Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Since I have got the 150/600mm lens on my a7iii I have noticed mainly when I am looking up the Manual Made will come on.
I know it is not big issue as I have Custom 1 Button set to swap between both so I just push that and it will go back to auto focus.
But it will come back on maybe a few times while I an looking up with the camera.
I have not noticed this when I am pointing straight.
Is there a fix for this or is this down to the new bigger lens as I don't know.
Thanks to all.

What do you mean by "Manual Made"?

Manual Focus? Manual mode for aperture and shutter speed?

I am not aware of any of the 150-600mm Sigma lenses acting like that,

Are you supporting the lens with your left hand or a tripod? I would advise very strongly against trying to support a long lens like that using the mount alone. If you were doing that, maybe one or more of the lens contacts is losing contact?

It is meant to be Manual Mode.
And yes the lens is supported and this is why I don't understand what is going on.

What do you mean by "Manual Made"?

Manual Focus? Manual mode for aperture and shutter speed?

I am not aware of any of the 150-600mm Sigma lenses acting like that,

Are you supporting the lens with your left hand or a tripod? I would advise very strongly against trying to support a long lens like that using the mount alone. If you were doing that, maybe one or more of the lens contacts is losing contact?

Personally, I'd love to see someone taking photos with a 600mm whilst holding the camera only. That's gold medal worthy for sure! 🏆

It sounds like as you move the lens up it's losing touch with the contacts on the camera body. This can happen as the mounts wear, but is more likely to be a bit of dirt on the contacts. I would start by cleaning them with a bit of alcohol (nail varnish remover) on a cotton bud.

It sounds like as you move the lens up it's losing touch with the contacts on the camera body. This can happen as the mounts wear, but is more likely to be a bit of dirt on the contacts. I would start by cleaning them with a bit of alcohol (nail varnish remover) on a cotton bud.
That has been done and up to now I have been unable to do a full test on it as we are moving.
But Clint did mention this a while back for what ever it was at the time. So a full update will be able a week away.

I think I have worked out the issue here. As with the new lens they come with camera strap holders on the lens itself and I have my camera so it is set up on my camera bag as it helps me with my back and believe it or not this does work for me anyway.
The way this is set up the right hand strap comes in slight contact with a button or two or it is me and I go to take a shot I am pushing the strap the wrong way.
So I made up a strap to go from the bottom of the camera to the clamp. On the phone photo you will see the clamp thing and this is where the clamp from my camera bag goes so and pulls it all level with the camera and since I have done this things have improved a lot.
Camera Strap.jpg

I think I have worked out the issue here. As with the new lens they come with camera strap holders on the lens itself and I have my camera so it is set up on my camera bag as it helps me with my back and believe it or not this does work for me anyway.
The way this is set up the right hand strap comes in slight contact with a button or two or it is me and I go to take a shot I am pushing the strap the wrong way.
So I made up a strap to go from the bottom of the camera to the clamp. On the phone photo you will see the clamp thing and this is where the clamp from my camera bag goes so and pulls it all level with the camera and since I have done this things have improved a lot.
View attachment 50063

Clever diagnosis of a perplexing problem. Glad to hear you solved it.

Back