Sony A7C A7C Menu Update

badgood

Followers
Following
Name
Dean M
Does anyone know if Sony are going to push the later updated Sony camera menu format to A7C, or indeed, is it even possible as a firmware update ?

Solution
I very much doubt it mate.
It's an 'old' camera, and not their flagship model, so what you purchased is what you get.

I have a A7C too but am unsure why people don't like the menu system, I think its fine - I added the items I use often to the 'My Menu 3 pages' and got the camera to default to them when pressing the menu button - wallah, everything you want immediately...
It's an 'old' camera, and not their flagship model, so what you purchased is what you get.

I have a A7C too but am unsure why people don't like the menu system, I think its fine - I added the items I use often to the 'My Menu 3 pages' and got the camera to default to them when pressing the menu button - wallah, everything you want immediately...

Solution
From what I can tell, the new menu layout was programmed for use on the BIONZ XR Image Processor. The A7C is on the BIONZ X Image Processor. I doubt Sony will take time to re-program for the older processor.

Good advice, I will certainly bear it in mind and try it at some point.

From what I can tell, the new menu layout was programmed for use on the BIONZ XR Image Processor. The A7C is on the BIONZ X Image Processor. I doubt Sony will take time to re-program for the older processor.
Understand your point but if Sony made the effort to improve simple things like the menu and touch screen they would bring this camera right up to date.
It is simply a wonderful high tech camera and the A/F and sensor still can’t be topped as far as I’m concerned.
Appreciate the comments though and spot on.

Sony is expected to release the A7CM2 in 2023. It'll likely have an awful lot of upgrades.

Understand your point but if Sony made the effort to improve simple things like the menu and touch screen they would bring this camera right up to date.
It is simply a wonderful high tech camera and the A/F and sensor still can’t be topped as far as I’m concerned.
Appreciate the comments though and spot on.
How would that help Sony's profits though?
Difficult to get much sales hype about a firmware upgrade of a menu system - much easier for a new model with sexy new features.

Btw, for +video+ the animal eye AF is criminally bad for wildlife in Africa, I consider it fraudulent to market it as a feature, it doesn't work, so glad it works for you - do you want to buy mine?! ;-p

Sony is expected to release the A7CM2 in 2023. It'll likely have an awful lot of upgrades.
Hopefully to the awful to use in sunshine EVF :)

Other than the Video Animal AF and EVF, I do like the camera for its small size...

How would that help Sony's profits though?
Difficult to get much sales hype about a firmware upgrade of a menu system - much easier for a new model with sexy new features.

Btw, for +video+ the animal eye AF is criminally bad for wildlife in Africa, I consider it fraudulent to market it as a feature, it doesn't work, so glad it works for you - do you want to buy mine?! ;-p
😂 don’t get it being either fraudulent or bad for wildlife !!! Am I missing something

Explanation: Not once did the AF-C in 4K 25p VIDEO mode ever work (ie: small box around eye showing its in focus) on things like a Rhino at any kind of distance.

Hopefully to the awful to use in sunshine EVF :)

Other than the Video Animal AF and EVF, I do like the camera for its small size...
The A7C is Sony's cheapest and smallest Full Frame body. It strikes me that buying the least expensive of something in any product line and then expecting the same features and performance as top of the line or even a midpoint product is irrational.

You just pointed out in a previous post that upgrading firmware doesn't help Sony with sales. Neither does putting their best performance in their cheapest camera. Why would anyone buy anything else?

Within reasonable expectation and limitations, the same limitations that every camera has. My A7M4 has AF that's far more advanced than the A7C, yet it's still not perfect. No camera is. You'll find the same claims from Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Fuji, and OMD. Are any of them perfect? Nope. Some are definitely better than others, but none are infallible.

The company that eventually perfects AF will make an awful lot of money and may put some others out of business. So far it hasn't happened.

Your are not debating against my point. My point is that it doesn't work at all to even a basic level (away from a few domestic animals it seems).
Not that it fails sometimes on a few animals at difficult angles in low light. It doesn't pick up a static Rhino for example.
It is fraudulent to claim it has AF for animals if it doesn't even recognise 20 different animals that you commonly see on safari in my opinion. If it only recognises a few animals then this should be clearly stated.

Anyway, last post to you and lets leave it there ;-)

Your are not debating against my point. My point is that it doesn't work at all to even a basic level (away from a few domestic animals it seems).
Not that it fails sometimes on a few animals at difficult angles in low light. It doesn't pick up a static Rhino for example.
It is fraudulent to claim it has AF for animals if it doesn't even recognise 20 different animals that you commonly see on safari in my opinion. If it only recognises a few animals then this should be clearly stated.

