Name
David Daw
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Bury St Edmunds
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I have a Sony RX10iv that uses the same NPFW50 kind of battery as my A7rii. The RX10iv I have had for a couple of years, while the A7rii is a new arrival, and I already have a selection of genuine Sony and generic Duracell batteries. The RX10 does not care what brand of battery is used, but the A7 is very fussy about batteries and a warning appears on screen about the incorrect type of battery being fitted and it then refuses to play ball.

Is this normal behaviour, and can I do anything about it other than using only Sony's expensive batteries

Last edited:
Is that the same as the NP-FW50 batteries for the APSC line-up? If so, my a6000 and a6400 did not have the same issue with aftermarket batteries, not once did it say "incorrect battery" or anything to that effect.
HOWEVER, I recently had an issue with 3-yr-old aftermarket batteries swelling up on me and getting stuck in the camera, here's the thread:

In the end, although this forum favors genuine Sony batteries, I still went for a new set of 3rd-party batteries (Wasabi brand). So far so good...

I’ve heard of this, but never experienced it. Both the RIII and IV do fine with aftermarket. Like Chris, the A6000 doesn’t seem to mind either.

I have always used Sony batteries in my Sony cameras. Yes, they are more expensive but in the long run I feel better and somewhat more secure that there will be less likelihood of problems.

The weird thing is that I am using the camera with a battery grip and when a Duracell battery is in position #1 with a Sony battery in position #2, the camera shows the message about an incompatible battery and refuses to play. Change the batteries over and it plays ball, even happily using the Duracell battery after it has exhausted the Sony. How strange is that?

The weird thing is that I am using the camera with a battery grip and when a Duracell battery is in position #1 with a Sony battery in position #2, the camera shows the message about an incompatible battery and refuses to play. Change the batteries over and it plays ball, even happily using the Duracell battery after it has exhausted the Sony. How strange is that?
Is it a Sony grip?

Back