200-600 IQ affected by lens hood?

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

jav_eee

Followers
Following
Name
Javier
Hope I don’t cause a ruckus but I’m wondering if anyone has noticed different (worse) image quality using the lens hood.

I’ll be trying to photograph the next SpaceX launch and I’ll already have distance and atmospheric haze working against me. Don’t want to add another possible hinderance.

How would it do that? The lens hood will improve contrast from blocking stray light along with other things.

How would it do that? The lens hood will improve contrast from blocking stray light along with other things.
I seem to recall reading reviews where the hood caused a temperature difference of the air or something like that. Just asking for personal experience I guess.

Any large hood has the chance to impact the image quality if the hood is warmer than the air around it. This usually will only happen when it is cold and there is significant temp difference between the two. If you are outside for a while and it is warm or relatively warm it should not be an issue. In the winter if I am shooting from a car I will not use a hood (or shoot over the car) and I'll go without a hood for a while if I am walking around.

If you are worried about it doesn't take much to see if the sun will be an issue if you don't use it.

Took me a while to find this:

Last edited:
I seem to recall reading reviews where the hood caused a temperature difference of the air or something like that. Just asking for personal experience I guess.
Someone did a video showing that in cold temperatures, the hood can cause a warm objective lens to form condensation. In that case the recommendation was to leave the hood off until the lens temperature equalized to the ambient air temp. There's a thread in here somewhere about lens hoods that has a link to that video.

Same one Dave posted above.

Last edited:
No. but I don't live where there are extremes of temperature, as suggested in the video. In all normal shooting it's an essential addition IMO

I am not an expert but if the lens hood could create a significant air temperature difference while holding it horizontally, I believe a short dip or raise of the camera should solve the problem.
i always use my lens hoods, which not only prevents stray light protection but also keeps branches, twigs ans similar objects away from the lens glass.

Thanks for the replies!

I'll try to be there early enough to try both ways and see what works the best! The guy next to me at the recent scrubbed launch (with an A9/200-600 combo) was not using his lens hood.

I keep reading about Hoya Starscape Light Pollution Cut Filter. That might assist. As for the hood, I can’t imagine a reason for it to be problematic.I use the lens hood to protect the glass and keep it clean.

The guy next to me at the recent scrubbed launch (with an A9/200-600 combo) was not using his lens hood.
Remember when your mom said: "So if johnny were to jump off a bridge, would you?"

There will always be different opinions. Our friend @Maskless Crusader (who should clearly change his username to "Deleted Member 5045") never uses them, although I don't agree with his reasoning, it's his call. However, if you research this thoroughly you will find that the benefits of using one far outweigh the negatives.

I have a similar opinion about the use of UV filters. No one has ever been able to explain to me the benefit of putting another piece of glass in front of a $2,000.00 lens. It seems counterintuitive to me, and for the most part any benefit you might gain during the exposure process can be accomplished in post, without the filter.

The only thing it really does is protect your lens...Oops! Now we're back to a good use for a hood!

Remember when your mom said: "So if johnny were to jump off a bridge, would you?"

There will always be different opinions. Our friend @Maskless Crusader (who should clearly change his username to "Deleted Member 5045") never uses them, although I don't agree with his reasoning, it's his call. However, if you research this thoroughly you will find that the benefits of using one far outweigh the negatives.

I have a similar opinion about the use of UV filters. No one has ever been able to explain to me the benefit of putting another piece of glass in front of a $2,000.00 lens. It seems counterintuitive to me, and for the most part any benefit you might gain during the exposure process can be accomplished in post, without the filter.

The only thing it really does is protect your lens...Oops! Now we're back to a good use for a hood!

I use protective uv filters on my lenses when I won’t pack the hood. I’ve lost too many! I appreciate sacrificial glass, but, I’ve thrown a few away, and, they’re simply too expensive for the 200-600. I rely on the hood.

