Sony A7 IV Bird in Flight Focusing Options

russellsnr

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Russell Webb (snr)
Hi, out yesterday photographing Red Kites at a feeding station with the A7 IV, had it set to track birds but every time when another bird/s flew into the shot it jumped around, could not make it's mind as to what bird I was pointing it at. any tips on setting/s to stop this happening please? Camera set to Drive Mode Continuous, Focus Continuous, Tracking sensitivity 5 Responsive, AF On Thankyou, Russ.

Hi Russel ,
which focus mode do you have selected Wide, Zone, Zone tracking etc

In addition to lowering your focus sensitivity to 3 or lower and with Bird AI selected, if you are set to Wide Tracking , say, you will exacerbate the problem if you are not able to keep your desired subject in the center of the VF. In going to Zone tracking you will improve the overall situation and even more so in going to expanded spot or other as long as you are able to keep your focus spot on the preferred subject.

Personally i use Zone Tracking for BIF against a sky or BIF with a distant background with spot or other for larger birds which tend to fly more slowly.

Hope this helps.....

Hi Russel ,
which focus mode do you have selected Wide, Zone, Zone tracking etc

In addition to lowering your focus sensitivity to 3 or lower and with Bird AI selected, if you are set to Wide Tracking , say, you will exacerbate the problem if you are not able to keep your desired subject in the center of the VF. In going to Zone tracking you will improve the overall situation and even more so in going to expanded spot or other as long as you are able to keep your focus spot on the preferred subject.

Personally i use Zone Tracking for BIF against a sky or BIF with a distant background with spot or other for larger birds which tend to fly more slowly.

Hope this helps.....
Hi Russel concerning keeping your image in the center of the viewfinder is not strictly correct and should read
To keep your subject in the center of the set focus area. Apologies for my lack of precision.

Hi Russel concerning keeping your image in the center of the viewfinder is not strictly correct and should read
To keep your subject in the center of the set focus area. Apologies for my lack of precision.
Hi, zone is my preference, I am thinking that the problem as stated by others is the sensitivity at 5 but will have to wait until I can get out again. Many thanks to all for the advice. Russ.

I use #1 (lock on) focus sensitivity, and Tracking Zone…. And I have set a button to toggle between bird | person | animal. I’m not sure why but on the A7iv it seems to help the camera to remind it I’m still looking at bird.

Back