Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Zeiss is exiting the Photo Business: No more Batis, Loxia, Milvus or Otus lenses!

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
I'm not too surprised. I don't think they sell many. They make fine glass and binoculars.

Maybe they are putting all their efforts into building the vision correction lenses for the new Apple headset?

I thought they already had stopped making lens since they haven't released an E-mount lens in just over 5 years

I recently bought a Loxia lens with a huge discount, it is a really fun lens to shoot with and the photos look a bit more vibrant and saturated which gives a very nice feel. This is when I compare it to the 35 GM, which is more sharp and 'clean'. I love the look and am certainly consideren other Zeiss primes as well (55mm F/1.8 for example).

Edit: Or is the 55mm F/1.8 a Sony lens with a Zeiss badge?

Perhaps now is a good time as prices may rise...

Last edited:
I thought they already had stopped making lens since they haven't released an E-mount lens in just over 5 years
I don't know if they sold well, they always commanded a premium price?

I recently bought a Loxia lens with a huge discount, it is a really fun lens to shoot with and the photos look a bit more vibrant and saturated which gives a very nice feel. This is when I compare it to the 35 GM, which is more sharp and 'clean'. I love the look and am certainly consideren other Zeiss primes as well (55mm F/1.8 for example).

Edit: Or is the 55mm F/1.8 a Sony lens with a Zeiss badge?

Perhaps now is a good time as prices may rise...
Not sure about the badge thing (doubt it), but I for one have a 55mm and I am sure others would too. I really like it, the pictures are a little different some how when using the 55 compared to others, more alive or well, I dunno, less flat? Possibly even slightly nicer than my AF-S 50mm f1.8 - I especially love the B/W images from the Zeiss, perhaps it captures tones better than others? Either way, it didn't cost all that much here, and like the Nikon prime above, or the Sony 85mm too actually, they're priced are low enough as to almost make them essential-purchases (imo).

Looking at the specs for the 16-35 Vario Tesssar /4, it says the design is based on a Zeiss with Zeiss coating. I don't think Zeiss actually manufactured the lens, so not sure if this will have an effect on our lens selection.

LOL! Interesting Spin! from Zeiss.

OFFICIAL statement from Zeiss: “not withdrawn from the photo lens market. But we have to face the facts…”​

The "facts" are:

Zeiss recently renewed my Lens Ambassador status and assured me of years of continued inventory, spare parts, repair and tech support, and customer service.

and

And, of course, we are bringing our unique expertise to mobile imaging. Because it is also clear that consumers, as well as ambitious and professional photographers, increasingly prefer their smartphones for all-day photography.

So, they're NOT exiting the photo market, but there will be no new lenses, just support for the old stuff and backstock, and, they're moving to smartphones.

But, they're not exiting the phot market.

No, really.

They promise...

What a load of malarky.

So now, just like they used to command a premium on any lens with the Zeiss logo, they [Zeiss] are hoping to lend their brand equity to cellphone manufacturers? That's just sad man.

LOL! Interesting Spin! from Zeiss.

OFFICIAL statement from Zeiss: “not withdrawn from the photo lens market. But we have to face the facts…”​

The "facts" are:

Zeiss recently renewed my Lens Ambassador status and assured me of years of continued inventory, spare parts, repair and tech support, and customer service.

and

And, of course, we are bringing our unique expertise to mobile imaging. Because it is also clear that consumers, as well as ambitious and professional photographers, increasingly prefer their smartphones for all-day photography.

So, they're NOT exiting the photo market, but there will be no new lenses, just support for the old stuff and backstock, and, they're moving to smartphones.

But, they're not exiting the phot market.

No, really.

They promise...

What a load of malarky.

I used the Sony 55 f1.8 at the vivid light festival. It was ok but there seemed to be more noise to deal with. I thought it was me, but after reading that. I’m blaming the lens.

GJF00756-2.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 12800

Cue some daft premium price being added to phones with Zeiss lenses, which is nothing new anyway, I had phones in the past with Zeiss.

If you looked at the Apple headset announcement, you might have noticed that you can't wear glasses with it. Instead you have to get lenses that fit into the headset to correct for your vision, and those lenses are made by Zeiss - that's what was in the announcement, at least. No mention of whether other manufacturers might also be making them. I wear glasses with lenses from Seiko-Epson, and they are excellent quality.

I wonder if those lenses will include astigmatic corrections - if they do, you'll need custom lenses (both for the strength of the correction, and for the angle). If they don't, then maybe there will just be a range of dioptres available.

New in Marketplace

Back