Autofocus/manual focus issue on Sony cameras

lodbrok

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Yust bought the A7IV and noticed this guy's warning from Sony's support. I've used to have my C2 button to toggle between auto and manual focus. Even when the lense is set to auto-focus it works when I toggle to manual.It can harm the focusing gear.. Anybody else using this mode? Now I have change the C2 to toggle between human- animal and bird eye focus.
See the link from where he start talking about this issue.

I have come across the issues of toggling between manual and autofocus in the way you suggest
in the past and yes it is not recommended and is easy to create internal conflicts with the number
of ways you can select manual/auto focus between lenses and camera

I use my C1 and C2 buttons on the A1 for toggling Focus area and FF/ASC modes ....... for toggling between
animal, bird focus etc i have programmed this into the Fn function display/selector as I do not use this as
frequently and is easy changed whilst composing through the viewfinder should the need arise.

I have come across the issues of toggling between manual and autofocus in the way you suggest
in the past and yes it is not recommended and is easy to create internal conflicts with the number

I use my C1 and C2 buttons on the A1 for toggling Focus area and FF/ASC modes ....... for toggling between
animal, bird focus etc i have programmed this into the Fn function display/selector as I do not use this as
frequently and is easy changed whilst composing through the viewfinder should the need arise.
I will only toggle on the lense from now on. Glad I saw this video about this. Also noticed phase detection auto focus was set to of by default from factory. Probarly because most people shoot in good light where contrast detection is more than enough?
Hope there will be a day soon without rain so I can test the bird-eye on my gardenbirds.

Yust bought the A7IV and noticed this guy's warning from Sony's support. I've used to have my C2 button to toggle between auto and manual focus. Even when the lense is set to auto-focus it works when I toggle to manual.It can harm the focusing gear.. Anybody else using this mode? Now I have change the C2 to toggle between human- animal and bird eye focus.
See the link from where he start talking about this issue.

I also noticed same. It was a third party doing a he said, she said “quote”, so I gave it no notice. Flick to manual focus. It’s not “really” force moving things around when you twist the focus ring. It’s focus by wire.

Internet. So reliable.

Yeah I thinking the same changing the bird human animal eye on C2 to one FN button since I always tend to check if It's on bird.. And relai on the bird-eye focus when the bird is in between branches.Or change to manuell on the lense.

Another thing I change was the monitor set to of in the disp button. I never use histogram shooting birds so now I only toggle once. On or of. And I noticed a huge difference in battery-drain.

if its of value Lodbrok you can set your C4 "delete/trash" button to face/eye subject select in shooting mode
and in this way you can more easily switch between the eye focus options during shooting with your
eye on the viewfinder...this is an alternative to having it in the Fn menu.

if its of value Lodbrok you can set your C4 "delete/trash" button to face/eye subject select in shooting mode
and in this way you can more easily switch between the eye focus options during shooting with your
eye on the viewfinder...this is an alternative to having it in the Fn menu.
Thanks for the tip Deleted Member 5003 but it is the knowing of, it is in the internal FN meny ~ rather than outside on one of the C1-4 buttons i could exidently hit without knowing it. I probarly nail the few animals I see in my path. My C4 is set to toggle between mecanichle and silenth shooting.

That's fine Lodbrok, each to his own. The suggestion was primarily based upon the
idea that sometimes when shooting birds, whilst bird eye focus might not work
on some species, I find animal focus will work(and vice versa), and as the sony
focusing system develops to other focus genres the importance of faster switching
between the genres will, and is, on the higher camera specs, of greater importance.

That's fine Lodbrok, each to his own. The suggestion was primarily based upon the
idea that sometimes when shooting birds, whilst bird eye focus might not work
on some species, I find animal focus will work(and vice versa), and as the sony
focusing system develops to other focus genres the importance of faster switching
between the genres will, and is, on the higher camera specs, of greater importance.
Haven't thought of that.. Maybee stick with the C2 setup a little further and test it more out. :unsure: :)

Back