Twistofer56

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tristan Kohut
I'm not new to photography, but new to the digital realm. I'm just getting back to photography in my retirement. I still have my Nikon FM-2 and it's lenses. Yes I did my own developing and printing...both in B&W and Color (slides). Yes, those were the days of bear skins and flint knives...

So much to learn in the digital world...exciting. Perhaps an old dog can learn new tricks. I look forward to your suggestions and feedback.

My setup:

Sony A7c (of course)

SONY FE 70-300/4.5-5.6 G OSS F/ E-MOUNT (used)
SONY FE 24-105mm/f4 G OSS
SONY FE 85mm/f1.6
ToKina SZX 400mm/f8 Reflex w/2x extender
LensBaby Composer II w/50mm Edge lens
Niceyrig L Bracket
and a whole bunch of "stuff"

PS: MacBook Pro M1Pro and Dx0 software. (I looked at Photoshop and Dx0; Dx0 seemed to be better right now)

Welcome and glad you are jumping in. I used slide film for years (and the occasional black & white print) but am now fully digital. Did someone give you the camera? I am just curious because based on your description I assume you are a still photographer and the Sony models that end in c (as I understand it) are aimed at video users. Of course they can take stills, but they are not aimed at people who shoot stills primarily (or exclusively, as I do).

Welcome and glad you are jumping in. I used slide film for years (and the occasional black & white print) but am now fully digital. Did someone give you the camera? I am just curious because based on your description I assume you are a still photographer and the Sony models that end in c (as I understand it) are aimed at video users. Of course they can take stills, but they are not aimed at people who shoot stills primarily (or exclusively, as I do).
Interesting…I spent about 3-4 mos doing my “homework,” so to speak, and found this one to fit my needs for a light, compact camera with interchangeable lenses that fit nicely in my hands and well balanced. It seems to have the right balance of features and simplicity.

Perhaps you might recommend something else?

Actually, models ending with “c” are “compact“ - the A7C is effectively a “compact A7”.

It’s the A7S models that are the video-centric models.

'C' for Compact.
'S' for Sensitivity. Lower MP, usually thought of as video-centric.

Actually, models ending with “c” are “compact“ - the A7C is effectively a “compact A7”.

It’s the A7S models that are the video-centric models.
Oh yes, I stand corrected.

'C' for Compact.
'S' for Sensitivity. Lower MP, usually thought of as video-centric.
Thanks - I keep forgetting the (incredibly obvious!) “sensitivity” :) - maybe I should remember that it’s sensitive about its pixel count?

Welcome to Sony :)

Welcome to the forum Tristan and thank you for joining up here. Thanks also for upgrading your membership and helping to support the site. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

I'm not new to photography, but new to the digital realm. I'm just getting back to photography in my retirement. I still have my Nikon FM-2 and it's lenses. Yes I did my own developing and printing...both in B&W and Color (slides). Yes, those were the days of bear skins and flint knives...

So much to learn in the digital world...exciting. Perhaps an old dog can learn new tricks. I look forward to your suggestions and feedback.

My setup:

Sony A7c (of course)

SONY FE 70-300/4.5-5.6 G OSS F/ E-MOUNT (used)
SONY FE 24-105mm/f4 G OSS
SONY FE 85mm/f1.6
ToKina SZX 400mm/f8 Reflex w/2x extender
LensBaby Composer II w/50mm Edge lens
Niceyrig L Bracket
and a whole bunch of "stuff"

PS: MacBook Pro M1Pro and Dx0 software. (I looked at Photoshop and Dx0; Dx0 seemed to be better right now)
Wow, i've been known to take a hiatus to recharge my creativity batteries, but 40 years is the longest i've heard about! Welcome :)

Back