Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, CA
Has anyone tried to process your ARW files from your A7 IV through the Adobe DNG Converter?

When there is a new release of a camera body, very often it isn't possible to convert from RAW to JPG right away, as it takes the software manufacturers a little time to develop the right "formula" for that. It can take anywhere from a week or two to a month or two for some software to be ready to handle the conversion. I usually just shoot in JPG until I hear that one of my programs has made the change. Last couple of times I've bought a new camera, though, I didn't have to worry, since I bought it months after its release and by the time I did everybody had their conversion programs in place.

Has anyone tried to process your ARW files from your A7 IV through the Adobe DNG Converter?
I didnt bother to try because CaptureOne 22 release is just 3 days away, but I could try just for you. Any specifics you want me to focus on ? Not sure too if my CaptureOne 21 would ingest those DNGs.
I always avoided going through the DNGs for several reasons:
- it’s one more step in the workflow
- I suppose the DNG converter wants uncompressed ARWs as input and I prefer to shoot lossless compressed.
- I gave up archiving ARWs/DNGs: too much storage, would only re-edit 1% of the keepers anyway and only if/after a new release of CaptureOne offers some new feature that allows me to do something I could not do before. I rather keep printable full-res TIFFs of my portfolio shots and do the improbable re-edits on those.
- CaptureOne has some per-camera model fine-tuned initial (on ingesting) processing applied that goes to waste (not applied) on DNG imports. This feature has been one of the differentiators of C1 vs other RAW processors, RawTherapy for instance (my first RAW processor) was particularly bad at doing this initial on-ingestion processing, offering a rather bland first version of the images, requiring a lot more hand tuning than C1 does.

Last edited:
I didnt bother to try because CaptureOne 22 release is just 3 days away, but I could try just for you. Any specifics you want me to focus on ? Not sure too if my CaptureOne 21 would ingest those DNGs.
I always avoided going through the DNGs for several reasons:
- I suppose the DNG converter wants uncompressed ARWs as input
- I gave up archiving ARWs/DNGs: too much storage, would only re-edit 1% of the keepers anyway and only if/after a new release of CaptureOne offers some new feature that allows me to do something I could not do before. I rather keep printable TIFFs of my portfolio shots.
- CaptureOne has some per-camera model fine-tuned initial (on ingesting) processing applied that goes to waste (not applied) on DNG imports. This feature has been one of the differentiators of C1 vs other RAW processors, RawTherapy for instance (my first RAW processor) was particularly bad at doing this initial on-ingestion processing, offering a rather bland first version of the images, requiring a lot more hand tuning than C1 does.
I don't have my A7 IV yet or I would have tried it my self. I frankly don't think that the converter is up to the task yet or Mark Galer would have tried it but I have not asked him.

I don't have my A7 IV yet or I would have tried it my self. I frankly don't think that the converter is up to the task yet or Mark Galer would have tried it but I have not asked him.
I expect support from Adobe will be available within the next few weeks, they don't normally take too long to add popular new cameras. You can also use Sony's Imaging Edge desktop app today already.

OK, yesterday I asked Mark Galer his opinion on how long it was going to take Adobe to update their programs to be compatible with the A7M4 RAW files. In as much as he was an Adobe Ambassador for 14 years, I would think he would probably have a good guess. His response of a few minutes ago was as follows, "I would expect Lightroom to support the Raw files from the new A7IV with the very next update. So hopefully not more than a week or two."
So since I don't have my camera yet, that works just fine. :ROFLMAO:

CaptureOne 22 already supports M4 ARWs. You can have a fully functional free 30 days trial. It can export TIFFs in 8 and 16 bits.

CaptureOne 22 already supports M4 ARWs. You can have a fully functional free 30 days trial. It can export TIFFs in 8 and 16 bits.
I'll wait for Adobe. Easy Peasy since I don't have an M4 yet.

Adobe has now added raw support for the a7 IV. The following minimum versions are required:

• Adobe Camera Raw: v14.1 or higher
  • Lightroom CC: v5.1 or higher
  • Lightroom Classic: v11.1 or higher

Adobe has now added raw support for the a7 IV. The following minimum versions are required:

• Adobe Camera Raw: v14.1 or higher
  • Lightroom CC: v5.1 or higher
  • Lightroom Classic: v11.1 or higher

Thank you, Boss!

Back