Sony A6000 Back button single focus?

benmunro

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Ben Munro
Hi all,

Long time no post. Not had much time to get out with my camera lately. although managed to snap a few images of the cows on the local pasture land and some of the Humber Bridge this morning (nothing special as I was in a rush).

Anyway, I realised if I hold the shutter halfway to focus and then press the middle 'select' button (the one on the back), it went to single focus (I think).

Just wondering if anyone knows what this function is? I've not set up any custom buttons... yet, so was just intrigued as to what it was/is.

Cheers!
B.

Hi Ben,
The default operation is that you depress the shutter button halfway to focus and then press all the way to shoot.

The rear button you refer to is AF On and will override the shutter button for focus if pressed

Most professional shooters turn off the shutter halfway press in the custom menus and set the AF On to AF + area mode or other
Secondary action......this mode of operation is commonly referred to as "back button focussing"

If you retain the shutter and halfway press with say zone focussing set, you can alternatively set the AF ON with spot area focussing
Via the function key Fn which will give you the option to focus and shoot in zone via the shutter button, or depress the rear button to
shoot spot focus and Whilst holding it down depress the shutter button all the way to Take the shot.

There are many permutations, the above are two only.

Suggest you look at the Marc Galer videos on you tube who is a sony ambassador where he covers thr set up for all the sony mirrorless
camera range.

Hope this helps

Back