Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

A quick question given the large selection of 50 mm lens made for and by Sony who needs one or has one

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
As title someone is buying these have you got one or more, and is it still an important focal length or was ever? please list in reply which you have

I have and use the TTartisans 50mm f2, it’s small and light, looks good on the camera, best of all it’s under 70 sterling

I have 2 50s, both A-Mount Minolta. One is the 1.7, and one is the 2.8 Macro. I don't use the FL enough (in a prime) to warrant owning one.

I think it was made important when 35mm was introduced because of it being a 'normal' FOV, about the same as the human eye. They're inexpensive to produce so they were easy to put in a kit, but I don't find them as useful as a 35.

I have and use the TTartisans 50mm f2, it’s small and light, looks good on the camera, best of all it’s under 70 sterling
I did not know you could buy them so cheaply, I have had them in the past, I am amazed by how many are made by Sony and the third party suppliers

I have 2 50s, both A-Mount Minolta. One is the 1.7, and one is the 2.8 Macro. I don't use the FL enough (in a prime) to warrant owning one.

I think it was made important when 35mm was introduced because of it being a 'normal' FOV, about the same as the human eye. They're inexpensive to produce so they were easy to put in a kit, but I don't find them as useful as a 35.
Yep Tim I get 35mm but not so much 50mm prime when you can get some really nice short zooms now :)

They in theory mach the human eye perspective. For me I never quite got that, there are a number of people who do portraits with the 50 based on that premise, but depending on culture that perspective is not really correct. There are parts of the world where people are used to looking and interacting with others almost nose to nose and then rthere are other places where there may be a distance of feet. When one is closer the perspective is like a wider lens and when further away it is like a longer lens. Growing up where i didis why I started shooting portraits with a 105mm or 85mm. Just never got into using a 50 a 35 was always my go to lens for most things and latter got even wider to a 28 or 24 when just walking around.

I have the 50mm Sony macro. I haven't used it as much as I had hoped to when I got it but that isn't the lens's fault. I would not use it for a street lens as it is on the slower side of focus.

I have the 40mm f2.5 which doesn't really see much daylight these days. I might take it out and stretch it's legs today actually! It's a gorgeous little lens! 👏

I like that focal length more than 50mm, it's actually surprisingly versatile.

I have the 40mm f2.5 which doesn't really see much daylight these days. I might take it out and stretch it's legs today actually! It's a gorgeous little lens! 👏

I like that focal length more than 50mm, it's actually surprisingly versatile.
Is that a Sony Clint?

I have the Sony 50mm f1.8, surprisingly good and sharp for its cheap price. Plasticky feel as you would expect, but light and with good response in low light, nice colors and great bokeh.

However I don't use it anymore since I bought Sony 40mm f2.5 which has grown to be my favourite lens. It's been fixed on my A7C since I bought the lens in late March.

Light enough but with a build of better quality than the 50mm, more metal than plastic feel, a nice aperture ring (specially useful given the lack of controls in the a7c).

And overall, I find it much more versatile than the 50mm. That 40mm is just slightly wider but it just feels right. Closer to what the eyes see. No distortion and only some vignetting in the wider apertures.

This focal length takes some time to get used to it though, because it looks so natural that a picture can look plain boring if you don't think of a good composition... But once you get it's pace and vibe it's just perfect for a walkabout lens: street, travel, some architecture, some landscape... I haven't tried yet for close portraits but I can see it working good, as the 50mm was great for that.

This post was not promoted by Sony 😂

I have the Sony 50mm f1.8, surprisingly good and sharp for its cheap price. Plasticky feel as you would expect, but light.

However I don't use it anymore since I bought Sony 40mm f2.5 which has grown to be my favourite lens. It's been fixed on my A7C since I bought the lens in late march.

Light enough but with a build of better quality than the 50mm, more metal than plastic feel, a nice aperture ring (specially useful given the lack of controls in the a7c).

And overall, I find it much more versatile than the 50mm. That 40mm is just slightly wider but it just feels right. Closer to what the eyes see. No distortion and only some vignetting in the wider apertures.

This focal length takes some time to get used to it though, because it looks so natural that a picture can look plan boring... But once you get its vibe it's just perfect for a walkabout lens: street, travel, some architecture, some landscape... I haven't tried yet for close portraits but I can see it working good, as the 50mm was great for that.

This post was not promoted by Sony 😂
Thanks for insight Alex I was assuming that the 50mm was sort of a lens that was in some way redundant now that we have so many short primes and nice short zooms

I currently have two 50mm lenses:

the Sony 50mm f/1.2 GM (I bought it when it came out, and see no reason to get the f/1.4 GM - the f/1.2 GM is excellent)

the Voigtlander APO Lanthar 50mm f/2 - small, beautifully made, and extremely sharp. When I am in the mood for manual focus, this lens is my weapon of choice. It also shoots lovely sunstars.

I did have the 55mm Zony, but I've given it away - I never used it after getting the two above.

I like 50mm as a focal length, but I understand others don't. I don't understand the obsession with short focal lengths, but that may be a personality thing: I see my photography as being an observer, apart from the observed, so I lean towards longer focal lengths. I use 50mm when shooting full-length images of people

New in Marketplace

Back