A7R IV or Swap to A7 IV? For Small Birds

russellsnr

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Russell Webb (snr)
Here is my inexperience showing up with Sony equipment (Ex Canon)
I have the A7R IV and very happy with the images results as far as detail, exposure etc goes but what I struggle with is getting that focus point on the eyes of smaller birds, I cannot decide if I should trade in/sell the A7R IV and go for the A7 IV for the bird eye focusing option the A7 IV offers, is it really good enough to justify a switch? I also find the large files from the A7R IV take some time for the computer to process but can handle that.
Thanks in advance,
Russ.

I only have the A7 IV (only Sony camera I have owned), but the bird eye detection does indeed seem to work well. So if you do a lot of birds I suppose it would be worth switching for that, assuming you can get close to them. I have read others say they like the resolution of the A7R IV for birds because they can crop in and still get good feather detail. So maybe the deciding factor is if you do a lot of cropping on your shots?

I think that if I didn't have my A9 I would go for the A7iv for my wildlife.

If you can afford it, the A1 is superb for birds - ample pixels for cropping, excellent AF (including bird eye af), zero blackout EVF, and it gives you more time to photograph birds by emptying your wallet of the money you could spend on doing other things…

The A7RIV is popular with some bird shooters because it has lots of pixels for cropping, but it does have older AF, and the slower CPU. If you have good technique, you can get brilliant bird photos with this camera, but you have to work a bit harder.

The A9 doesn’t give you a lot of croppable pixels, but its AF is excellent (no bird eye AF, though). It is fast and offers zero blackout EVF, which can make following a flying bird easier.

The A7IV is a good general purpose camera. It is not a speed demon like the A1 or A9; it is not a pixel monster like the A7RIV or A1; it doesn’t offer zero-blackout EVF. But it does have bird-eye AF, and it has the new CPU. Basically, it’s a solid camera with the new CPU and a few more pixels than the A9.

It’s hard to make a recommendation because price is a significant factor, and because the lenses you have, or intend to get, matter.

I'd say stay with the RIV unless you can afford the A1. With effort the RIV is fine for BIF, look at my Terns post, but, as Tiny says.it requires some harder work and a little frustration .

Thankyou for all the replies and advice.
To be honest as I said in the OP I am happy with the images I get from the A7R IV but seem to struggle getting focus on the Eye/Head of small birds like Blue Tits, Robins etc.
Maybe try another approach on the focus choices with the camera but I assumed that the flex Spot Small and Expand Flex spot that I have set would be the go to options, would using the tracking option along with the focus area make a difference with static birds?
Again thankyou, Russ.

Thankyou for all the replies and advice.
To be honest as I said in the OP I am happy with the images I get from the A7R IV but seem to struggle getting focus on the Eye/Head of small birds like Blue Tits, Robins etc.
Maybe try another approach on the focus choices with the camera but I assumed that the flex Spot Small and Expand Flex spot that I have set would be the go to options, would using the tracking option along with the focus area make a difference with static birds?
Again thankyou, Russ.
I never use anything other than single centre focus, and don't actually use Animal eye, as it doesn't give you tracking options, though I keep meaning to test some custom settings to see if I can just have those on a set button.
Anyway, the problem with flex spot and expand is that they still look for movement to follow, whereas single centre literally stays where you point it. It's by far the most accurate of the modes.

I have after viewing a YouTube video also taken off the animal eye as apparently it gets confused on occasion and focuses on the wrong part of the animal/bird.
Will try your suggestion on the single centre and see how it goes.

I have after viewing a YouTube video also taken off the animal eye as apparently it gets confused on occasion and focuses on the wrong part of the animal/bird.
Will try your suggestion on the single centre and see how it goes.
Animal Eye AF was never really designed for birds on the a7R IV, even though it will work occasionally with some birds. On the a7IV Bird Eye AF works really well for perched birds, of course there are always exceptions. It struggles to find the eyes of goldfinches and often focuses on the bright yellow streak down the side of their body instead.

Animal Eye AF was never really designed for birds on the a7R IV, even though it will work occasionally with some birds. On the a7IV Bird Eye AF works really well for perched birds, of course there are always exceptions. It struggles to find the eyes of goldfinches and often focuses on the bright yellow streak down the side of their body instead.
Thanks yes I found that especially on Chaffinch it jumps to the back feathers and as you say it is not so good on other smaller birds think I will stick with the 7R IV with animal eye off for then. Russ.

Thanks yes I found that especially on Chaffinch it jumps to the back feathers and as you say it is not so good on other smaller birds think I will stick with the 7R IV with animal eye off for then. Russ.
I have mine on Human, so that I keep tracking modes, and it works well on animals with big eyes, like seals :)

Although animal eye is not for birds I find that on the A9 it sometimes catches the eyes of small birds and tracks them. It’s not reliable enough to use all the time but occasionally get it.

OK, many thanks, after all that I am keeping hold of the A7R IV only owned since April so will keep on with the practice:)

I keep telling myself to stay out of these threads, but here goes I have the a9 and never use the eye focus I know with the a9 if I get good focus on the head the eye will be in focus if that Is what I want , Kev has the a74r and seems to be at one with it , and as others have said stick with it you will find what works for you

Back