Followers
Following
Name
Bob
Country
United States
City/State
So Cal
Today I finally got around to seriously clean the cameras I have in my display collection, something I should have done awhile back. Anyway the AF point discussion got me thinking about trying out these old cameras to bring back memories of what is was like before today's digital marvels showed up. Just playing with what I would call these modern era film cameras; a Nikon F, Nikon F2, Nikon F3 and Nikon F4, I had sort of forgotten how unergonomic they were, how big and heavy in the hand, even more so with motor drives. In fact back then the average amateur photographer did not have any motordrives, especially with the F or F2. It was not until the winder option came for the F3 did you start to see anybody in the amateur world with a motor. And then if you had the F3 or F4 with a motor the weight was a lot. I threw in some batteries in my F4 and it is heavy, I do not know how i used to carry two or three of them and shoot. The AF on that F4 still works but nothing like today's cameras. So what I mean by us being spoiled, is with every new camera that comes out so may complain and bitch about what features are missing or the lack of firmware, instead of just being in awe of what they can do. How soon we forget that with film no matter how many frames a second the motor could do, you still had to load the film on a take up spool, advance it up to the first frame. If you just held your finger down 36 frames later you were down except for the time it took to rewind that roll. No eye focus, no 300 plus focus spots, no auto bracket, no real high ISO,etc, and being huge in the hands. The best thing about those cameras is they still work flawlessly today, built like a tank.
Also played with some of my very old Leicas and Nikon rangfinders and I do not know anybody could focus those cameras very quickly, but they did.

Last edited:
Very true! I almost gave up when my eyes started to age. Split screen manual focus didn't deliver the goods like today's cameras can. The money I wasted on film was ridiculous.

Well, you're just no damned fun at all, party pooper! :p

Bob I am with you on all the points made, and it is easy for us to bitch about the digital cameras, which is why I am sometimes get sick of people stating they have issues with the mirrorless marvel they have in hand, I was looking through some old shots and the a7iii and I still have, is knocked by many but it was and is still a very forgiving capable camera

As I've said before, I feel very blessed to come into photography at the time I have. Starting out with any A6400 then an A7III, I've only ever known to set my camera settings then take a photo without any other concern. Same as lenses, I don't even know what it's really like to have severe weaknesses in certain parts of the focal or aperture range in a lens. I've only known that the camera will do whatever I ask it to... 🌞

I agree with your opinion that we are exceptionally fortunate to live in such times. Modern cameras are incredible, but they complicated beasts if one is to get the best from them. The other side of that coin is our ability to post on a forum and usually within a very short time receive knowledge about how to conquer our issues. The internet is a huge blessing and immensely valuable to my photography.

Back