Taking the human for a walk in the park.

evacguy

Veteran Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
This pair looked just amazing, they stood out from some distance. Luckily, the GM 70-200mm had the reach. Which do you prefer? I think the hound looks better in colour, but the human in BW? I'm leaning towards the BW.
walking_the_human-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 194.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 1600
Sony A7iv + Sony GM 70-200mm f2.8 OSS II.
walking_the_human_BW_punch-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 194.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 1600

I like the B&W more for 2 reasons:
- I think this time of year (winter) has drab background colours, so the B&W takes them out of the equation.
- Similarly, the B&W mutes the colours of the child's clothing on the right side of the frame which would otherwise be bright enough to draw the eye away from the subject.

I like the B&W more for 2 reasons:
- I think this time of year (winter) has drab background colours, so the B&W takes them out of the equation.
- Similarly, the B&W mutes the colours of the child's clothing on the right side of the frame which would otherwise be bright enough to draw the eye away from the subject.
Thanks Chris, I appreciate your insight. I tend to agree, but couldn't quite articulate it as well as you have.

Cheers Ed!
You know what else would be fun editing? If the human and dog had been alone on that path, you could have either masked them and desaturated the background OR desaturated the entire scene except for the dog owner's yellow hat and gloves.

Nice candid shot

Personally, I just really am not a fan of B&W in general. It just screams out lazy to me when it's over used. For some weird reason it has this weird popular trend in street photography too which is fast becoming a pet hate of mine, it's like it hides the average photography skills or something...

I'd just rather see a better thought out shot with something imaginative done with colour instead of a straight lazy snap shot done in B&W. Example, my last Newtown thread, the bottom image was actually black and white on the wall, but the gutter had colours running all along it. It was as simple as angling the gutter from the corner of the image to put a colourful strip along the bottom...

C'mon Clint, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel...

C'mon Clint, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel...

Seriously but. There's the bloke on YouTube Three blind men and an elephant. I like his presentations, I just really like the way he talks but 90% of his street images are in B&W. So, I like the guy but I don't like his pictures... I look at most of them and think to myself that if it was in colour you could swear it was his first time out on the camera. He says 'making images', but I just think WTF mate, honestly it's like everyone's brains get tricked with the B&W images or something. Pretty much 'look mum, I'm being creative'...

Seriously but. There's the bloke on YouTube Three blind men and an elephant. I like his presentations, I just really like the way he talks but 90% of his street images are in B&W. So, I like the guy but I don't like his pictures... I look at most of them and think to myself that if it was in colour you could swear it was his first time out on the camera. He says 'making images', but I just think WTF mate, honestly it's like everyone's brains get tricked with the B&W images or something. Pretty much 'look mum, I'm being creative'...
While I can agree that B&W tends to get overused, it's unfair to paint it with too broad a brush. There are times it makes sense. There are also time sepia makes sense. I think B&W is used so much in street photography because when the masters were shooting it was the accepted norm.

I made this at an old car festival in a period correct location. It was of course in color. If you saw the original you'd never believe it. Coolers and lawn chairs, signs, etc. The old gentleman and his missus are dressed in period costume, but he was holding a cellphone. A little editing effort, some blurring, a little noise, vignette, and we're in 1930 or so.

In The Good Old Summertime by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

While I can agree that B&W tends to get overused, it's unfair to paint it with too broad a brush. There are times it makes sense. There are also time sepia makes sense. I think B&W is used so much in street photography because when the masters were shooting it was the accepted norm.

I made this at an old car festival in a period correct location. It was of course in color. If you saw the original you'd never believe it. Coolers and lawn chairs, signs, etc. The old gentleman and his missus are dressed in period costume, but he was holding a cellphone. A little editing effort, some blurring, a little noise, vignette, and we're in 1930 or so.

I'm hearing you brother. There's a time and place for everything for sure and it definitely suits some images better, even the occasional one of mine.

I guess it's just the whole defaulting to B&W in order to make an image acceptable is the problem I think. I can't stand blown out skies for example, and I think B&W is used often to hide this...

I reckon Chris nailed it with the yellow aspect idea. That is definitely a creative avenue in this circumstance. ✅

Personally, I just really am not a fan of B&W in general. It just screams out lazy to me when it's over used. For some weird reason it has this weird popular trend in street photography too which is fast becoming a pet hate of mine, it's like it hides the average photography skills or something...

