Name
Jim Flowers
Country
United States
City/State
Hanover/Pennsylvania
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I’m shooting the new Sony A7r5 and the newest Sigma 150-600 Sports with the native Sony e mount and the auto-focus has performed flawlessly for 90% of my subjects, flight static, etc., until I try to get focus on my small songbirds and warblers, especially in any type of nearby cover. I’ve tried various methods and settings and I normally use the “small spot” with the smaller birds. All I see is a “blob” of OOF birdy most of the time. It’s really getting quite frustrating, And I am missing far more captures than I get. I even had a scissor-tailed flycatcher sitting on barbed wire in the open and it wouldn’t focus on that either until I panned over to a fence post focused on that and then returned to the bird. It’s the same with the birds in the thick of things as I have to find a branch to focus on and then return to the bird, but most of the time the bird is already gone by the time I find it again. This camera has the new AI chip dedicated to certain subjects like human , bird, etc. and it’s set for bird…. “Duh”

I have read that this is an issue with many mirrorless cameras with “on-sensor” focusing. So how do you guys work around this? Meanwhile my vocabulary of profanity has expanded tenfold. This was NEVER an issue with my Canon DSLR’s whatsoever…

Small spot is the issue, it's just too random, something I found on the RIV. It would seemingly make sense to use it, but single centre is by far the most accurate. I'd give that a go.

Small spot is the issue, it's just too random, something I found on the RIV. It would seemingly make sense to use it, but single centre is by far the most accurate. I'd give that a go.
I'll give that a try Kevin and Thanks

I basically use tracking wide for everything wildlife except insects and don't really have any dramas with it. Was shooting a heron through some shaded shrubbery who was standing out in the open light on Sunday and the AF struggled. But what I find when this happens is if I just quickly zoom back to 200mm and try to grab focus, it basically always does get the bird straight away, then I quickly go to 600mm or whatever and take the shot. Although with small wrens in shrubs where there isn't a tonne of light available, I've found the A7RV to be really good.

With insects I use the single centre as I find it's a touch quicker, especially when the AF motors in the macro lens already aren't the fastest things around, I'll take every millisecond I can. But in all honesty even tracking wide or zone with the insects does seem to be quite good.

I have the joystick press set for swapping between 2 zones (A9ii); usually zone track and expandable track (too many zones made it confusingly slow for me), then if I can't get a lock, I'll flip across to AF-S, crank up the focus magnify and use the crosshair ---- and if that fails, then I go manual. (Or the critter has gone!)

I have the joystick press set for swapping between 2 zones (A9ii); usually zone track and expandable track (too many zones made it confusingly slow for me), then if I can't get a lock, I'll flip across to AF-S, crank up the focus magnify and use the crosshair ---- and if that fails, then I go manual. (Or the critter has gone!)

I use that too, but didn't realise you can program to cycle between only what you want there. Will take a look at it later. ✅

I simplified the Focus Area Limit. Fantastic stuff! Thank you. 🫡

I should have mentioned I do this too. I only have single centre, zone with tracking and single centre with tracking available, and I have assigned the delete button to cycle between them for quick access.

I should have mentioned I do this too. I only have single centre, zone with tracking and single centre with tracking available, and I have assigned the delete button to cycle between them for quick access.
haha, I use my trashcan for switching electric to mechanical shutter
No wuckers -- and I stuck the centre of the wheel to center the thingy (cursor?) if it gets lost on the screen.

One thing I wish the 9 did that the 7 does is to allow ISO to be put on the top right dial.

Back