A1 in mid 2023?

Interesting you mention the global shutter. You don't hear much about them anymore. With cameras like the A1, Canon's R whatever, and Nikon's Z8 and 9 (which really don't have mechanical shutters), is the need for a global shutter reduced to zero? I mean, if you can get 20 or 30 FPS with no rolling shutter, how many more frames do you need in a second? Is something going to happen between the 25th and 26th frame of a 50FPS burst that you'd miss with a 30FPS burst?

Maybe for some highly specialized shooting, but short of that, it seems like we're reached the point of diminishing returns.
so regarding frame rate I know people brag that the first frame to last are all as good and in perfect focus, on these high rate cameras but that is not true in reality, people get less subjective about these things, only having got the much maligned a9 mk1 that everyone knocks for low megapixel count and having a built in filter that destroys images apparently, there seems to be a lot of people suddenly interested in the up coming a9iii. the other thing is memory cards on the a9 I only get 12-1300 images on a 64g card with a9 24 megapixel at 20 frames it would soon fill so 50 meg must be a nightmare shooting full tilt

so regarding frame rate I know people brag that the first frame to last are all as good and in perfect focus, on these high rate cameras but that is not true in reality, people get less subjective about these things, only having got the much maligned a9 mk1 that everyone knocks for low megapixel count and having a built in filter that destroys images apparently, there seems to be a lot of people suddenly interested in the up coming a9iii. the other thing is memory cards on the a9 I only get 12-1300 images on a 64g card with a9 24 megapixel at 20 frames it would soon fill so 50 meg must be a nightmare shooting full tilt
Sony has pretty much abandoned Antialiasing filters, that's a good thing. Having used both there is a noticeable difference. The other thing we can look forward to on Sony's new releases is Lossless Compressed RAW. According to them, it reduces file size by 60-70%. In other words, you could keep more files from an A7 IV on the same size card. Problem: Not all processing programs recognize Sony's Lossless Compressed yet.

I think I remember seeing Manny Ortiz talking about the A1 and flashes and saying something about it actually syncing faster with the ES than documented.

Was just a general note not directed at anyone. I agree that you are probably going to fine more lightly used copies of A1s today than after the announcement of the A1ii.
I also think that until a global shutter hits the market we are only going to see like 5% improvements in cameras from generation to generation. I am excluding mp count in that statement because there are 150mp cameras out there and does moving from 24 to 33 count if other cameras have more?

There is that feature in which you can sync up to avoid the banding when using ES. I remember reading and hearing about it but I have never used it.
I thought it was fine-tuning the mechanical shutter. Hmm, I better go back and re-read that section!

I started using 128GB SD cards on the A7RIV, shooting uncompressed RAW files (123MB, give or take).
The A1 gives me a lot more files on those same cards because it offers lossless compressed files, which are substantially smaller.

However, if you are shooting at 20 and 30 fps, you'll be shooting lossy compressed RAW, and yes, the A1 files will be substantially larger (like around double the size compared to the A9). I'd suggest using 128GB SDs or 160GB CFeA cards (they are now a bit cheaper than they were...) - you'll fit double the number of files on each 128GB card as you would on a 64GB, even more on a 160GB card.

If the A9III continues with the same pixel count as the A9 and A9II, then you can probably stick with the same cards. I think that's a real possibility - Sony's customers at some big press organisations might have a bigger say in the pixel count than any of us.

Sony has pretty much abandoned Antialiasing filters, that's a good thing. Having used both there is a noticeable difference. The other thing we can look forward to on Sony's new releases is Lossless Compressed RAW. According to them, it reduces file size by 60-70%. In other words, you could keep more files from an A7 IV on the same size card. Problem: Not all processing programs recognize Sony's Lossless Compressed yet.
Yes, the AA filter that was a must in the days of the 8Mp sensor is not required when the sensor is 50Mp +

All the processors I use recognise Sony lossless compressed real RAW files; but there are some (like DxO) that don't recognise the "reduced resolution pseudo-RAW" files. For the A7RV the 60Mp FF and 26Mp APS-C files are recognised, but 15Mp files are not/

I think it's more accurate to say that Sony's lossless compression reduces file size TO 60-70% of original, not BY 60-70% - subtle difference in wording, but important. The lossless compressed files are still bigger than the lossy compressed files (which are about 50% of the size of the uncompressed).

I think it's more accurate to say that Sony's lossless compression reduces file size TO 60-70% of original, not BY 60-70% - subtle difference in wording, but important. The lossless compressed files are still bigger than the lossy compressed files (which are about 50% of the size of the uncompressed).

From DPReview
The most significant addition in firmware version 1.1 for the Sony a7 IV is Lossless Compressed Raw (cRAW) still image capture in two new sizes: small (8.2MP), medium (14.2MP). Sony says its cRAW files are roughly 60–70% smaller than an equivalent Uncompressed Raw image, all while maintaining nearly all of the benefits of Raw images have to offer.

Edited to add: Affinity Photo recognizes them, Darktable doesn't, yet, although it's promised at the next release. I'm also hoping they add the noise profiles for the A7 IV so I can use their excellent profiled NR.

Last edited:
I assume, there is an electronic shutter counter, since the camera has to keep track of the number that each exposure gets. The number in the meta data can be changed by the user in the menu but the master number is still in the camera somewhere. Maybe, one of those 16 year old hackers can find it.

From DPReview

Edited to add: Affinity Photo recognizes them, Darktable doesn't, yet, although it's promised at the next release. I'm also hoping they add the noise profiles for the A7 IV so I can use their excellent profiled NR.

Not the first time DPReview has phrased something badly. It's also possible that it's merely a mis-translation from the Japanese.

Fact is, I have compared the files sizes, and they are not reduced BY 60-70%, but TO 60-70%. Fact, not theory. The A1 uncompressed files are about 100MB. The lossless compressed ones are generally 60-70MB (occasionally a bit bigger).

Not the first time DPReview has phrased something badly. It's also possible that it's merely a mis-translation from the Japanese.

Fact is, I have compared the files sizes, and they are not reduced BY 60-70%, but TO 60-70%. Fact, not theory. The A1 uncompressed files are about 100MB. The lossless compressed ones are generally 60-70MB (occasionally a bit bigger).
I'll check the A7 IV today and see what it does.

I read through this thread because I’m considering a A1 purchase. For me, it’s 100% a ‘want’ and nothing more than a splurge. My question is simply whether it’s considered a certainty that a A1 v2 will be released this summer?

Lots of great stuff to consider in this thread. I appreciate all the viewpoints. Thanks!

I read through this thread because I’m considering a A1 purchase. For me, it’s 100% a ‘want’ and nothing more than a splurge. My question is simply whether it’s considered a certainty that a A1 v2 will be released this summer?

Lots of great stuff to consider in this thread. I appreciate all the viewpoints. Thanks!
No one knows. However, @AlphaWorld has a pretty good guess that they will release it just prior to the next Olympics to get the added press. Other indicators are that Sony is to release their new APS-C A6700, the A9III, and a 'surprise' camera this year, and it's unlikely they'd drop a new flagship along with so many top line cameras in one year. Lastly, some speculate Sony is waiting for Canon to release the R1 so they can swoop in and undercut them.

My own opinion is that it's unlikely we'll see it this year, but it's all rumor at this point.

Back