No one has ever been able to explain to me the benefit of putting another piece of glass in front of a $2,000.00 lens.
This is a holdover from the film days in which UV light could damage the film. Somewhere in my father's basement I there may still exist and actual example of this that I did in high school. Since digital sensors are not impacted by UV light there is no technical reason to use a UV filter. Since these are super cheap to make they are now pushed as a way to protect the lens. The issue with this is that if you have a lens by one of the major manufactures the front element is going to be tougher and more dust/water resistant than any of the UV filters you can buy.

I use protective uv filters on my lenses when I won’t pack the hood.
This just needs to be asked but have you tried using a lens caps for when you pack your lenses? :LOL:

For the original poster:
Given the location the temperatures are not going to be cold enough to have the hood cause an issue, which again really is only an issue if the lens is much warmer than the air around it. If you don't fear dropping the lens and the sun is going to be at an angle that will not cross the front element and you are worried about if the hood could cause an issue, just go without it. If the sunlight could cross the front element then go with it.

For the original poster:
Given the location the temperatures are not going to be cold enough to have the hood cause an issue, which again really is only an issue if the lens is much warmer than the air around it. If you don't fear dropping the lens and the sun is going to be at an angle that will not cross the front element and you are worried about if the hood could cause an issue, just go without it. If the sunlight could cross the front element then go with it.
I agree with some of this. The sun doesn't need to 'cross' the front element, it can cause issues from the side as well, although today's coatings are vastly improved from the film days.

To the OP, the launch site for Space X is in Texas, if memory serves, along the Gulf Coast. Which direction will you be facing? I witnessed an Apollo launch at Cape Kennedy when I was a kid, and we faced due east toward the Atlantic Ocean. Why does this matter? If you're facing East and it's a morning launch, you'll be shooting into the sun. Just something to consider. Years of shooting afternoon air shows facing due West come immediately to mind. :oops:

Obviously it’s a minuscule problem. Take the hood, test it on a cloud or a bird and stick it in your pocket if it bothers you. You’re seeing something I’ll never see. Post your successes in this thread!!

I agree with some of this. The sun doesn't need to 'cross' the front element, it can cause issues from the side as well, although today's coatings are vastly improved from the film days.

To the OP, the launch site for Space X is in Texas, if memory serves, along the Gulf Coast. Which direction will you be facing? I witnessed an Apollo launch at Cape Kennedy when I was a kid, and we faced due east toward the Atlantic Ocean. Why does this matter? If you're facing East and it's a morning launch, you'll be shooting into the sun. Just something to consider. Years of shooting afternoon air shows facing due West come immediately to mind. :oops:

I'll be set up to the north, facing south. Shooting across the cooler bay water then some vegetation. The sun will be coming up a little to the south of me so a hood will probably be beneficial.

Obviously it’s a minuscule problem. Take the hood, test it on a cloud or a bird and stick it in your pocket if it bothers you. You’re seeing something I’ll never see. Post your successes in this thread!!
You got pockets big enough for the 200-600 hood? :ROFLMAO:

It may be an interesting point of discussion, but as a shooter in extreme hot and cold climates with all the vagueries of heat haze ,condensation et al

as well as being a firm advocate of the use of lens hoods for avoiding stray glare effect as well as a very useful occasional, physical lens protector

I have yet to experience secondary heat effects from my lens hoods......

In travelling to shoots by car and taking into account the shoot location hot or cold environmental temperature I routinely adjust the vehicle ac temperature up or down to achieve some level of temperature balance upon arrival

This has stood me in good stead to avoid lens temperature effects and as a chartered engineer keeping my shoot camera,lens and hood assembled whilst travelling I cannot imagine differential temperature effects of the hood from the lens or camera after being immersed in the same heated or cooled environment before starting shooting........

In addition, in fitting a new lens and/or hood to your camera mid shoot, when taking them from a cooler or warmer car environment etc, best practice would suggest a short period of temperature equalisation before or after fitting and shooting to avoid limited secondary differential temperature effect.

Others may disagree but the above is my experience over the years.......

I'm with you on the protective glass over the front element though. With all the advanced protective films that are on the front elements now, there is certainly no need to put another layer over the top which can only reduce the IQ of the lens, it is absolutely impossible that it could make it better or even the same. Obviously if you are in a dusty environment though, it would make sense to lose 1% of IQ to not have your direct element and filter threads get covered in crap, so there are exceptions, but in normal use having another piece of glass over your lens can only put you at a loss.

