Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Birds a few from dark wet UK iso during so called daylight smashing through 12,800 with 300mm 2.8 prime

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
ok so rain almost everyday for six weeks not much happening
robin 2022 (7).jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 300mm F2.8 G
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.2
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 5000
robin 2022 (8).jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 300mm F2.8 G
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.2
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 6400
robin 2022 2 (3).jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 300mm F2.8 G
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 1000
robin 2022 3 (2).jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 300mm F2.8 G
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 1600
robin 2022 12 (2).jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 12800

Lovely images Gary despite the miserable weather right now. It's pretty wet and windy by us today, not that it matters too much as I won't have time to get out anyway. It would be nice to see a little more sun before the holidays are over :)

Nice shots Gary. A good photographer can get good shots in any weather.

I'm still amazed every time I see your high ISO shots. I think a lot has to do with your processing abilities, which exceed my own by a good margin.

I can commiserate with regard to the weather. The Great Lakes are their own ecosystem. This time of year they bring us cloudy day after cloudy day. I've seen the sun maybe 2 times in the last several weeks. This will go on until they freeze over, which may or may not happen.

I'm still amazed every time I see your high ISO shots. I think a lot has to do with your processing abilities, which exceed my own by a good margin.

I can commiserate with regard to the weather. The Great Lakes are their own ecosystem. This time of year they bring us cloudy day after cloudy day. I've seen the sun maybe 2 times in the last several weeks. This will go on until they freeze over, which may or may not happen.
Thanks Tim

Super images Gary with exceptional detail , which 300mm lens are you using ?

Its producing some fabulous images mate , are you limited to 10fps though ?

Its producing some fabulous images mate , are you limited to 10fps though ?
I think 11fps on the a9 which is fine for me I only ever shoot in low anyway, I have had this lens since 2017 and it delivers on a-mount and seems just as good on e-mount and I think many would shocked at how fast the focus is it is as fast as native glass 100-400 200-600 and others I use, and the plus is I bought for less than a third of the the then new retail when people were dumping a-mount

and the plus is I bought for less than a third of the the then new retail when people were dumping a-mount
Unfortunately people have caught on and A-Mount prices have stabilized. Some are as much as new third-party E-Mounts.

Unfortunately people have caught on and A-Mount prices have stabilized. Some are as much as new third-party E-Mounts.
Tim I think the price is still down here in the UK, for sure not selling a-mount prime lenses and when I get a camera that gives me access to the screw drive Minolta primes via the lea-5 then it will be a game changer for me I hope.

I've been keeping an eye out for an 85mm 1.2/4/8. It's not a lens I'm likely to use often so am looking for a deal. I've found used Sony E, new Rokinon/Samyang E, and old Minolta/Tamron/etc. etc. A-Mounts all in the same price range. The Samyang is rated so highly I'll probably go that way. One of the old Minoltas is still getting $600. I can get a used Sony E for less!

I've been keeping an eye out for an 85mm 1.2/4/8. It's not a lens I'm likely to use often so am looking for a deal. I've found used Sony E, new Rokinon/Samyang E, and old Minolta/Tamron/etc. etc. A-Mounts all in the same price range. The Samyang is rated so highly I'll probably go that way. One of the old Minoltas is still getting $600. I can get a used Sony E for less!
I guess most of my primes have come from my friends shop not at mates rates but fair prices for a quick sale although he always gives me 12 months warranty and first option

I guess most of my primes have come from my friends shop not at mates rates but fair prices for a quick sale although he always gives me 12 months warranty and first option
Nice! I have a local shop that has given me deals, but they've completely stopped accepting anything A-mount in trade, they say they don't sell. Seems to me if they weren't selling then prices wouldn't be so high. I suspect it has more to do with the local aspect.

I think 11fps on the a9 which is fine for me I only ever shoot in low anyway, I have had this lens since 2017 and it delivers on a-mount and seems just as good on e-mount and I think many would shocked at how fast the focus is it is as fast as native glass 100-400 200-600 and others I use, and the plus is I bought for less than a third of the the then new retail when people were dumping a-mount
I'm not surprised mate , as a former Canon shooter for over 20odd years the 300mm 2.8 was one of if not my sharpest lens in my bag ,as you say lightening quick to focus and razor sharp images evrytime . Would love to see Sony bring out an emount version . Been looking now and then for an a-mount version but very scarce.

New in Marketplace

Back