Sony A7 IV A7 IV Power Off When Closing Flipout Screen

TomasM

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Tomas Myklebost
Hi!
Does anyone know if this is a feature which can be disabled?

I mainly use the EVF and flip out the screen if I need to, after which the camera shuts down.
Perhaps I will get used to it, but for now I am missing shots because of it.

Thanks
Tomas

Solution
I think by default when you flip the screen out then flip it over to protect the screen and push it back in it goes into power save. If you go into the Menu > Setup > Power Setting Option then change this to "Does Not Link" that should stop it from happening.
Hi!
Does anyone know if this is a feature which can be disabled?

I mainly use the EVF and flip out the screen if I need to, after which the camera shuts down.
Perhaps I will get used to it, but for now I am missing shots because of it.

Thanks
Tomas
That's interesting. I tried it with my A7M4 and when I shut the EVF, things go blank but I don't believe the camera turns off because when I turn my camera off, there are some normal noises such as the Shutter protecting the Sensor but that does not happen. I thought I could toggle my Finder on, but I cannot. I'll do more checking and report back.

Problem solved. After closing the monitor, a half press on the shutter will light up the Finder as long as your face is positioned correctly.

Thanks for looking into this Jeff!

I dont use the shutter to protect the sensor, so I did not notice that. It does however seem to go into some kind of sleep mode as the EVF and IBIS will be disabled. The second the camera takes to reenable the EVF and IBIS and get ready to capture might not really be a big issue, but it is annoying when you lift the camera to your eye expecting it to be ready to shoot. My a7siii lets me open and close the screen to my hearts content, all the while keeping all the functionalities of the camera operational.
It seems to be a little talked about issue, so I guess very few people are botherd with it. But I am having trouble seeing why anyone would want the camera to behave this way.

I think by default when you flip the screen out then flip it over to protect the screen and push it back in it goes into power save. If you go into the Menu > Setup > Power Setting Option then change this to "Does Not Link" that should stop it from happening.

Solution
Back