A7RV vs A7IV ISO upgrade

dindludovic

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Ludovic Dind
Hi everyone, does anyone have any feedback on the ISO boost of the A7RV versus the A7IV? I'm hesitating in these two cameras... ISO rise is a pretty important element for me so it can really guide my choice. 😅

What are you using to measure? Neither Photons to Photos nor DXOMark have it listed yet so there's no data other than what the manufacturer provides, which is usually overly optimistic. If it's that important to you I'd wait until the camera is released and there's some real-world test data. Unless youhave something over there that's been published already?

What are you using to measure? Neither Photons to Photos nor DXOMark have it listed yet so there's no data other than what the manufacturer provides, which is usually overly optimistic. If it's that important to you I'd wait until the camera is released and there's some real-world test data. Unless youhave something over there that's been published already?
No I haven't bought it yet. I'll wait a little longer until there are reliable tests. I am currently on an A7 III that I would like to upgrade.

Hugh likes the improved ISO capabilities.

But I'm skeptical until real world results are released from people that are not YT influencers.
The only high MP camera that I have been happy with for high ISO images has been the A1, so I'm hoping whatever magic Sony did with the A1 is in the A7Rv. Subjectively, with my A1, I'm comfortable going up to 8000 whereas with my A7Riv I'm not comfortable going past 3200.

Too early to say, but considering the smaller pixels on the A7R5 I cannot imagine it will perform better than the A74 in high ISO. The best you could hope for is that it will be about the same (which is of course very good). My intuition says the A7R5 will perform slightly worse in this regard (but better in most other ways). When I rented an A74 (before buying it), I did some test shots at dawn at high ISO against my Nikon D850 and Nikon D500 (the latter of which I have since sold). The differences were not huge, but the Sony A74 did have a bit less noise.

Too early to say, but considering the smaller pixels on the A7R5 I cannot imagine it will perform better than the A74 in high ISO. The best you could hope for is that it will be about the same (which is of course very good). My intuition says the A7R5 will perform slightly worse in this regard (but better in most other ways). When I rented an A74 (before buying it), I did some test shots at dawn at high ISO against my Nikon D850 and Nikon D500 (the latter of which I have since sold). The differences were not huge, but the Sony A74 did have a bit less noise.
Ok thank you very much for your information. I will wait a little more to have a real comparison of these 2 cameras.

According to DPR Review's early review, it has the same 15 stops of DR. You can't discount the advancement in new processors and computational photography. I'm not saying to run out and buy it based on that, my original recommendation to wait and see still stands. I'm just saying don't be surprised if it's closer than you think.

Back