I'd just rather see a better thought out shot with something imaginative done with colour instead of a straight lazy snap shot done in B&W. Example, my last Newtown thread, the bottom image was actually black and white on the wall, but the gutter had colours running all along it. It was as simple as angling the gutter from the corner of the image to put a colourful strip along the bottom...
Clint, to a certain extent I agree that BW has its place, just as colour has its place, but to my eye, some images and scenes just look better in BW while others look better in colour. After all, photography is not simply about making a factual record, there is also art and interpretation involved and wanting to convey a particular feel. When I'm not sure about what works better, I like to hear what others think and what they suggest to improve an image. I don't think you can be so black and white about it - pun intended. And I don't think I've ever heard anyone suggest that Ansel Adams was lazy or he was hiding average photography skills.

Ed,
For this caption

Taking the human for a walk in the park​

I like it in colour because the hound really stands out.
I might desaturate the vivid colours in the background (little kid, man's blue jacket, blue sneaker hung over the shoulder).

This pair looked just amazing, they stood out from some distance. Luckily, the GM 70-200mm had the reach. Which do you prefer? I think the hound looks better in colour, but the human in BW? I'm leaning towards the BW. View attachment 30986Sony A7iv + Sony GM 70-200mm f2.8 OSS II.View attachment 30985

Ed,
For this caption

Taking the human for a walk in the park​

I like it in colour because the hound really stands out.
I might desaturate the vivid colours in the background (little kid, man's blue jacket, blue sneaker hung over the shoulder).
Thanks ST, I'll try that.

I'm hearing you brother. There's a time and place for everything for sure and it definitely suits some images better, even the occasional one of mine.

I guess it's just the whole defaulting to B&W in order to make an image acceptable is the problem I think. I can't stand blown out skies for example, and I think B&W is used often to hide this...

I reckon Chris nailed it with the yellow aspect idea. That is definitely a creative avenue in this circumstance. ✅
It's called selective color, and it is the exact same recommendation I made for your red boat shot.

.... you also need to sort out the US flag. The Old Glory from the 1930s (1912 - 1959) had 48 stars and they were arranged in regular columns. The flag on the vehicle looks like it has a staggered arrangement of stars, with a star in the top right corner, so definitely from at least 1960 with 50 stars. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Clint, to a certain extent I agree that BW has its place, just as colour has its place, but to my eye, some images and scenes just look better in BW while others look better in colour. After all, photography is not simply about making a factual record, there is also art and interpretation involved and wanting to convey a particular feel. When I'm not sure about what works better, I like to hear what others think and what they suggest to improve an image. I don't think you can be so black and white about it - pun intended. And I don't think I've ever heard anyone suggest that Ansel Adams was lazy or he was hiding average photography skills.

Should probably explain myself a little better. I've gotten carried away ranting about my views on B&W in general and not meaning it to be at you Ed. I respect that you've simply put up two images and asked for people's opinions, that was all.

My direct personality reflects perfectly to my photography style, I've actually meant to be artistic with certain things but I always resort back to my default when it comes down to it.

I think the ultimate strength in most things in life is having the ability to be versatile and being able to do multiple things very well, so I'd regard a great photographers portfolio to have bits of everything in there, not just be like me and only have colourful stuff, just the same as not having B&W stuff only as well.

.... you also need to sort out the US flag. The Old Glory from the 1930s (1912 - 1959) had 48 stars and they were arranged in regular columns. The flag on the vehicle looks like it has a staggered arrangement of stars, with a star in the top right corner, so definetly from at least 1960 with 50 stars. Just sayin'.
Yeah, I wasn't all that worried about it, Ansel.

Should probably explain myself a little better. I've gotten carried away ranting about my views on B&W in general and not meaning it to be at you Ed. I respect that you've simply put up two images and asked for people's opinions, that was all.

My direct personality reflects perfectly to my photography style, I've actually meant to be artistic with certain things but I always resort back to my default when it comes down to it.

