Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
These birds in my area are supposed to be very secretive and this makes them hard to get. But with the floods and then lots of rain has made conditions for them ideal.
At one of our wetlands one has been found to be walking about from time to time.
I asked one of the male members of our local group to be told it is out the back. Now there are 5 long ponds so thanks for the clue (NOT).
But I went looking and seen 2 small wetland bird and then this one came walking out and I was real happy.
Ettiwanda 6-07-2023 (713).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021
  • 402.8 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 3200
Ettiwanda 6-07-2023 (714).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 402.8 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 3200
Ettiwanda 6-07-2023 (737).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 402.8 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 3200
Ettiwanda 6-07-2023 (770).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 402.8 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 3200
Ettiwanda 6-07-2023 (791).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 402.8 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 3200

Rails are the same everywhere, very elusive birds. These are great Ralph. What a beautifully marked bird.

Rails are the same everywhere, very elusive birds. These are great Ralph. What a beautifully marked bird.
They are quite a big thing around here at the moment for that elusive reason at the moment.
As in the wetlands where they are if you wait long enough it will come out.
One fella has found just where it was and has lied just where he found it for some greedy reason.
There are over 12 pond and I asked to be told it is out the back but which one of those 6 out the back is it.
I seen a couple of Spotted Crake's and thought that is a good sign and it was.
This is when this came out and I finally got it, being only the 2nd to post it to the local page but it was a big deal.
Well not really so I just decided if it was not that special don't come asking to where I found it.
Funny our bird mob are so selfish these days which it wasn't in the beginning.

They are quite a big thing around here at the moment for that elusive reason at the moment.
As in the wetlands where they are if you wait long enough it will come out.
One fella has found just where it was and has lied just where he found it for some greedy reason.
There are over 12 pond and I asked to be told it is out the back but which one of those 6 out the back is it.
I seen a couple of Spotted Crake's and thought that is a good sign and it was.
This is when this came out and I finally got it, being only the 2nd to post it to the local page but it was a big deal.
Well not really so I just decided if it was not that special don't come asking to where I found it.
Funny our bird mob are so selfish these days which it wasn't in the beginning.
That's twitchers the world over Ralph, they all think they own the bird and it's theirs alone to see, and not for anyone to photograph, god forbid.
I've always been willing to pass location info on, provided I feel the person is trustworthy, which most are. There have been occasions when I haven't though

That's twitchers the world over Ralph, they all think they own the bird and it's theirs alone to see, and not for anyone to photograph, god forbid.
I've always been willing to pass location info on, provided I feel the person is trustworthy, which most are. There have been occasions when I haven't though
Thank you for that more that important information for me. As now it give me more of an insight into what goes on not just here.
I don't regularly give up information on where some birds are for example. We have a bird here where most of us would love to see their numbers build.
It is called the Mallee Fowl. I was shown a photo of what some so called bird photographers had done.
These birds build their nest in mounds of decomposing leaf litter and they regulate the temperature with their beaks and if it is too hot they will take layers of sand and litter off until it is right and by night come back and cover it over.
We there people in 2 large 4x4s put chains between them and drove off clearing a path so they could get a photo.
But what they really done was destroyed a nest for good as the birds would of seen what had happened and just left it.

So after this I said I would not tell people where the harder to find birds are but the common ones don't mind about them.
This is how I go about it. And I don't care who I mislead as I know for sure they have mislead me from time to time.
Thanks for your answer Kevin as it has helped.

Back