Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Santa was good to me this Christmas, and rigged it so I could win a Microsoft Surface Pro 8 in a raffle!
With an Intel i7 CPU and 16gb ram, this is actually the best PC I have right now. I have installed ON1 2023 and Capture One Express, and hope to make this my primary editing computer. I notice the icons are really not optimized for touch interface, I definitely need a wireless mouse. Or a stylus? Never used one before. Also need to get a dock to make the most of the USB-C connections on the tablet.

Does anyone else edit on a tablet? what is your workflow like? and what software and peripherals work best for you?

Santa was good to me this Christmas, and rigged it so I could win a Microsoft Surface Pro 8 in a raffle!
With an Intel i7 CPU and 16gb ram, this is actually the best PC I have right now. I have installed ON1 2023 and Capture One Express, and hope to make this my primary editing computer. I notice the icons are really not optimized for touch interface, I definitely need a wireless mouse. Or a stylus? Never used one before. Also need to get a dock to make the most of the USB-C connections on the tablet.

Does anyone else edit on a tablet? what is your workflow like? and what software and peripherals work best for you?
Hi Chris..
I actually do a number of edits on my iPad Pro 12.9 with M1 chip… I ultimately use Lightroom mobile .
I do some editing on my Mac Mini M1 and then finish off on my iPad if I think it’s needed..
There’s just something about being able to sit on the couch and do editing..

I use my iPad Pro 11" with Lightroom Mobile, really convenient. I always try to get it right in camera, so my edits are pretty simple (crop, contrast, ...) but it's a pretty capable setup and when I go home all the photos are on my laptop. Actually, I also edit on my iPhone too before posting on Instagram for example.

@mapleleaf56 @charlyee @Alain thanks for the input! do you use the stylus that Apple sells separately for the ipad? Microsoft has something similar, so I am weighing whether to buy it or not. Also, I assume that Lightroom mobile is probably optimized for a touch interface, ie: bigger buttons, less tools visible on screen right?

Hey Chris
There are 2 versions of Lightroom mobile one is specifically for IPad and one is laptop..
The iPad version is excellent..
i sometimes use the Apple Pencil but it’s not really necessary..

@mapleleaf56 @charlyee @Alain thanks for the input! do you use the stylus that Apple sells separately for the ipad? Microsoft has something similar, so I am weighing whether to buy it or not. Also, I assume that Lightroom mobile is probably optimized for a touch interface, ie: bigger buttons, less tools visible on screen right?
I can do it with my fingers (I actually do on the iPhone, but the Apple Pencil is really convenient for somebody lazy like me, I find it minimizes the hand movements (by holding the pencil around the middle, not the bottom like if I was writing), and it allows to see more clearly the sliders when I'm changing things like exposure/contrast/etc. I guess it's a detail, fingers work well, that's how I started.

Well, Capture One Express just locked up my tablet, but I was importing 1300 photos, so maybe not the program's fault. User error?
I have also purchased the keyboard/cover combo with stylus.

In case anyone was curious, I have been successful in using Capture One Express 2023 and ON1 2023 on my Microsoft tablet now. The key was the stylus, which I got in combination with the keyboard-cover. Without the stylus, I was fat-fingering all the editor sliders and I had no way to do a "right-mouse-click" or "hover" cursor for certain Windows navigation tools. The stylus (or a mouse, or touchpad) really completes the navigation tools for this windows-based tablet.

The only thing that could have improved the tablet design would be an integrated SD card reader, but that's just nit-picking now...

EDIT - Ooops - I didn't notice that you got the keyboard cover and pen a few days ago - congratulations!

Original post
I've been using Microsoft Surface machines for years. My main computer is a Surface Studio 2+ and I'm running Capture One 23 on it. I also have various versions of the Surface Pro, and I really like these. They all support the Surface Pen and this is a standout, distinguishing feature of this family of hardware.

I'd encourage you to get a Surface Pen instead of a wireless mouse. This is pressure sensitive (think airbrush effects). Capture One 23 supports the pressure sensitivity. I'm not sure if Capture One Express supports airbrush in the brush effects in the same way, but if it does, this is something you can't get with a mouse. Also, it's great to use the "eraser" end of the pen to clean up the brush effects.

EDIT - Ooops - I didn't notice that you got the keyboard cover and pen a few days ago - congratulations!

Original post
I've been using Microsoft Surface machines for years. My main computer is a Surface Studio 2+ and I'm running Capture One 23 on it. I also have various versions of the Surface Pro, and I really like these. They all support the Surface Pen and this is a standout, distinguishing feature of this family of hardware.

I'd encourage you to get a Surface Pen instead of a wireless mouse. This is pressure sensitive (think airbrush effects). Capture One 23 supports the pressure sensitivity. I'm not sure if Capture One Express supports airbrush in the brush effects in the same way, but if it does, this is something you can't get with a mouse. Also, it's great to use the "eraser" end of the pen to clean up the brush effects.
Hey ST, yes the stylus made a world of difference. I just need to fine-tune my review & culling workflow, but I will start a new thread for that.

Small update: I had ON1 2023 crash a few times on me during my latest editing session. I was using NoNoise AI on just about every picture, so probably the processor was running a bit hot and I had the tablet flat on a desk. I think these devices could be susceptible to overheating if used like this since there is no airflow for the device's passive cooling.

[EDIT] I processed 42 images, 40 of which with NoNoise AI rendering, and I had no less than 6 crashes. Either ON1 lied about their spec requirements or the tablet simply gets too hot for this kind of editing.

Last edited:
Back