Your Photo of the Week

This week.....represented by what else? Fireworks!

Fanning Out.jpeg
  • DSC-RX10M4
  • 30.5 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 6400

Week 50. A little meadow pipit on our local common. I'm not entirely sure what it has in it's beak.

Meadow-Pipit-DSC07386-2048px.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 320

Nice Tim. Looks like a caddis fly or moth/butterfly pupae

I noticed that this robin kept returning to the same perch just outside my patio doors, so I kept my camera at the ready and was soon rewarded. I used maximum aperture to throw the flowers right out of focus.

22S03324.jpg
  • E 150-500mm F5-6.7 A057
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.6999998092651
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 800

Nice image , sharp feather detail and an unusual but very complementary background Bokeh.....

Without intending to be critical of your composition, do you think converting the image to portrait with the Robin off to one side and aligned with the rule of thirds for body vertical and eye horizontal eyes likewise might add further value to the very impressive main element quality.......?

This is with the perch on the third. I don't personally like this as much - the right of the picture is too empty. I prefer it with more space around the bird. The background is an important part of the picture so I didn't want to crop it too much.

22S03324v1.jpg
  • E 150-500mm F5-6.7 A057
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.6999998092651
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 800

Don’t wish to drag out your time too much Alan but yes I agree there is a lot of dead space to the right I and probably above the robins head I was thinking a tighter 2/3 crop ratio portrait and maybe reduce the perch height.......just suggestions, appreciate your indulging my iniitial suggestion........

With the above in mind you will probably see that many of my images are tightly cropped and probably too tight on occasion but that is a lot to do with the cropping I do to fit the instagram limitations and use the same images for alphshooters, whilst for my web page I use the original 2/3 ratio photos generally.

Just as a general comment I see many images wherein very impressive key elements lose their impact. due to compositional issues. yes I am as guilty as others of this, but find in my shooting as I have developed my photographic experience, composition/background in my day to day shooting occupies 50/50 of my time along with camera settings to achieve overall subject/image quality.

In my earlier days,like most, I focused almost exclusively on my camera craft to achieve the best image quality(sharpness/contrast etc)I could, but over time have gradually transitioned to the 50/50 approach as above.....

in my mind good images have high image quality, but great images are as much about the composition and subject positioning.

Hi Alan,
this is what i was thinking...maybe a bit tight for your taste but an attractive
photo either way.....I think it eliminates a degree of negative space which as it is merely Bokeh
doesn't add any further interest value...
I ditched the screen shot from which i generated this image so pls don't sue me for copyright
infringement.......:cry:View attachment 22642

Throwing in my tuppence here, while I am a fan of tight cropping, I also pay a lot of attention to what is behind my subject and around it, and I also still try to give my subject some breathing space.... Ray, in your crop above I would've cropped down further from the top towards the head of the bird and also given the bird a little more space to breathe in the direction in which he is facing, so that the viewer has the idea that the bird will at any moment take off and fly in that direction. Getting negative space "just right" can be challenging at times, though, as too much is, well, too much, but cropping too tightly can be problematic as well. I love the bokeh in this scene and don't find it distracting at all from the subject; it complements and enhances him.

I need to learn how to keep my mouth shut, but, that's on a long list of things I have not learned. So here goes anyway. I thought Alans original was fine but if I cropped, I would start with the stick he's perched on and MAYBE a skosh above the head. The area to the right is not an issue for me....a nice, creamy Bokeh. The subject is clearly the bird and there is little to distract from that. Hey, look at the views and Faves Alan already has on Flickr!

And if Alan asked another 100 people there would be a great disparity of views....like many
issues in photography there is no one correct answer , the initial comment related to
the degree of negative space and whether people consider my suggested crop to be more
attractive or not is not the issue. IF you look at my original comments , in line with Clix and
Jeff's later comments I indicated excessive negative space above the head and a longer
perch than was necessary so on that we can agree.

There are many theories on negative space but the conventional wisdom is it should not be
excessive and support not detract from or isolate the main subject........ if someone prefers
an abundance of Bokeh that is fine but ultimately the bird in this case is the star of the
show and what is around it should be complementary.

Week 26. Half way again! Had a quieter week out last week, but managed a couple of days. Large Red-Eyed Damselfly in flight.
DSC06334 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 2000

Week 26. Half way again! Had a quieter week out last week, but managed a couple of days. Large Red-Eyed Damselfly in flight.View attachment 22668
You are a machine kev! :) You'll have completed two years before I've managed one! Cracking shot. I hope to get out to shoot some before our next little monkey arrives and sleep deprivation takes hold!

Beef with Green Beans served on Jasmine rice.
DSC01158_1x1.jpg
  • Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 1600

Waterlilies at Burnby Hall, Yorkshire, home of the National Collection of waterlilies. Many of them had a large label in the middle, and some had plastic mesh around them to prevent their spread, but some were easier to photograph.

Infrared 850nm.

DSC02889 2.jpg
  • FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 42.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 500

bee 2022.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 200–600 mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G) + 1.4X Teleconverter (SEL14TC)
  • 840.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 1600

Week 51. Our second little boy Joseph (unless we change our minds!) was thankfully born healthy at 12:50am last Friday morning. Probably the latest I've been up in a long while! Watching your partner give birth definitely makes you appreciate being male, we have it far too easy! He's barely opened his eyes since he was born. He seems to like sleep so far, but I don't expect this is going to last.

Joseph-DSC07599-2048px.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 24mm F1.4 GM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.4
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 800

Congratulations, Mum and Dad! Is Big Brother excited about the new arrival in your household?

Week 51. Our second little boy Joseph (unless we change our minds!) was thankfully born healthy at 12:50am last Friday morning. Probably the latest I've been up in a long while! Watching your partner give birth definitely makes you appreciate being male, we have it far too easy! He's barely opened his eyes since he was born. He seems to like sleep so far, but I don't expect this is going to last.

View attachment 22949
Congratulations!

Week 27. A Lesser Emperor Dragonfly. The first I have ever seen, and still relatively rare in the UK. A very pleasing find.
DSC06879 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 2000

Back