Best bash/bang protective cover for Sony 200-660 lens?

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

LandyShooter

Followers
Following
Name
LandyShooter
I'm after a protective cover for my shiny new Sony 200-600 lens. The main aims of it in priority would be:
A. Protect it from bangs and bumps - it will have a hard life in the middle seat of a 4x4 in Africa etc
B. not interfere with operation of the lens including handheld
C. keep it cooler when in African heat (I guess this is a good thing?!)
D. make me look like I know what I'm doing with it :)
Can anybody suggest the best options please?

Various brands are available such as Easycover, RolanPro and various thoughts on other forums:
https://www.outdoorphotographygear.co.uk/
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4582067

I tried the neoprene cover on a 200-600mm but did not think it is very comfortable to operate the lens. The owner had the cover on for some and it felt, he had never washed it. When I got my lens, I covered it with vinyl from the gun store.
Camouflage Tape
It only prevents the lens from scratches not bumping into something but it helps with the shiny reflection.
I never had problems with the heat, only with the cold that effected the camera itself. I also don’t go out in heavy rain with my camera.

I had a RolanPro cover for my 100-400GM and found it make the lens more difficult to work with because it would slide around. I can tell you from personal experience that the 200-600 is a pretty tough lens and resists marks pretty well as I dropped it from about 1 meter onto a concert floor and it bounced twice. Unless I would point it out to you would not have noticed. I have since added skins to my lens which I guess would help with A, meets B requirement, not sure it would help with C but not sure what really would help with that and I guess the options can both help or hurt for requirement D depending on what you get and what whoever you are with thinks.

I have the Obsidian Camo on my 200-600 and 100-400 and I think they look good.

As with others, I hate neoprene skins generally, and so when I got the 200 600 bought an Alphagard skin for it. It's been on 3 years and looks as good as new.

It's a precision instrument, I don't think it should be bashed and banged full stop. If your main concern is it getting knocked about on your back seat I'd suggest putting it in a soft bag or wrapping it right up in a towel.

I've never understood why people put stickers and stuff on their big lenses anyway, it makes it look super cheap. To me it gives the opposite view of a 'professional' look, in my opinion professionals look after their equipment, not cover it with cheap synthetic adhesives. Just doesn't make any sense at all to me.

With an exception to sponsorship stickers I guess...

Attach it to the camera and put it in a diced foam box on the back seat of the 4x4. If you slam on the brakes, it’s safe.

0E1699EB-15F4-4A49-9896-234EF8FA1F27.jpeg
  • iPhone 14 Pro
  • iPhone 14 Pro back triple camera 6.86mm f/1.78
  • 6.9 mm
  • ƒ/1.7799999713881
  • 1/25 sec
  • ISO 800

4CD71756-27A6-4CAC-9391-C95FA78259E9.jpeg

What is an Alphaguard Skin then please?
I posted the link earlier to them. Here are 2 of the 3 skins I have. Note that they do have some sections that cover the zoom and focus rings but I've left those off.

20230418_192717.jpg
  • Galaxy S23 Ultra
  • 6.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.7
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 500

It's a precision instrument, I don't think it should be bashed and banged full stop. If your main concern is it getting knocked about on your back seat I'd suggest putting it in a soft bag or wrapping it right up in a towel.

I've never understood why people put stickers and stuff on their big lenses anyway, it makes it look super cheap. To me it gives the opposite view of a 'professional' look, in my opinion professionals look after their equipment, not cover it with cheap synthetic adhesives. Just doesn't make any sense at all to me.

With an exception to sponsorship stickers I guess...
I noticed, the birds don’t like the shine and reflecting white lens paint. The camo sticker solved the problem. Also here in the US, you are so cool with camo lens and everybody believes you are a professional wildlife photographer.

Attach it to the camera and put it in a diced foam box on the back seat of the 4x4. If you slam on the brakes, it’s safe.

View attachment 36844

View attachment 36845
Your post prompted me to get an additional case. The full kit exceeds weight restrictions for overhead luggage unless I leave some of the primes behind, which is ok. So, I doubt I’ll use the 200-600, then coughed up about Aus $55 and purchased a travel kit suitcase for my trip to Bali next week.

IMG_5334.jpeg
  • iPhone 14 Pro
  • iPhone 14 Pro back triple camera 6.86mm f/1.78
  • 6.9 mm
  • ƒ/1.7799999713881
  • 1/25 sec
  • ISO 1000

I noticed, the birds don’t like the shine and reflecting white lens paint. The camo sticker solved the problem. Also here in the US, you are so cool with camo lens and everybody believes you are a professional wildlife photographer.

So now I know why I can't get any decent bird shots. I'm not cool enough..! 🥺

Thanks for all of the different opinions everybody.
I am filming in Africa from a cramped vehicle cab, cameras need to be ready to go right next to me as shots pop up and disappear very quickly.
For an idea, have a look at the opening few scenes from Will's video here - same vehicle and door mount system that I have:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmZjFOgSUj0
Though I am driving on much worse roads than those displayed most of the time. Corrugations all of the time.
So the 'sticker' solution gets rid of the white colour which animals don't seem to like, stop scratches, but doesn't provide much for the bumps and bangs that will definitely happen in my filming environment - swinging a lens of this size and weight in a hurry to get a great shot will mean you whack it on the steering wheel and so forth quite often, Managing the weight is hard as you are sitting and facing forwards and moving it from left to right over the steering wheel. Plus I'm in the EU and getting anything from the USA isn't worth the costs involved.

So one of the neoprene covers seems better for protection, but as noted, it makes it harder to operate...

Damn, no easy solution!

What size is this case, Gaz?
Overall size is 550x450x200 millimeters. I got it from the local hardware store complete with diced foam for around Aus $75. The brand is tactix. It’s IP65 and pressurized.

The camera stores have similar products for 5x the price, so look for a tool box!

What size is this case, Gaz?

Overall size is 550x450x200 millimeters. I got it from the local hardware store complete with diced foam for around Aus $75. The brand is tactix. It’s IP65 and pressurized.

The camera stores have similar products for 5x the price, so look for a tool box!

The expensive brand name here in the US is Pelican. Check Harbor Freight for a viable discount version called 'Apache'. They have 3 or 4 different sizes available. I think black or dessert tan too.

64250_W2.jpg

Last edited:

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back