I think the ultimate strength in most things in life is having the ability to be versatile and being able to do multiple things very well, so I'd regard a great photographers portfolio to have bits of everything in there, not just be like me and only have colourful stuff, just the same as not having B&W stuff only as well.
Not a problem, no offence taken, I didn't take your comment to be directed at me, but I'm not sure I necessarily agree with your proposition that a great photographer needs bits of everything. Back to Ansel Adams, probably one of the best photographers of the mid 20th centary. But his portfolio was entirely BW - apart from the purely commercial works he did to earn a crust (and so catering to the tastes of his clients). What I love about BW photography is that, when used appropriately, it can remove distracting colour and helps focus the attention of the observer on key aspects of the image that the photographer wishes to emphasise like textures, shapes, patterns, the subject and composition. I think we can agree that mastering the art and technique of colour and BW photography is definitely an admirable goal.

Yeah, I wasn't all that worried about it, Ansel.

Not a problem, no offence taken, I didn't take your comment to be directed at me, but I'm not sure I necessarily agree with your proposition that a great photographer needs bits of everything. Back to Ansel Adams, probably one of the best photographers of the mid 20th centary. But his portfolio was entirely BW - apart from the purely commercial works he did to earn a crust (and so catering to the tastes of his clients). What I love about BW photography is that, when used appropriately, it can remove distracting colour and helps focus the attention of the observer on key aspects of the image that the photographer wishes to emphasise like textures, shapes, patterns, the subject and composition. I think we can agree that mastering the art and technique of colour and BW photography is definitely an admirable goal.

I forget which brand he was using but I remember he was a huge mirrorless fan..! 😄

I'd never do ballet but I admire anyone who can do it well. I admire anyone who is a master at their physical craft. I'll open my mouth about certain things I don't really align with personally, but anyone who is out there putting effort into something ultimately has my praise at the end of the day. Literally anything is better than laying around rotting away playing video games or watching the television programming. 🙂

"So I've kept the hound and the human in colour, but everything else in BW."
Oh, I've got to learn how to do that. Although looking at this, it feels a little extreme. Do you have a way to reduce the BW effect so the colours are there, but muted?

"So I've kept the hound and the human in colour, but everything else in BW."
Oh, I've got to learn how to do that. Although looking at this, it feels a little extreme. Do you have a way to reduce the BW effect so the colours are there, but muted?
Yes, you can do that. I pushed the saturation of the background right down as low as it will go so it is BW. If you ease up on this, you gradually get more colour back in the background. But this is the effect I wanted, I kinda like it. It would be ideal if I could turn the human into BW except for her hat, gloves and pocket turn up. I tried that but made a mess of her face so stayed with her all being in colour as the hound.

Yes, you can do that. I pushed the saturation of the background right down as low as it will go so it is BW. If you ease up on this, you gradually get more colour back in the background. But this is the effect I wanted, I kinda like it. It would be ideal if I could turn the human into BW except for her hat, gloves and pocket turn up. I tried that but made a mess of her face so stayed with her all being in colour as the hound.
You could do it with layers or with a selective color module if your software has one.

Mate, I think it looks pretty cool now. It's certainly a great image for you to try these different effects and styles with.

So I've kept the hound and the human in colour, but everything else in BW. View attachment 31019
Last two options (promise), only hound in colour and hound are parts of human in colour. Also slightly tighter crop.
walking_the_human-5.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 194.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 1600
walking_the_human-7.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 194.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 1600

NOW you're on it! I like 'em both, but the bottom one is a standout.
Thanks Tim, that is also now my favourite, its what I wanted to do all along but didn't know how to use LR to get to this. I still like the BW, but the image with the coloured dog is my favourite.

Since we're all having fun with your photo, want to try something else? Crop it to a 3:2 ratio, portrait. Leave it full height, place the dog directly on the left ROT line. I just did it on my computer, looks cool. It removes all of the distracting clutter behind and really makes you focus on the dog.

Dear Ed,
When I saw the photo with the hound, hat and mittens in colour, I giggled. It was so mirthfully playful. Having shared that, I think the last one (coloured hound in a Black & White world) is the best.

Since we're all having fun with your photo, want to try something else? Crop it to a 3:2 ratio, portrait. Leave it full height, place the dog directly on the left ROT line. I just did it on my computer, looks cool. It removes all of the distracting clutter behind and really makes you focus on the dog.
Thanks Tim, I'll try that.

Back