Name
Roy Priest
Country
Canada
City/State
White Rock, B.C.
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I was leaving my usual place for Harriers and Short-eared Owls when I noticed a Bald Eagle about 20 feet on the side of the road circling and looking down. I slowed down as I thought maybe there was a carcass or something the eagle was interested in. He/She made a short stoop behind some conifers and then a small bird of prey flitted out from behind the conifers, flew in front of my car and landed on a post next to a golf course. I braked and angled my car to face broadside to the Merlin and began taking photos. I was by myself for about 10 minutes and watched while he ate. I was actually in the road so when I saw a car come up behind me I just move my car ahead. The background was no longer the green of the golf course but a background of bramble bushes. The car behind me was a car containing two photographers who I spoke to earlier on the dike. I knew it wasn't going to end well. Instead of parking behind me they went past and pulled over. The Merlin wasn't too bothered but then they both got out of the car. The Merlin kept glancing over his shoulder at them and then of course took off. I had too much lens to get the take off but I was anticipating getting shots of him finishing eating, cleaning his beak and feathers and rousing (falconry term for shaking feathers into place.
Merlin-ROY-A1-3317.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 5000
Merlin-ROY-A1-3417.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 4000
Merlin-ROY-A1-3760.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 4000
Merlin-ROY-A1-5620.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 5000

Great set

When I looked and read this story I honestly thought that you were having a lend of me as I thought Merlin yer right .
Thinking of medieval era is what you meant and you gave it a pet name for interest side of things.
So I am sorry for thinking this of you as I did looking it up and there it was.

Very interesting and looks to be the size of out Nankeen Kestrel which I think there is a push for it to be called the Australian Kestrel.
Great shots and thanks for introducing me to a new bird, I do appreciate that.

When I looked and read this story I honestly thought that you were having a lend of me as I thought Merlin yer right .
Thinking of medieval era is what you meant and you gave it a pet name for interest side of things.
So I am sorry for thinking this of you as I did looking it up and there it was.

Very interesting and looks to be the size of out Nankeen Kestrel which I think there is a push for it to be called the Australian Kestrel.
Great shots and thanks for introducing me to a new bird, I do appreciate that.
I have a hard time understanding the first paragraph of your response but glad you get to see a new bird.

I have a hard time understanding the first paragraph of your response but glad you get to see a new bird.
All that part meant was I thought you were joking with the name of it. Nothing more and less than that. I hope that clears it up for ya.
As I thought Merlin of Camalot and never knew there was a Raptor of that name. So it was an education for me.

Ah, that explains it. :)

Superb

Back