A9 III arriving early

AlphaWorld

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tony
Not for our US friends, but apparently the A9 III has already appeared at a few shops in Europe, and others are expecting it today. Australia is reported to be getting a shipment next week (just before a three day weekend - what a shame!).

US is still reporting Late February.

So, did so few people pre-order it that Sony already had enough to fill the orders? Somehow I doubt that.

Or did Sony give a pessimistic date on the premise that no one complains if you deliver earlier than expected? That would make sense.

I think we should expect to see some reviews of production cameras rolling out now.

The import shops here in the UK already have stock, which is very unusual. I don't think there's too much interest

They have had the a9iii in far east before Christmas my son was out there for 3 weeks over Christmas new year and tested the a9iii and was completely under whelmed, the shop owners have heavy savings on UK price and the local store owners are of the opinion that this is way too niche for most shooters, he offered to bring me one back at aa then saving of £2,100 on Uk cost and I said it was of no interest. Since as Kev says in the grey import outlets in the UK before the Sony outlets here

So, did so few people pre-order it that Sony already had enough to fill the orders? Somehow I doubt that.
That's exactly what's happening. It's a niche camera and the niche isn't big enough. Every comment I've heard says that stores have far fewer preorders than expected and have them in stock.

It will be a success but not as a replacement for the A9ii. Sony needs to advertise it to a different customer base than wildlife photographers like me.

It will be a success but not as a replacement for the A9ii. Sony needs to advertise it to a different customer base than wildlife photographers like me.
Besides a very few regular folks like us who want one just because, everyone who would be interested in this camera (pro sports photographers) is already very aware.

Besides a very few regular folks like us who want one just because, everyone who would be interested in this camera (pro sports photographers) is already very aware.

D'ya think the sports photographers may have heard of it? :D I have seen some advertising for it, but I think the word of mouth would have spread very fast after the announcement. Entirely possible that some of the word of mouth would've been "have you heard how much Sony wants for their new camera?", and very likely "I bet the images are noisy".

Sony may not have advertised to some of the other potential markets (I'm thinking of concert and theatre photographers, for example), but I don't know how they'd reach those.

Arguably this is a small market camera to get the tech out there and prepare the market for the next big global shutter camera in maybe 3 or 4 years time (just as the A1 followed 4 years after the original A9). It's also serving as notice that Sony is not standing still.

It will be interesting to see the real reviews of the camera.

Sports photographers are aware but switching is another story.

Sports photographers are aware but switching is another story.
We'll probably never know, but I'd be willing to bet Sony will hand them out to pros shooting at the Super Bowl, Olympics, and other big events.

I don't think this camera was ever meant to sell in any kind of large numbers. This camera is a "look what we can do" to the photography world, and a shot across the bow to Canikon. Sony likes to keep competition in catch-up mode. Future cameras with Global Shutters will make more sense for people like us in features/performance/price. This camera isn't meant for that, it's an attention getter.

Panamoz have the A9 III in stock for £4800

We'll probably never know, but I'd be willing to bet Sony will hand them out to pros shooting at the Super Bowl, Olympics, and other big events.

I don't think this camera was ever meant to sell in any kind of large numbers. This camera is a "look what we can do" to the photography world, and a shot across the bow to Canikon. Sony likes to keep competition in catch-up mode. Future cameras with Global Shutters will make more sense for people like us in features/performance/price. This camera isn't meant for that, it's an attention getter.

Yes, that the theory I have come to, too.

My guess is that Sony Sensors Division created this sensor a year or more ago, and Sony Cameras division pondered wrapping it in a camera, and decided Yes for the “Sony was first” publicity (like stacked sensors back in 2017 with the first A9). I am certain Sony Sensors has been working on the NEXT global shutter sensor since then (And probably the one after that…). It took from 2017 to 2021 for Sony to release their second stacked sensor camera, but it was the A1, and it was worth the wait! Will we have to wait 4 years for the next global shutter sensor? Quite possibly - I think the predictions of an A1 II with a 60Mp global shutter sensor this year are coming from wishful thinking and ignorance!

I have wondered what the global shutter sensor costs. Probably a lot, given how complicated it has to be. I even wonder if Sony are making a bit of a loss on the first run of A9 III bodies, just so they can get some in the hands of photographers to conduct a major “alpha” test of the technology (I was going to say “beta test”, but the temptation was too great). Maybe that’s one of the reasons for the high price? Reduce demand? Then again, maybe the sensor is just expensive enough to require that price?

It will be interesting to see how many they sell.

It will also be really interesting to see what the competition do. My prediction is their first response will be fast stacked sensor “we don’t need global shutter” cameras. They will probably be good cameras - the Z9 is really good, and if they could get a faster version, that would be a good riposte. will be interesting to see Canon’s move.

Back