Bad Habits...

• Thread starter Deleted Member 5045
  • Start date
Just don’t do it if you are shooting wide open in an f/1.2 or wider - recompose can mean you shift your subject out of the depth of field. Move the focus point to where you want to compose your subject (or use centre focus + tracking, THEN recompose and verify your focus point is still on the subject).

Am I speaking from bitter experience? Um, would believe me if I said no? :unsure:
This is incorrect. The camera focuses on ONE plane across the entire lens. If you focus on your subject and they don't move, they will be in focus regardless of where you place them in the frame, unless your lens has severe problems away from the center.

This is incorrect. The camera focuses on ONE plane across the entire lens. If you focus on your subject and they don't move, they will be in focus regardless of where you place them in the frame, unless your lens has severe problems away from the center.
sometimes people just need to learn the camera and the system

sometimes people just need to learn the camera and the system
Exactly. Everything has limitations.

If focus/recompose were a problem we wouldn't have been able to do it at all with MF. It was even the recommended method in the users' manuals that came with the cameras. Obviously this is within reason. Focusing and reframing for composition is one thing, focusing and then putting someone down in the corner of the frame presents other problems.

How do you recompose? Do you scamper sideways until they line up in the right spot (holding the camera in the exact same plane)? Or do you change the angle of the camera? I do the latter. With a wide aperture (eg: f/1.2 lens wide open) the depth of field can be very shallow, and that change of angle can be enough to move the eyes from in focus to out of focus.

Generally, when I recompose I'm moving my desired focus point some distance away from the centre, so I'm tilting the camera, and hence the plane of focus, by a noticeable amount, and the further my focus point is from the centre, the more the plane of focus will move.

Sure, shooting in the studio at f/8, no worries - I have plenty of depth of field to play with. But I said quite specifically, "if you are shooting wide open in an f/1.2 or wider".

I'm surprised you think think is incorrect.

How do you recompose? Do you scamper sideways until they line up in the right spot (holding the camera in the exact same plane)? Or do you change the angle of the camera? I do the latter. With a wide aperture (eg: f/1.2 lens wide open) the depth of field can be very shallow, and that change of angle can be enough to move the eyes from in focus to out of focus.

Generally, when I recompose I'm moving my desired focus point some distance away from the centre, so I'm tilting the camera, and hence the plane of focus, by a noticeable amount, and the further my focus point is from the centre, the more the plane of focus will move.

Sure, shooting in the studio at f/8, no worries - I have plenty of depth of field to play with. But I said quite specifically, "if you are shooting wide open in an f/1.2 or wider".

I'm surprised you think think is incorrect.
Good grief, that's an awful long stretch to prove you're right.

People have been doing this for decades. It's been recommended for decades. Like anything else, common sense has to be applied.

Mine is rushing as well and as well as this thinking it was a competition when it wasn't.
I have got totally over the competition part of it now but I still notice here and there I will rush a little.
I know when I am doing it and those shot do show some blur to them.
But not I would say it is editing. I edit to what I like not what others like but sometimes I just go too far or too little.
This does bug me, so I try to keep a hold one what I am doing.
I do think this is a good question as well.
One other thing in which I think is important is that not having the money to get the A7r 4 or now 5.
But at the time the a7r3 was out and I should of got this one. But I am happy enough with what I have got.
I say work to what you have and not work to what you have not got. So this means make the most of what you have and be happy with that.

I just remembered another one and I think this could be the point to me and it is starting out on this adventure (hobby) a little late in life.
I really wished I started in my early 50's and not early 60's.

Last edited:
Glad I created this post because I have a great example now! So yesterday after trying a new program and not being impressed, I decided to finally move from the kid's version of LR and start using LR Classic instead. I haven't really done a great deal with the sharpening stuff in the time I've been doing this, I used to just rip the texture up when I wanted it to be more detailed. So anyway, I spent a bit of time understanding the sharpening side of it last night on LR Classic and this was the first image I edited on there.

Sort of soul searching today. Do I just re-edit all my nicer images from the past few months or so, I don't know, feel like an idiot really!

Anyway, this top one was my edit from last week on my kid's LR, and the second image was my one from last night on LR Classic...

View attachment 47782View attachment 47784

At least I will be better for it moving forward... 🫤

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you answered your own question Clint, this is the problem with free or cut down editing software, they hide the good tools from you but you dont know until you try something else or a full version, editing like it or not is part of digital shooting :)

Indeed mate. I'm quite embarrassed and I feel like I've let myself down, but I wanted to share that with you guys. I'm in a world of hurt right now...

Going to be sitting real pretty from here on though..! 🚀

Indeed mate. I'm quite embarrassed and I feel like I've let myself down, but I wanted to share that with you guys. I'm in a world of hurt right now...

Going to be sitting real pretty from here on though..! 🚀
I dont think any of your shots were a million miles off it anyway Clint but for sure if you shoot landscape a full version editing software will drag every once from your shots once learned (y) :)

I dont think any of your shots were a million miles off it anyway Clint but for sure if you shoot landscape a full version editing software will drag every once from your shots once learned (y) :)

If I'm roaming around with the gear that I have then it ain't doing any justice by under doing it.

Anyway, bad habits it is... 😄

If I'm roaming around with the gear that I have then it ain't doing any justice by under doing it.

Anyway, bad habits it is... 😄
Be careful with sharpening, it can become a bad habit on its own. Over sharpening is obnoxious.

I'm with spud, nothing wrong with what you've been posting.

Be careful with sharpening, it can become a bad habit on its own. Over sharpening is obnoxious.

I'm with spud, nothing wrong with what you've been posting.

I promise to keep it classy..! ❤️

New in Marketplace

Back