Worth attempting Astrophotography with what I have?

Janice

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 30, 2020
Country
United States
I'm a hobbyist just getting into photography. Would like to dabble in Astrophotography. Am thinking of a trip to Sendona, AZ. I hear it is also declared a "Dark City" and great for Astrophotography. Is it worth my time hanging around for darkness to fall and trying to capture the sky with any of the lenses I have?
I don't have a wide aperture lens ... yet. I have the following: a 3.5-5.6 16-50mm, a 3.5-6.3/18-200, and an E 4.5-6.3 70-350 G OSS.

Would the 3.5-5.6 16-50mm work? Am I just wasting my time because I don't have a 1.8 or 2.4 lens? I'd hate to leave my visit with extended family to hang out 2 hours away waiting for darkness without the chance of success. What do you experienced Astro shooters think?

Reactions: J.Duffy

FowlersFreeTime

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I'm no experienced astro-photographer, but I can share a sample of a picture taken with a kit lens during the comet appearance last year and a few thoughts.
DSC03875-5x7_v2 (1).jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 28.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 15 sec
  • ISO 2000

This was far from "dark sky" territory, so you can see the light pollution (and an airplane) in the lower part of the image. 15 seconds at an f-stop of 4.5 and ISO 2000. So not a great pic, but not terrible. Things I would have done differently now that I've tried it:
  • Go to a "dark territory" well after sunset
  • Use an app like sky map to find an area of interest to photo (planet?/constellation?/milkyway?)
  • Use a longer exposure
  • Use a higher ISO, but not too high (maybe as much as 3200?)
  • Glass matters. Kit Lens can do better than I showed above, but any lens with a larger aperture (even if its manual only) will do even better than that. Sigma 16mm f1.4 is supposedly great for this kind of thing.

Janice

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 30, 2020
Country
United States
I'm no experienced astro-photographer, but I can share a sample of a picture taken with a kit lens during the comet appearance last year and a few thoughts.
View attachment 8282
This was far from "dark sky" territory, so you can see the light pollution (and an airplane) in the lower part of the image. 15 seconds at an f-stop of 4.5 and ISO 2000. So not a great pic, but not terrible. Things I would have done differently now that I've tried it:
  • Go to a "dark territory" well after sunset
  • Use an app like sky map to find an area of interest to photo (planet?/constellation?/milkyway?)
  • Use a longer exposure
  • Use a higher ISO, but not too high (maybe as much as 3200?)
  • Glass matters. Kit Lens can do better than I showed above, but any lens with a larger aperture (even if its manual only) will do even better than that. Sigma 16mm f1.4 is supposedly great for this kind of thing.
This gives me hope that maybe I might be able to capture something. :)

Reactions: FowlersFreeTime

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.