Anyway, last post to you and lets leave it there ;-)
I understand the frustration and if it were me, I'd likely be just as frustrated. Your previous post cited only a Rhinoceros, but if it's missing that many types of animals then it sounds like a definite problem.

The A7C is Sony's cheapest and smallest Full Frame body. It strikes me that buying the least expensive of something in any product line and then expecting the same features and performance as top of the line or even a midpoint product is irrational.

You just pointed out in a previous post that upgrading firmware doesn't help Sony with sales. Neither does putting their best performance in their cheapest camera. Why would anyone buy anything else?
Sounds like we have some gear snobs here….since when do bells and whistles take good photographs…
My A7C takes great photos just the same as my Praktika did 50 years ago.
Come on “Brownie“ stop the snobbery, it’s not about who has the most expensive kit with the most bells and whistles but about photograph, after all, we all see images in different ways…..
I thought the size of one’s lens was a thing of the past…….

Sounds like we have some gear snobs here….since when do bells and whistles take good photographs…
My A7C takes great photos just the same as my Praktika did 50 years ago.
Come on “Brownie“ stop the snobbery, it’s not about who has the most expensive kit with the most bells and whistles but about photograph, after all, we all see images in different ways…..
I thought the size of one’s lens was a thing of the past…….
Sorry you're butthurt, but it's a fact. You were the one asking why it didn't have the same features as the more expensive cameras. Here's another thing you may not like: It's also their worst selling FF camera.

My cameras don't have the speed of an A9, the resolution of a RM4 or RM5, or almost any features of the A1. I accept that for what it is, maybe you should too.

My butt doesn’t hurt, I just take exception at guys that seem to think $ make the best images.
Get over yourself and look at images and not who has the most pixels and longest most expensive camera or lens….

My butt doesn’t hurt, I just take exception at guys that seem to think $ make the best images.
Get over yourself and look at images and not who has the most pixels and longest most expensive camera or lens….
You are a pill, aren't you? Go back and read, try to comprehend. If you'd take a second you'd understand that I was defending the camera against the claim that the Sony's AF claims about it are fraudulent, but you're so butthurt you can't see the forest for the trees. Why? Because I mentioned a different camera for comparison? Aw, gee...

Long lens, small mind.
To constantly refer to something as cheapest is to look down one’s nose..
This topic has reached its end from my point.
Have a nice day

Last edited:
Long lens, small mind.
To constant refer to something as cheapest is to look down one’s nose..
This topic has reached its end from my point.
Have a nice day
LOL. Constantly? I used the word one time. Would you feel better if I'd said 'least expensive'? Does 'lowest priced' do it for you? Of course this topic has reached its end for you, there's no basis in your position. Your reaction was knee-jerk and you know it.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for correcting my mistake, it was actually this dammed predictive text input.
Maybe I need to proof read more carefully, but thanks anyway.
I have corrected my original post.

Thank you for correcting my mistake, it was actually this dammed predictive text input.
Maybe I need to proof read more carefully, but thanks anyway.
I have corrected my original post.
Wait, I thought you were done with the topic?

You really don’t get it do you.
I asked a simple question and received some excellent feedback until you responded and seemed to want a fight, you offered nothing of any value to the conversation but seem to enjoy being controversial, which adds nothing.
You need to get out more with your kit, switch to manual and maybe you could input some valuable advice.
I suggest you find someone else to cross swords with as I will now make sure you can’t make contact with me.
I can’t put it any more plainly, as we say here in the good old UK….”do one mate“ you are a Tosser

Last edited:
LOL. Still talking, eh? You're the one who started the argument because in your tiny little mind you misunderstood the post and thought I was disparaging your camera by comparing it to other models. I get it just fine, too bad you don't. As we say here in the good old US, you have a bad case of red ass. GFY.

To return to the original question, no, Sony will not add the new menu system to any camera using the old processor. Not just the A7C, but all the A7R models up to the A7RIV, the A7 models up to the A7III, you get the idea. The new menu system using tech baked into the BIONZ XR processor, and all the older models use the much less capable BIONZ X.

However, the new menu system will be a part of any future model of A7C, when / if that comes out. There may be rumours about when that will be, but there's no announced date, just guesses.

To return to the original question, no, Sony will not add the new menu system to any camera using the old processor. Not just the A7C, but all the A7R models up to the A7RIV, the A7 models up to the A7III, you get the idea. The new menu system using tech baked into the BIONZ XR processor, and all the older models use the much less capable BIONZ X.

However, the new menu system will be a part of any future model of A7C, when / if that comes out. There may be rumours about when that will be, but there's no announced date, just guesses.
Really simple explanation to a somewhat complex issue.
Thanks, that clears it up for me.

Back