Followers
Following
Name
Fred Hood
Country
United States
City/State
Arizona
This was recently posted on NikonRumors: https://nikonrumors.com/2022/05/18/...-to-nikon-z-af-lens-adapter.aspx/#more-170098

No telling how well it will work (I have never tried any mount converter myself). If money was no object for me (which it is), I would be tempted to buy a Nikon Z9 with this adapter to use with my Sony FE 200-600 lens. That is the only Sony lens I own, paired with a Sony A74 (and battery grip). My other gear is two Nikon D850's (and three lenses). I love my Sony lens, but not crazy about the small form factor of Sony bodies.

Hi MrFotoFool,
like yourself I was a long time Nikon shooter before transitioning to Sony and have a range of Nikon lenses which i am selling presently including a 500mm f4, a 70-200 f2.8, and a variety of smaller lenses.

I did buy a Z9 around 4 months ago due to a range of circumstances and was planning to shoot both Nikon and Sony mirrorless ...Sony for birds/action and Nikon for macro, portraits and landscapes. In any event when i tried the Z9 with my 500mm f4 as well as the AZ adaptor and a x1.4 teleconvertor I quickly realised the weight to be very prohibitive and not supportive of my preferred hand holding for action/flying birds. The issue for me is the Z9 with a fixed Grip/battery is very heavy, and Nikons quoted full compatibility of AF-S lenses with the Z9 is not correct and AFS lens performance is very much compromised in my view. I am now retaining more of my Nikon lenses along with my D850 and 2 D500's albeit at a much reduced FPS rate compared to Sony. I have also sold the Z9 where because of pent up Z9 market supply/demand I did not lose anything in selling.

As you know with the D850 and battery grip you have the option of leaving the grip at home and carry one or 2 charged battery's with you if needed.

I have the Sony A1 with a grip which is the same grip for the a9 II and AR4 and adds a bit more heft to the A1 form factor making for a more comfortable situation after many years of using generally heavier DSLR bodies.

Hope this helps your decision making process......

I made the switch from Nikon to Sony back in the autumn of 2019 and have absolutely no intention of returning to Nikon. I'm very, very happy with my Sony gear and the images I'm getting -- why on earth would anyone want to try to kludge a stellar Sony lens on a Nikon body? I suspect that if you try you will wind up being very disappointed....

As I implied, I do not have the money to even think about it, so I am not planning on doing it. Just food for thought. In an ideal world, all full frame cameras would use the same mount so we could use any brand lens on any brand camera without an adapter!

The smaller bodies of mirrorless are one of the reasons I finally made the switch to FF. I was firmly entrenched in Panasonic M-4/3 when I started looking for better action focusing. Canon being right there at the top with their DSL-Rs was tempting, but the size was off-putting. At that time nether Canon nor Nikon had caught up to Sony's AF in mirrorless, and Nikon still hasn't with the possible exception of the Z9...but jeez, talk about huge! I am not a fan of the permanent vertical grip, which is really just a faux motor drive. It's far more intuitive for me to do it the same way we did it for years, by simply rotating the camera, no need to change your grip. A couple of spare batteries in my pocket are smaller and lighter.

Sony is kind of like coming home for me too having been a Minolta shooter in the '80's and 90's. Heck, even my Maxxums had built-in motor drives without that extra mass!

As I implied, I do not have the money to even think about it, so I am not planning on doing it. Just food for thought. In an ideal world, all full frame cameras would use the same mount so we could use any brand lens on any brand camera without an adapter!

Even if they did they probably wouldn't share features. Look at Panasonic and Olympus for example. They share the same mount but stabilization and weather sealing aren't compatible. Silly if you ask me, and it's going to end up biting them in the ass.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back