There was an article about the hood causing a problem, but it was only in extreme temperatures - see iamdlewis’s link. If you are not in extreme temperatures, that problem won’t occur.

I generally put the hood on to protect the front of the lens, and it turned out to be a good thing a couple of weeks ago when I went to hop up on a chair, it skated away, and I crashed to concrete (very hard concrete!), camera in hand. The hood hit the ground, and the rubber ring at the end was dented (GM hood) - without the hood, the front edge of the lens would have hit the concrete (camera was in my hand). I pushed the rubber part back into place and continued the shoot (camera fine, lens fine). I may want to replace the hood some time (I have not checked for a light leak at the point that bent). Even if I do have to replace the hood, that’s a lot cheaper than replacing a 50/1.2 GM!

I make no claim that the hood will protect in every case - it won’t. But in this case, it did, making me very glad I had it on the camera. Note that a protective filter would not have helped in this case - impact would probably have bent the filter ring, and possibly made it difficult to remove the filter o_O

There was an article about the hood causing a problem, but it was only in extreme temperatures - see iamdlewis’s link. If you are not in extreme temperatures, that problem won’t occur.

I generally put the hood on to protect the front of the lens, and it turned out to be a good thing a couple of weeks ago when I went to hop up on a chair, it skated away, and I crashed to concrete (very hard concrete!), camera in hand. The hood hit the ground, and the rubber ring at the end was dented (GM hood) - without the hood, the front edge of the lens would have hit the concrete (camera was in my hand). I pushed the rubber part back into place and continued the shoot (camera fine, lens fine). I may want to replace the hood some time (I have not checked for a light leak at the point that bent). Even if I do have to replace the hood, that’s a lot cheaper than replacing a 50/1.2 GM!

I make no claim that the hood will protect in every case - it won’t. But in this case, it did, making me very glad I had it on the camera. Note that a protective filter would not have helped in this case - impact would probably have bent the filter ring, and possibly made it difficult to remove the filter o_O
There are two morals to this story:

1) Use a lens hood
2) Don't hop up on a chair holding your camera

Just saw the SpaceX rocket went BOOM. Hope Jav_eee got some great shots of that with or without the hood.

Yeah, I watched it. I was surprised at the celebration considering they never achieved stage separation!

Yeah, I watched it. I was surprised at the celebration considering they never achieved stage separation!
Probably need to cheer regardless of outcome given who their boss is.

Also I was wrong it didn't go boom it was a "rapid unscheduled disassembly"

There are two morals to this story:

1) Use a lens hood
2) Don't hop up on a chair holding your camera
It was one of those higher “architect“ type chairs, and I was just trying to sit on it - not stand on it, if that was your impression. Just takes a bit of a bounce to get up onto. I have decided not to use one like that again in a studio!

It was one of those higher “architect“ type chairs, and I was just trying to sit on it - not stand on it, if that was your impression. Just takes a bit of a bounce to get up onto. I have decided not to use one like that again in a studio!
Drafting chair. Same kind I use for birds. Will have to remember to watch my hops.

I cant wait to see the pictures. It was a spectacular disaster.

My travel pack for Bali is ready, and, as I suspected, the lens hood on the 135mm will not fit. The whole thing weighs in at slightly over 7kg, including UV filter on the 135mm!

IMG_4420.jpeg
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max back triple camera 5.1mm f/1.6
  • 5.1 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/5 sec
  • ISO 800

I dont know what wildlife to expect, so Ive packed lots.

I still might buy some fisherman’s pants, for those deep pockets. :))

Gaz

Drafting chair. Same kind I use for birds. Will have to remember to watch my hops.
Occupational hazard back in the ‘80’s when we still used drawing boards. These days I sketch on my iPad at the coffee shop.

The draftiing stool was a traditional thing, but those of us who where pretty fly, used something like this:

IMG_2144.jpeg

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

New in Marketplace

Back