Name
Gary Finn
Country
Australia
City/State
Coogee Beach
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Lately I’ve been balking at the crop decisions.

My camera is FF therefore aspect ratio 3:2 - like 35mm film.

Unless it was colour positive film, I always cropped film images for printing.

I can also select in camera 4:3, 16:9, 1:1 but each of these cause the image to be cropped reducing the effective sensor coverage, so I don’t use them, just in case I need that edge in composition later. I think that’s rational. Is it though?

Then I’m faced with an image post production that I crop, knowing I can recover it if I ever wish to.

I look at all the size options and shrug.

Lately I’ve defaulted to 5:7. No reasoning or logic applied. Just like going to the Kodak store and I’ll be back in a week to pick those up. Occasionally I choose 16:9 for 4k monitor and web. Rarely square for instagram since it lets us post portrait now.

What do you generally choose in terms of format?

Original ratio unless I'm cropping for a specific photo print size, or for some other reason.

Wait, I could have sworn that when you select an aspect ratio other than 3x2, only the jpeg or preview of the raw is in that aspect ratio. I seem to remember being surprised that i could change the crop back to original 3x2 in Adobe Raw. Am I mistaken?

Wait, I could have sworn that when you select an aspect ratio other than 3x2, only the jpeg or preview of the raw is in that aspect ratio. I seem to remember being surprised that i could change the crop back to original 3x2 in Adobe Raw. Am I mistaken?
I never thought of that. I’ll have to test it. In camera the aspect changes in the viewfinder, so I assumed it just turns that part off. I have t tested it, so I’ve been relying on my pentax experience. It actually has an external button for switching to 16:9…. Gotta love 2009 tech.

Back