Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
I had totally forgotten my A7RIII will do Auto HDR and Pixel Shift using IE software. I used to play with HDR in my Pannys every once in a while, would produce some excellent images. Going to mess around a bit.

Want to try pixel shift too but will probably wait until the weather warms enough that I want to screw with a tripod.

I know the a6400 can also do a 3 photo burst with +&- exp comp for merging into HDR later, but I haven't tried it. What scenes work well with HDR? or is it a trend that is no longer popular?

I know the a6400 can also do a 3 photo burst with +&- exp comp for merging into HDR later, but I haven't tried it. What scenes work well with HDR? or is it a trend that is no longer popular?
It's hugely popular, this place just seems to live in a time warp. I know landscape guys who only shoot in HDR.

Think about a scene where you have a lot of shadows and highlights. A good example would be a landscape where there's dark undergrowth and a bright sky. The Camera takes the 3 shots (you can set the +/- up to 6 stops, which would be -3, 0, and +3). Then the camera stacks those keeping the shadows from the overexposure, the bright sky from the underexposure, and the even exposure handles the rest. It can be really useful for city architecture where the tops of the buildings are in the sun and the bottoms shadowed.

I don't know if Sony's Auto HDR accounts for handheld movement, I plan to test. The best way is off a tripod and not have anything moving like when using pixel shift. Wind moving leaves and flags, people etc. will show up as blurs unless the camera compensates. I had moderate success doing handheld with my Panasonic.

This is only jpeg BTW, the in-camera processing and blending of the three images means jpeg only. If you're bound and determined to shoot HDR in RAW you can use a computer to combine the images. I've done both, the in-camera can be fun.

This is an in-camera handheld from the G9. Note how even the tones are. It was grey overcast sky so no detail, but it's not blown out. The even light in the pathway all the way to the back is cool. There's one dark area to the right that could be a little lighter, I may not have had the exposure compensations set high enough. Then again you don't want it to look unnatural.

P1061477 by telecast, on Flickr

I am curious to try it now. I'll try it out next time I go for a photo-walk with tripod.

I am curious to try it now. I'll try it out next time I go for a photo-walk with tripod.
I just went on an internet adventure and found this official Sony video tutorial. He does it handheld and tripod. Point your camera out the door and give it a try!

Worth a watch, he shows Auto HDR and results from computer stacking RAW. Spectacular results. He's using a DXO program, but most software will do this.

I done the pixel shift once. Kind of made me picture the people that are born with an extra limb or something, depending where it is it could be either like a super power or it could be a massive hindrance. I referred the pixel shift to the latter, in regards to the shooting I do anyway.

I'd imagine someone like Keithy would benefit big time from it though. 🌞

FORUM POLICE! FORUM POLICE!

3283f2d31b64fa9333113063bdaf6cd7.jpg

I done the pixel shift once. Kind of made me picture the people that are born with an extra limb or something, depending where it is it could be either like a super power or it could be a massive hindrance. I referred the pixel shift to the latter, in regards to the shooting I do anyway.

I'd imagine someone like Keithy would benefit big time from it though. 🌞
Unlike HDR, Pixel shift varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Panasonic's version is a 20MP sensor with four images that result in an 80MP image. Olympus' 20MP sensor somehow ends up with 60MP or so. Pentax and Sony both have their 4 images merge into a single image of about the same size as a single image. So, the A7RIII ends up around 42MP, but with improved color and tonal range.

Supposedly. I have yet to try it out.

I remember messing with a bunch of 80MP images from the Panny was brutal, but the results were fantastic. Not something I used much, to be honest. I am more likely to use HDR.

So to bring this back to one of the subjects. These might be 2 of my best results at pixel shift. Generally I use this as quick intervalometer and rarely try the stitching.
This 4 image one still has some boxiness in that bright rock top center left but overall far better than I expected or get most of the time.
4 images00001 (1).JPG
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
  • 49.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 30 sec
  • ISO 100

This 16 image one (shrunk by 50% in post post) has some boxiness in the top center but again better than expected.
16 images00001 shrunk.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 49.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 6 sec
  • ISO 100

I just went on an internet adventure and found this official Sony video tutorial. He does it handheld and tripod. Point your camera out the door and give it a try!

Worth a watch, he shows Auto HDR and results from computer stacking RAW. Spectacular results. He's using a DXO program, but most software will do this.

Yet another public information service from Tim and yes of some interest (y)

Back