All Models A7RC (yeah, I know it's A7CR, but A7RC fits this forum better) - EFCS only?

AlphaWorld

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tony
I've read the announcement and a couple of reviews, but there's a question I haven't seen answered:

Is the A7CR another body with a single curtain shutter (EFCS or electronic - no full mechanical)? I've seen some speculation but maybe I missed a review where someone answered the question.

With that sensor, you'd think a full mechanical shutter would be a necessity, wouldn't you?

That is a bit odd.I've always shot high s/s with full mechanical.

I was a bit surprised of no CF Express card usability...

That is a bit odd.I've always shot high s/s with full mechanical.

I was a bit surprised of no CF Express card usability...
I think the cost of those cards would be a turn off for who they are marketing the camera to. Sony seems to see this as an entry level A7RV

I expected them to eliminate some features to maintain the difference between it and the RV. If you gave it all the same features the only difference would be form factor, and that's not worth $900.

At that price the a7r5 makes more sense ,let the dust settle and maybe the import market will show us a A7cr for less than the a7r5 which it should as release price is £500 less than the a7r5 was on release.the a7c2 is in my opinion over priced it should be around £1800 release to be competitive

That Australian price is $350 US dollars more than here in the US
US prices in US dollars
A7RV $3899
A7CR $2999
I think the A7CR will sell well here because of that $900 difference
The A7CII might have a harder time because even though it has some newer stuff that A7IV it is only $300 cheaper

A7RV was $6,200 on release here. I bought it for $4,850. I expect the A7CR to settle down to around $4,000 once it's been out for a bit.

from what I saw there is no mechanical shutter, for my use I do not see it as an issue yet. I am just wondering if it really is that much smaller and less noticable than the A7RV in the hands
No, it definitely does have a mechanical shutter, but I’m asking if the shutter has one curtain or two. This sensor is way too slow to do away with the mechanical shutter completely.

I guess so, although it still won't be a cheap camera even after it's honeymoon period. I'm interested to see how well it sells. These are the prices right this minute...

View attachment 46025View attachment 46026

At my favourite pusher, er, dealer, the A7CR is listed at A$4699, and the A7RV at A$4504 - I kid you not! Ok, about the same difference as you were shoeing, but with less scrolling!

Can you imagine anyone paying more to get the A7CR? It’s not a lot more, but it is a lot less :cool:

No, it definitely does have a mechanical shutter, but I’m asking if the shutter has one curtain or two. This sensor is way too slow to do away with the mechanical shutter completely.
it only has one curtain like the a7c ,which can cause issues with f1.4 or wider aperture lenses on specular highlights by all accounts but only in some scenarios

At my favourite pusher, er, dealer, the A7CR is listed at A$4699, and the A7RV at A$4504 - I kid you not! Ok, about the same difference as you were shoeing, but with less scrolling!

Can you imagine anyone paying more to get the A7CR? It’s not a lot more, but it is a lot less :cool:

Why not? Compactness is one of the reasons that EVIL cameras got so popular in the first place, so a compact version of the A7RV can be a reason of preference, even with a similar price or some sacrifices. Each person values different characteristics. That's why the range of cameras available keeps growing. It's all about finding the gear that checks most of your needs (and that you can afford).

Why not? Compactness is one of the reasons that EVIL cameras got so popular in the first place, so a compact version of the A7RV can be a reason of preference, even with a similar price or some sacrifices. Each person values different characteristics. That's why the range of cameras available keeps growing. It's all about finding the gear that checks most of your needs (and that you can afford).
being compact is one of its features agreed but sony does have maybe to many cameras in its range as some like a7r2 are still being sold then we have apsc a6600 a6400 and now the a6700 ,also all the blogging cameras z whatevers they are called ,so we have the a1 ,a9 soon a92 ,a7r5,4,3,2 ,a73,4 ,a7s2,1a7c a7c2 a7rc think the range could be streamlined a little

Personally, I think the A7 series bodies are already quite compact so I don't see the sense of losing such a fantastic screen which I adore for even a bit less money if that was the case. I love everything about the A7RV.

I agree Alex, everyone likes different things. It's great to see these expanded options available to suit all the different tastes and needs. That's the way it should be. ✅

being compact is one of its features agreed but sony does have maybe to many cameras in its range as some like a7r2 are still being sold then we have apsc a6600 a6400 and now the a6700 ,also all the blogging cameras z whatevers they are called ,so we have the a1 ,a9 soon a92 ,a7r5,4,3,2 ,a73,4 ,a7s2,1a7c a7c2 a7rc think the range could be streamlined a little

I was watching the PetaPixel podcast yesterday and they went through the Sony range and what is still being sold. You're absolutely spot on, it's a crazy amount of cameras overlapping each other.

I’ve just received an invite to pre-order the A7C-r from Sony Australia for AUS $4,999. For comparison, I can purchase A7Rv from George’s Cameras for, you guessed it…. AUS $4,999

Difficult decisions….

I’ve just received an invite to pre-order the A7C-r from Sony Australia for AUS $4,999. For comparison, I can purchase A7Rv from George’s Cameras for, you guessed it…. AUS $4,999

Difficult decisions….
DigiDirect had the A7RV notably cheaper than the A7CR - insanity. It's not like there is anything on the A7CR which is better, and there are quite a few things that are worse.

DigiDirect had the A7RV notably cheaper than the A7CR - insanity. It's not like there is anything on the A7CR which is better, and there are quite a few things that are worse.
I’m a regular at the Bondi store. Little Champions!

Back