available here :cry:

(also looks, from google, like Americans can currently get it at half the price from Amazon)

Back