Back button focus

Chrisfg1

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Still getting used to my A9 and watching various videos on settings. I've used back button focus for many years but from watching several tutorial videos it doesn't seem to be required for the A9. This would suit me as I find the function buttons smaller and more problematic on Sony cameras (big hands)! I'm just wondering what the general consensus is? I shoot mainly aviation and wildlife?

I moved from nikon to sony about a year ago. I like the feel and buttons of the nikon more, but for other reasons I wanted to move to mirrorless. I have used back button focus for years and years on the nikon system. I set the sony up for bbf as well, and I got used to it. Works fine. On mirrorless cameras with the new focus modes that use the entire sensor, I think some of the advantages of bbf somewhat go away. I still use it. If you are not used to it, I do not think you are missing a lot using the shutterbutton to activate focus.
Gary

Yes, if you do continual burst shots of a BIF I can't see that you'd need it.

I use it on my A7III works for me, it's an option some like it some don't Simple solution if you don't like it dont use it.

One positive reason to stick with the shutter button is feel.
AFOn and AEL have mediocre feel and in the cold AEL is hopeless. Talking about the A9 and A7R III.
Just rolling the thumb onto the joystick is more tactile at the risk of moving the focus area.

I have my A7R4 setup to use shutter button for expanded flexible spot, my AEL button set to add tracking to this, and my AF lock button to eye AF, this gives me 3 choices of focussing instantly. I shoot people on location and in the studio. I've only had it 2 months after switching from a Nikon D850 so still getting to know it.

I’m trying to understand the main benefit to BBF. I have the 6400, and it focuses so fast, I guess I don’t see benefit of any other way. Plus when traveling my wife might take a picture occasionally and wouldn’t want to try to explain not to use the shutter button!

I've shot using it for years and could never go back. The main benefit for me, is having the camera constantly focussing using AFC without the need to have the shutter button half pressed, that just seems alien to me now, it's not quick. I converted my wife to it too, she spent a couple of hours getting used to it, but would never go back either.
The main thing though is what you shoot. It's really only of use for Wildlife or sports where you are constantly tracking your subject.

I use it all the time. It is what I am used to so don’t really know any other way. I don’t see the point in half pressing the trigger.

It is mainly used for tracking during wildlife or fast moving objects where you are constantly tracking but I am so used to it I have never changed it back.

I would say try it and see if you like it, if you don’t stick with normal focussing methods. It’s all what you like and what works for you.

I used back button focus with my Nikon gear for years and when I switched to Sony I carried on with the practice. Sony bodies really do not need it like Nikon did but the muscle memory reaches for the button.

I used back button focus with my Nikon gear for years and when I switched to Sony I carried on with the practice. Sony bodies really do not need it like Nikon did but the muscle memory reaches for the button.
Plus the Sony bodies come with it enabled, though you have to switch of focus on the shutter button. Pentax are exactly the same.

I have my A9II setup to use shutter button for tracking wide, the back button focus for Eye AF, and the AEL for switch from tracking wide to tracking expanded flexible spot.

I had BBF set up on my Nikon and it was the first thing I set up on my A7iii when I made the jump on its introduction. It is, in my view, a much better way of shooting than with the half button press.

AlthouGH the real time eye focus is on I also have the lens hold button on the 3 lens I have set up for eye focus so I can use the small spot focus mode to tell the camera which face I want it to focus on but call up eye focus across the screen if necessary, very quickly.

it all allows me to have a camera that makes it very easy to adjust focus selection very quickly.

Back