Wildlife settings

Back in the war, we never had these fang-dangled Auto ISO min SS features but I like it! :)
Pentax K-1000 BABY!

ME-Super is still on the rack here.
I still have a K-1000. Haven't shot much film lately, I have a refrigerator full. Biggest pain in the butt is finding time to develop and process.

Yes Mark Galer's thoughts are OK in sunny climates but here in the UK we don't often have the luxury of good light .

Mark Galer's content was a huge help in getting me started with my Sony cameras, but I agree - I found Mark Smiths and Steve Perry Youtube videos more helpful for wildlife photography. I prefer Shutter Priority with the 200-600 bc I always shoot wide open and then I can quickly increase SS for a fast moving bird, or decrease for a stationary one, letting Auto ISO handle the rest. I suppose if I was shooting larger animals I would shoot in M so that I could step down the aperture to ensure more of the animal is in focus. This is usually not a concern with birds unless you're very close.

I prefer Shutter Priority with the 200-600 bc I always shoot wide open and then I can quickly increase SS for a fast moving bird, or decrease for a stationary one, letting Auto ISO handle the rest.
Shooting in M, the exact same thing happens. Leave the aperture wide open, change the shutter speed as needed, and let ISO handle the rest.

The only is in M you can select a specific aperture if you want.

It really boils down to giving a man a fish/teaching him to fish, right? There's nothing wrong with using someone's presets to get started, but at some point, it benefits you to branch out.
I could not possibly count how many times I have heard Mark Galer say (in print) " These settings are just a starting point" followed by a link on how to modify his settings to suit the individual user's needs and situations.

Which is probably about the best advice he's ever given.

Which is probably about the best advice he's ever given.
Truly, I appreciate that his advice is motivated by Sony embassies, but it is a great start. I can do absolute full manual on my Pentax K7. No need to upgrade. Oh. Unless I want Sony A74 auto focus. What else do I get? Heck! There’s auto ISO that relates to min SS! That’s new. Let’s see if that helps?

Ok. Auto focus plus manual everything else. Wait. Not “perfect” is it.

Ok. Manual everything. Pentax K7. Brilliant!!

Back