Any Advice on This Image?

russellsnr

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Russell Webb (snr)
Hi, I have just moved across from Lightroom 6 perpetual as it is to old to read Sony A7 IV Raw files (yes I no they can be converted to DNG but with Affinity Photo don't need to convert) so would appreciate some constructive critic on this image please. Thankyou, Russ.
Dunnock.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 10000

I like it very much; the bird is super-sharp and beautifully exposed. I have slight reservations about the composition in that the bright, end of the broken branch to the left keeps distracting me from the bird, and for me there is too much dead space on the left of the picture, even if that darned branch didn't keep drawing my gaze. What about a square crop to get the bird to more fully fit the frame?

What XPC313e has said about the little chopped of branch being a little bright is the thing that does stand out the most as to this shot.
Darken that down a little and you have got a shot that in my mind could well be a wall hanger.
I on the other hand don't mind the the space on the left as I think this is all down to the one taking the shot.
I have seen some cropped in tight and it looks good and to the opposite way as well.
So remember to shoot the way you like to shoot as it needs to make you happy first off before anyone.
The only exception to this is if you are being paid to get the shots then you work to what they like.

I like the shot. As has been said darken the end of the branch and maybe the top left corner as well so the eye is attracted to the bird.

Back