All Models Back Button Focus is it still relevant

JimsZ

Followers
Following
Name
Jimbo
Hi all

Just been reading an article on this topic for Canon mirrorless and the article claims this is redundant now, especially with all the modern features found in the newer mirrorless systems… so as I’ve been using BBF since I don’t know when.. am I missing something by not letting the camera work smarter for me.

Just asking as it seems they may have a point. I have found I preferred BBF and only on a few occasions have I reverted back to make the workflow easier.

Thoughts and what do you do BBF or other 🫣

I use it still.

Don't know what I'm missing. It's been a habit for over a decade, can't see this old dog learning a new trick.

I can't cope with the number of buttons as it is.

Hi all

Just been reading an article on this topic for Canon mirrorless and the article claims this is redundant now, especially with all the modern features found in the newer mirrorless systems… so as I’ve been using BBF since I don’t know when.. am I missing something by not letting the camera work smarter for me.

Just asking as it seems they may have a point. I have found I preferred BBF and only on a few occasions have I reverted back to make the workflow easier.

Thoughts and what do you do BBF or other 🫣
It is a personal choice, a lot of fuss about nothing possibly for me and as stated it is possibly better used for custom options

I find the tracking on the A7IV amazingly good, so much so I’ll probably try normal settings with shutter trigger but probably end up carrying on with BBF.

I have found when some one wants to take a shot with my camera ( 😅 ) if I let them ( 🫣 ) they can’t work out how to shoot and get fazed by the BBF set up .. 😂

With the AF features and AF coverage I don't know why it is needed. It was only useful back when AF coverage was small because the AF coverage was small and you couldn't always compose the image you wanted with the object of focus in the AF coverage area. Now with basically everything having 95%+ coverage I don't see a real need. It could be argued that BBF was a thing because using the focus hold could get tiring or was more difficult for some types of photography.

I remember learning how to use half-press. It was an entirely new concept that came along with AF. I first experienced it with the Minolta Maxxum in the mid 1980's. I can't tell you how many times I took an unintended photo and wasted film.

My Panasonic had a hair trigger, the difference between focus and shutter was extremely light. Took many images I never intended. That one almost forced me to BBF, but eventually got used to it.

I find the tracking on the A7IV amazingly good, so much so I’ll probably try normal settings with shutter trigger ...

I still feel new to my a7iv: it's only been two months. At first, I thought I had to use a flexible spot to tell it which person's face/eye to focus on, then I realised that is so much more clever than that.

I do a sort of focus/recompose, putting the required face in the centre of the screen. The camera almost always picks up that face and tracks it. (focus area, wide+tracking). No back button involved. Nor do I use the joystick much.

My Panasonic had a hair trigger, the difference between focus and shutter was extremely light. Took many images I never intended.

I have that problem with the a7iv. Not every time, but often enough. It's easy to stop at half-press, but then slightly more pressure gives a double click. I'm trying to learn to push it more firmly and fully.

I use BBF since it is easier for me to push a button all the way down than half way. Sony has so many buttons and I use only a few and I never thought I cannot spare one for BBF.

Looks like it is certainly alive and well then. Even though some of us have never even been there.

Focus-recompose is close I suppose. Same thing really, but with a single button.

Regarding BBF does anyone know if you can custom it to a button on the 70-200 f2.8 gm lens . Hope I'm not open to ridicule on this but I'm fairly new to this art . Only reason I asked is because when I'm holding mine the lower button is really accessible and not in use .

Regarding BBF does anyone know if you can custom it to a button on the 70-200 f2.8 gm lens . Hope I'm not open to ridicule on this but I'm fairly new to this art . Only reason I asked is because when I'm holding mine the lower button is really accessible and not in use .
On the A1 you can but I'm not sure about the other models.

I only have a couple of lenses with buttons, and I use them for something else, but ISTR that they are sold as "focus hold."

Isn't that what back-button focus is? I might have misunderstood

I only have a couple of lenses with buttons, and I use them for something else, but ISTR that they are sold as "focus hold."

Isn't that what back-button focus is? I might have misunderstood
It really just is the triggering of the auto-focus independent of the release. How it works like a focus hold is that you would center the subject, hit the BBF, then recompose the image and hit the shutter release which would not trigger the AF. Some people would have settings that they would hit which would allow the AF to then work again with the shutter release.

Use of BBF will most likely slowly fall out of use as the AF systems improve even more. Obviously the use of it as a focus hold is not necessary with the AF coverage in the more recent cameras and the ability to basically select any point to focus on.

There is nothing wrong with BBF and as some have stated it works for them because the half-press doesn't. I still have a button setup to trigger the AF independent of the shutter release mostly for when I have the camera on a tripod and it is cold out.

The lens buttons are programmed to focus on my A9ii.

BBF was originally developed some years ago for the purpose of recomposimg the image before shooting by an independent full press
Focus button/means rather tnan holding down the shutter button half way and recomposjng before taking the shot. Some people had
Difficulty with Holding down the shutter button at its half way setting and then recomposing before completing the full press.

With a full press shutter button and no independent mid point focus and a full press back button focus this was found by
Some to be more logical and touch positive than judging the shutter half way press.

Modern cameras provide for recomposing much easier with eyefocus, and a range of flexible focus modes, and hence the original need
is no longer the case in the eyes of many photography pundits , whilst early BBF adopters are in many cases very reluctant to change back.

Back