Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
......love, love, love is all you need. Which do you prefer, I like the BW image, but it's probably easier to see the hearts in the colour image? Sony A7iv + Sony GM 70-200mm f2.8 OSS II.
love_hearts_bw-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 6400
love_hearts-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 6400

In this case I prefer the black & white image. If there is a way to darken the rocks only but keep the leaves their current density, it might help? Just my two cents.

I don't mind black and white images here and there, but I do tend to like full colour a lot more. Although it's not really my style, I do enjoy seeing other people's artistic creations though.

I agree with Fred here, if the black and white could have a bit more separation it would be fantastic. I think the colour one is lovely though. 🙂

In this case I prefer the black & white image. If there is a way to darken the rocks only but keep the leaves their current density, it might help? Just my two cents.
Thanks Fred, I'll give that a go. But I'm still learning how to use Lightroom and have hardly touched photoshop, so not quite sure how to just adjust the stones alone. Not quite sure how to mask the image to separate the leaves from teh stone, but I'll try that.

I don't mind black and white images here and there, but I do tend to like full colour a lot more. Although it's not really my style, I do enjoy seeing other people's artistic creations though.

I agree with Fred here, if the black and white could have a bit more separation it would be fantastic. I think the colour one is lovely though. 🙂
Thanks mate, I'll give that a go.

Thanks Fred, I'll give that a go. But I'm still learning how to use Lightroom and have hardly touched photoshop, so not quite sure how to just adjust the stones alone. Not quite sure how to mask the image to separate the leaves from teh stone, but I'll try that.
Use a burn brush on the stones.

Use a burn brush on the stones.
Thanks Tim, I've not come across the 'burn brush' so I assume that is not in Lightroom but in Photoshop? I'll look into that and see what I can do. Thanks again for the tip.

Thanks Tim, I've not come across the 'burn brush' so I assume that is not in Lightroom but in Photoshop? I'll look into that and see what I can do. Thanks again for the tip.
Do a search for Dodge and Burn. I don't use Adobe products, but they do exist there. They're fairly typical across the board as far as use goes. They let you selectively darken and lighten objects and are usually pretty user friendly.

There are a few different ways to do it. I don't use Lightroom or the full version of Photoshop, since I don't want to pay a monthly fee. I use Photoshop Elements, but the same could be done in Photoshop. This is how I would do it, but there are other ways (including one that has been mentioned). I would create a duplicate layer, which makes an exact copy of the image that sits on top of the main image. Then I would use the Levels tool and pull the left slider (blacks) to the right until the rocks are sufficiently dark. It will make everything else dark too but don't worry about that - just see how the rocks look. Then I would use the eraser tool to erase the top layer over the leaves, letting the original leaves (which are lighter) show through.

If you are using lightroom classic, select a brush mask (BW or Colour)in the upper right corner of the workspace and in setting the
flow,density,and feather to your liking, brush in the selection overlay(red usually) over the stones keeping the leaves free of the
brush mask overlay.

Once done, untick the overlay view selection and then change your exposure, highlights, contrast, shadows, dehaze etc
in the basic panel to your liking where you will see the stones chanage in sympathy with your slider movements.

Once you have achieved the look of the stones to the hue/saturation you like then save the file....QED

This can be reversed to change the leaves colours/hue saturation alternatively.

Good Luck......

Back