Sony A7R V AF w Shutter in custom settings on/off

rsz

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Hi Everyone,
Happy new owner of the 7RV.
Having upgraded from the RIV I decided this time I will try to understand every setting and how to truly make the most of it.
I made this time my own custom setting instead of copying Mark Galer's (kudos for all his work) and I have come across the next dilemma (for me):

I have my Custom setting 1 for Action, primarily birds in flight. I decided to use AF w Shutter for this mode followin Mark's view on it. Then I shoot almost everything in Landscape so I wanted for this mode to have back-button AF.
When I switch between the two custom settings, AF w Shutter will stay on or off as per global settings, not as per custom saved values.

The menu section lays whitin the customizable settings, but my research on the web and the forums here made me none the wiser:
In custom settings the AF w Shutter setting seems to be "global" rather than user-preference. The manual does not cover too much other than "this setting you can turn on or off"
Am I doing something wrong ?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I came across this question while preparing to post the same question for the A7RIV. It's disappointing to see that there were no responses, and also that the issue remains in the A7RV. The memory recall configuration you describe is a very natural choice, which makes it even more mysterious why Sony would exclude the "AF w/ shutter" setting from the memory recall banks. I was also unable to find any useful information in the manual or discussion of this strange limitation on the web.

Hi,

Have you tried setting the options you want to a custom key? This may do what you need, it stores more options than those available to a memory setting.

If you look under Registering shooting settings to a custom key (Reg. Custom Shoot Set) in the manual you will find details there.

Hope that helps.

Hi RSZ,
As per my understanding and use the AF W Shutter is not reprogrammable other than switching off the half press focus function
in favour of BBF..... and hence will retain the global setting unless you have.

You can programme the BBF with registered settings which will overide the main settings associated with the shutter action in favour
of whatever you have selected from the registered settings listing.

I shoot with AF w shutter and normally Zone tracking with my AF/BBF set to a different focus mode through a registered setting and my AEL
button set to another series of setting for non action/static subjects.

I do remember from Marc Galers blurb that that his PAL custom settings do require manual adjustment of a number of the critical dialled
settings dependant which PAL settings you use.

Dont know if this helps to resolve your problem.

Hi,

Have you tried setting the options you want to a custom key? This may do what you need, it stores more options than those available to a memory setting.

If you look under Registering shooting settings to a custom key (Reg. Custom Shoot Set) in the manual you will find details there.

Hope that helps.
sorry for the late replies, I kind of even forgot about my inquiry and it has been a while...
Anyway, it is a very ergonomically placed button, and while my SEL200600G has 3 custom buttons, and I expect most of my action photos to be carried out with it, I could try to have a go. However, my daily driver is my SEL24105G, which only has one. Thing is, for snapping a bird nearby will require swift change to my "Action preset" and muscle memory will take over. I am already poor at it, after a 25 yr long IT career, I still look at keys on the keyboard, haha. So having lens-dependent configurations will not work for me, but mb a piano player action photographer might find it a breeze...
Thanks anyway.

Hi RSZ,
As per my understanding and use the AF W Shutter is not reprogrammable other than switching off the half press focus function
in favour of BBF..... and hence will retain the global setting unless you have.

You can programme the BBF with registered settings which will overide the main settings associated with the shutter action in favour
of whatever you have selected from the registered settings listing.

I shoot with AF w shutter and normally Zone tracking with my AF/BBF set to a different focus mode through a registered setting and my AEL
button set to another series of setting for non action/static subjects.

I do remember from Marc Galers blurb that that his PAL custom settings do require manual adjustment of a number of the critical dialled
settings dependant which PAL settings you use.

Dont know if this helps to resolve your problem.
I watched Mark's videos about PAL, abd while very inspirational, it does not fix the issue for me as I prefer ergonomically to BBAF with that button, I would find it quite hard. Having replied to other similar suggestions, I may give a try to put BBAF on the lens custom button 1, and switch what I have there to the BBAF button. Thanks.

I came across this question while preparing to post the same question for the A7RIV. It's disappointing to see that there were no responses, and also that the issue remains in the A7RV. The memory recall configuration you describe is a very natural choice, which makes it even more mysterious why Sony would exclude the "AF w/ shutter" setting from the memory recall banks. I was also unable to find any useful information in the manual or discussion of this strange limitation on the web.
I guess not a lot of people see this as a problem.... Speaking of using the camera as intended, I recall seing a lady doing a tutorial on the tubes saying how she never touches the exposure compensation dial, just wrote it off.... triple face palm moment; makes me wonder how other people interact with the same world I am interacting with, and how our collective feedback is then perceived by any given manufacturer.

So I did a bit of fiddling around, the setting that I was trying to map (Settings, 22/57 - AF w Shutter) does not seem to be mappable to any body or lens buttons. It's not the end of the world, but would be nice to have it change behavior as per custom profiles.

It's really not clear why Sony would omit the "AF w/ shutter" setting from the custom setting banks, particularly considering how useful it is (it is configurable in Nikon custom setting banks, for example), and how many other less critical options are included. I expect that the custom key approach suggested above will work, but having to keep one button pressed to avoid the need to depress another is not a very useful substitute for a mode change via custom settings.

Back