A test done yesterday a9 and lea-5 and Sony 300 2.8 mk1 a-mount prime no lens stability with lens

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I took these test shot yesterday on the a9 with adapted a-mount Sony 300 2.8 mk1 prime on the Sony lea-5 adaptor at a some what lower shutter speed of 1/1250 than I would normally use, hand held. The lens has no in built stability, all settings were in my usual manual mode camera front curtain shutter off, electronic shutter single shot mode, in body stability off and taken at about 10 metres. The purpose of the shots was to see if what I believe is the case that high end primes something I have used for years can help when using a low count megapixel camera Bodies and cropping hard. First image is raw uncompressed converted to jpeg sooc in the goose shot, and crops are all the same edit just tighter crops, so question is what do you guys think? first shot 14.6 mb , edits from 3.78 to 2.48
goose 2023 50.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 300mm F2.8 G
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 250
goose 2023 51.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 300mm F2.8 G
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 250
goose 2023 53.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 300mm F2.8 G
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 250
goose 2023 52.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 300mm F2.8 G
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 250

Nice work Gary. It supports the never ending debate concerning the ability of the photographer, as opposed to camera/lens cost, MP, etc.

Nice work Gary. It supports the never ending debate concerning the ability of the photographer, as opposed to camera/lens cost, MP, etc.
Thanks Tim I am wondering what would the conversation be if Sony had given us a decent adaptor that supported the old a-mount primes and a teleconverter

Thanks Tim I am wondering what would the conversation be if Sony had given us a decent adaptor that supported the old a-mount primes and a teleconverter
Some of them do, but it's hit and miss. I have a few lenses that will work with a TC. There's a list of lenses that will work with the pro grade primes on Dyxum. For my group of A-Mounts there are only a handful, and I can't tell you now which they are. I know my 80-200/2.8 APO HS G doesn't.

Some of them do, but it's hit and miss. I have a few lenses that will work with a TC. There's a list of lenses that will work with the pro grade primes on Dyxum. For my group of A-Mounts there are only a handful, and I can't tell you now which they are. I know my 80-200/2.8 APO HS G doesn't.
I didnt know any of the a-mount primes worked with tc on the lea-5?

I didnt know any of the a-mount primes worked with tc on the lea-5?
Depends on the TC. It'd need to be an A-Mount TC: Lens>TC>Adapter. I have a Kalimar that will AF some of my old A-Mounts. I don't know about the premium white Minolta versions. Also, it may be limited to the newer cameras. Sony is so all over the board with this stuff it's tough to track.

Here's a link to a guide of the A-Mounts, but not totally up to date.

https://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic2100.html

Depends on the TC. It'd need to be an A-Mount TC: Lens>TC>Adapter. I have a Kalimar that will AF some of my old A-Mounts. I don't know about the premium white Minolta versions. Also, it may be limited to the newer cameras. Sony is so all over the board with this stuff it's tough to track.

Here's a link to a guide of the A-Mounts, but not totally up to date.

https://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic2100.html
Tim I think we are mis- understanding each other, I have every tc Sony made for the ssm primes and zooms and every tc Minolta made for their primes and zooms with the different internal gearing for apo ranges, but I was of the opinion that no teleconverters worked on either the lea-4 or 5 due to the space from sensor to lens on mirrorless? I could be wrong. I believe the awesome Minolta 80-200 was not made to take a teleconverter Tim

If you use Lens > TC, then adapter, it' exactly the same as putting a TC on a lens when using a DSLR. The adapter makes up the difference between the sensor and lens (or TC).

Not AF, but this was a test image with the A7R III, Minolta 500/8 AF Reflex, Kalimar 1.4 TC, and LA-EA4. Obviously there's no distance issue. In this case it wouldn't AF. Some do, some don't.

If you click through to Flickr you can zoom in and easily read the printing on the bottle.
52057813014_15d668c7f5_o by telecast, on Flickr

If you use Lens > TC, then adapter, it' exactly the same as putting a TC on a lens when using a DSLR. The adapter makes up the difference between the sensor and lens (or TC).

Not AF, but this was a test image with the A7R III, Minolta 500/8 AF Reflex, Kalimar 1.4 TC, and LA-EA4. Obviously there's no distance issue. In this case it wouldn't AF. Some do, some don't.

If you click through to Flickr you can zoom in and easily read the printing on the bottle.
52057813014_15d668c7f5_o by telecast, on Flickr
interesting I need try that Tim (y)

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back