Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I tried something a little different recently. I inherited a Maxxum 9 and one of the lenses, a 50mm f1.4, looked worth a try on my Sony camera:
20220401_132022.jpg
  • SM-G975U
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.5
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 640

The converter is from a company called URTH:

First impressions: the lens and converter all fit together nicely, so no wobble in the connection. Sadly there are no electrical connections so this is fully manual. Focus ring is a bit narrow, but very smooth. Focusing with focus peaking helps, but manually focusing on moving targets is impossible haha.

My first test subjects were my cats and it was a bit challenging to nail focus!
DSC09243.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • ----
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 8000

DSC09241.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • ----
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 2000

DSC09247.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • ----
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 400

DSC09251.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • ----
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 400

I might try some other objects around the house, maybe some flowers. So far, not bad!

How many cats? I love cats!

Focusing with focus peaking helps, but manually focusing on moving targets is impossible haha.
No it's not. How do you suppose we did it before AF? Your DOF is right there in front of you on the lens, time to learn zone focusing

Nice shots!

No it's not. How do you suppose we did it before AF? Your DOF is right there in front of you on the lens, time to learn zone focusing

Nice shots!
Haha I'm thoroughly spoiled by beginning my photography journey in earnest 2 years ago. I know I need to learn things like this, but sometimes its hard to force yourself to "dumb down" the technology we spent big $ on.
I think what I meant to say was, at f1.4 the margin of error for nailing focus on an unwilling subject is very difficult.

Haha I'm thoroughly spoiled by beginning my photography journey in earnest 2 years ago. I know I need to learn things like this, but sometimes its hard to force yourself to "dumb down" the technology we spent big $ on.
I think what I meant to say was, at f1.4 the margin of error for nailing focus on an unwilling subject is very difficult.
True. At 1.4 your DOF is razor thin up close. But learning that focus range scale on the lens will help.

And I agree 1000% (is that possible?) with dumbing down technology. You do what you have to with adapted lenses, but I expect results with AF. When I used to complain about the AF on my old camera people would tell me to use zone focusing. Yeah...as if I spent $thousands for that... :cautious:

I tried something a little different recently. I inherited a Maxxum 9 and one of the lenses, a 50mm f1.4, looked worth a try on my Sony camera:
View attachment 18561

The converter is from a company called URTH:

First impressions: the lens and converter all fit together nicely, so no wobble in the connection. Sadly there are no electrical connections so this is fully manual. Focus ring is a bit narrow, but very smooth. Focusing with focus peaking helps, but manually focusing on moving targets is impossible haha.

My first test subjects were my cats and it was a bit challenging to nail focus!
View attachment 18562
View attachment 18563
View attachment 18564
View attachment 18565

I might try some other objects around the house, maybe some flowers. So far, not bad!
interesting what if any options do you have for for focus peaking etc, or do you not see any options with the adaptor and lens on camera

interesting what if any options do you have for for focus peaking etc, or do you not see any options with the adaptor and lens on camera
ok just read the rest of the thread so you have focus peaking, I use it once in a while on some adapted lenses and after practice it does get easier and honestly as brownie says it how we did back in the day manual focus became second nature we are so lucky with the digital af cameras now

So the funny thing is when I use a native e-mount lens and then use my custom button to manually focus, I get focus peaking and a zoomed in view. With the combo above, focus peaking is on by default, but I don't get the zoomed in view. Clearly more practice is needed.

So the funny thing is when I use a native e-mount lens and then use my custom button to manually focus, I get focus peaking and a zoomed in view. With the combo above, focus peaking is on by default, but I don't get the zoomed in view. Clearly more practice is needed.
There maybe someone out there on the web that can help on options on the use of old glass on your camera, it is something I am interested in the march towards just throwing well made glass away is crazy if it can be used

Check your manual. On the A7 IV:

• [Auto Magnifier in MF] is not available when a Mount Adaptor is attached. Use the [Focus Magnifier] function instead.

So it's there, but you have to set it to activate. Not sure about the 6000 series, but I'd bet it's the same.

One thing I've learned is that I no longer trust my older eyes looking through a plain viewfinder. Back when we shot film, the cameras had prisms, rangefinders, or other focusing aids built in. These made focusing a lot quicker and easier. A plain view makes focusing (and especially fast focusing) very difficult. I just trust peaking when I use legacy glass. If it has a sensitivity setting set it to be less sensitive. It will be more accurate at the edges.

Another thing you may run into is light. The sensor needs enough light to see the edges of the objects that it's using for peaking. If light is too low or you're stopped down too far it won't work.

I have about 25 or 30 legacy lenses in A-Mount, MC/MD, PK, and M-42 from 28mm through 300mm, both primes and zooms. What I've learned over the years is that I treat them as novelties. For me personally, it's not worth a lot of time or money with the one exception being A-Mount. Even at that my use is limited. That's just me, there are guys who use old lenses exclusively because they love it. YMMV.

Last edited:
Back