Name
Roy Priest
Country
Canada
City/State
White Rock, B.C.
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I know this is a well known problem but I am getting frustrated. Yesterday when photographing Barred Owls a Red-breasted nuthatch landed quite close to me. I turned the camera, A1 and 70-200 f2.8, and I just couldn't get the lens to focus. What I have been doing is point the lens at the ground then acquire focus. This works when I have time but when I need to focus fast I lose shots., I have dual button back focus with one button set to small spot but I still can't focus using this setting. Any suggestions?

Check the screws on the back of the lens and make sure they are all tight. This has been the cause of some focus issues for me in the past. Now I just check every couple months.

Check the screws on the back of the lens and make sure they are all tight. This has been the cause of some focus issues for me in the past. Now I just check every couple months.
Interesting, I'll check it out, thanks

Not to state the obvious, but is the lens set to infinity-3m?

Last edited:
The obvious that i would check first are minimum focus distance of the lens, the lens focus range limiter setting not compatible with your subject to lens shooting distance and/or inadvertent pressing of the lens body focus hold hutton(if you have it active)

Outside of these occasional shooting errors I have never really had any focus issues with my 70-200mm G1 or Ii

Back