Firmware version v2.00 has now been released for the Sony a6400. This firmware update adds real-time Eye AF for animals (my setup guide), support for the RMT-P1BT wireless remote commander (my setup and user guide), as well as improving the overall stability of the a6400.
You can download firmware v2.00 from the following Sony support sites:
Make sure you follow the install guide tips on the download page, especially for Mac computers as it’s not so simple. I’d recommend navigating to your local Sony support site if your native language is not English. Also it’s best to use the micro usb cable that came with the a6400 for the update.
If you are struggling with installing it on your Mac then Jason Vong’s YouTube Video is also helpful.
For help on using Animal Eye AF please refer to the relevant section in the a6400 online help guide.
Once you have installed the firmware update you might find my following Animal Eye AF setup guide helpful:
One small tip: To detect animal eyes, arrange the composition so that both eyes and the nose of the animal are within the angle of view. It does work sometimes with just one eye in view, but works better with two. It also works best on animals with cat and dog like faces, don’t expect it to work well on birds.
Sony a6400 Firmware v2.00 Benefits and Improvements
- Adds real-time Eye AF for animals
- Adds support for the RMT-P1BT wireless remote commander (sold separately)
- Improves the overall stability of the camera
Detecting human and animal eyes simultaneously is not supported
Depending on the environment, animal type, and the movement of the animal, eye detection may not be possible
My Sony a6400 Resources
- Sony a6400 Accessories Guide
- Sony a6400 Lenses Guide
- Sony a6400 Sample Images
- Sony a6400 Shooters Facebook Group
* Sony RMT-P1BT Remote Commander Price & Deals Check
* Sony a6400 Price & Deals Check
Please Help Me to Keep Alpha Shooters Going and Growing.
I don’t like to ask for PayPal donations but there are two very easy and completely free ways that you can support this site.
1. By purchasing your gear through the affiliate links (denoted with *) on this site or by visiting the Alpha Shooters Amazon Store (US Only) to check out my recommended Sony Alpha Gear and Accessories. If you buy something after clicking a link I may receive a small commission, but don’t worry as the price still remains the same for you.
2. By sharing this sites content that you find helpful on social media, in forums, or linking back to it from your own website.
If you do buy through my links or share my content, then thank you very much for your kind support and I look forward to seeing your shots in one of the many Alpha Shooters Facebook Groups that I run.