Birds Blue Gray Gnatcatcher and a question for Sony shooters below…

artsnimages

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Jim Flowers
Country
United States
City/State
Hanover/Pennsylvania
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Ya Got’s a Gnat for Grumpy Gus?

Blue Gray Gnatcatcher
and a question for Sony shooters below…

Decided to get away from processing Texas images and away from the house for a few minutes late evening right along the Mason Dixon Line 5 minutes from home...

Now for the serious stuff… I’m shooting the new Sony A7r5 and the newest Sigma 150-600 Sports with the native Sony e mount and the auto-focus has performed flawlessly for 90% of my subjects, flight static, etc., until I try to get focus on my small songbirds and warblers, especially in any type of nearby cover. I’ve tried various methods and settings and I normally use the “small spot” with the smaller birds. All I see is a “blob” of OOF birdy most of the time. It’s really getting quite frustrating, And I am missing far more captures than I get. I even had a scissor-tailed flycatcher sitting on barbed wire in the open and it wouldn’t focus on that either until I panned over to a fence post focused on that and then returned to the bird. It’s the same with the birds in the thick of things as I have to find a branch to focus on and then return to the bird, but most of the time the bird is already gone by the time I find it again. This camera has the new AI chip dedicated to certain subjects like human , bird, etc. and it’s set for bird…. “Duh”

I have read that this is an issue with many mirrorless cameras with “on-sensor” focusing. So how do you guys work around this? Meanwhile my vocabulary of profanity has expanded tenfold. This was NEVER an issue with mt Canon DSLR’s whatsoever…

Attachments

• Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2301.jpg
    Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2301.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2302.jpg
    Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2302.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2303.jpg
    Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2303.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2304.jpg
    Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2304.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2305.jpg
    Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2305.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2306.jpg
    Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2306.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 37
Love the gnatcatcher.

Can't really answer your question other than I get the same with the alpha 1 and sony 200 - 600.

If you wish to expand on your profane vocabulary, check out Roger's profanisourus. Not for the even slightly easily offended mind you. You have been warned.

Love the gnatcatcher.

Can't really answer your question other than I get the same with the alpha 1 and sony 200 - 600.

If you wish to expand on your profane vocabulary, check out Roger's profanisourus. Not for the even slightly easily offended mind you. You have been warned.

LOL Dave I will check it out!

Back